Author Topic: YEM Question  (Read 1697 times)

Offline stkeys

YEM Question
« on: March 29, 2023, 02:47:48 PM »
I have YEM V 2.9 installed and working with a PSR SX900. I had installed 5 expansion packs from 3rd party sellers and created an install pack for the SX900.

I've just received my Genos and set it up with YEM but I was surprised to see all the same SX900 expansion packs in the Genos YEM page as I was under the belief that you needed Genos specific expansion pack files to be able to create the Install Pack.
All the EP's in the Genos YEM page had green ticks so I went ahead and created the Install Pack and installed them on the Genos. So far they seem to be working.
Would they sound different if I loaded the actual Genos Expansion Packs?

My question is why are the SX900 packs showing up in the Genos YEM page?
Can you delete packs from YEM? If so how?

I have the SX900 up for sale so is there a way to delete the SX900 information from YEM or should I uninstall and reinstall a fresh copy of YEM then setup the Genos in it?

Thanks.

Offline BogdanH

Re: YEM Question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 03:29:20 PM »
You can import any pack into YEM at any time. Means, you can have installed packs for Genos and SX900 at the same time. If you have packs that are made for specific keyboard, then it's a good practice to have them properly named (i.e. "Latin-SX900"), so you can distinguish them.
While you're in My Packs view, you can remove pack from YEM by selecting the pack and then click [>] button at the top of the YEM (Delete option will appear).

If both (Genos and SX900) packs contain the same voices and styles, then it doesn't matter which one you use to create "install" pack for Genos (or for SX900) -it will sound the same. But keep in mind: style for Genos might use voices which are only built in Genos. In this case such style won't sound properly on SX900 -to get good result, you will need to "revoice" such style.

My question is why are the SX900 packs showing up in the Genos YEM page?
There's no Genos (or SX900) YEM page... by selecting particular keyboard in Install Target column, you only define for which keyboard you wish to create install pack. YEM sees all packs equally, because technically, there's no difference between (for example) Genos or SX600 pack. By selecting content (voices & styles) for install pack, you need to pay attention what pack you use as source (so you make sure styles will sound properly).
To remove particular keyboard in Install Target, you select desired keyboard and click on [>] button at the top of the column.
This are basic YEM functions which you should learn and I highly recommend you take time and read YEM manual.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline stkeys

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 04:06:48 PM »
Thanks Bogdan, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I understand how things work in YEM better now.
I loaded the Genos packs in and renamed them to prevent any confusion between the SX900 and Genos packs, then created an Genos specific Install pack file.

Regards,

Steve.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 04:11:28 PM »
Hi Steve,

I was interrupted several times while writing my post. I just saw that Bogdan has already replied. Nevertheless, here is my full answer: :)

All packs that have been imported into the YEM so far are always displayed under "My Packs". Unneeded packs can be deleted from the YEM as follows:

1. Select the pack to be deleted under "My Packs".
2. Click on the [>] icon next to "My Packs" and select "Delete".

If you click on a specific "Install Target" (e.g. Genos), all packs will also be displayed. For packs that are not compatible with this instrument, hovering over them will say "This pack cannot be installed on the selected instrument" and there is no arrow icon to select the pack.

Note: Yamaha packs in protected .cpf format can only be used for a specific model (e.g. for Genos, but not for SX900). Third-party packs in protected .cpf format can even only be used on a single instrument (for whose Instrument Info file the pack was created).

Unprotected packs (.ppf format) can basically be installed on all YEM-compatible models. However, some Voices may not install on certain models. In many cases the contents of unprotected (.ppf) packs are identical for multiple models, even though there is a separate version for each model. However, there MAY be differences. If there is a Genos version of the unprotected SX900 packs you have used so far, I recommend that you use that one.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 06:00:54 PM »
Off Topic

Hi Chris,
I was interrupted several times while writing my post. I just saw that Bogdan has already replied. Nevertheless, here is my full answer: :)
haha.. happens to me many times when I try to make good explanation by keeping post as short as possible :)

Greetings,
Bogdan

Edit 2023-03-29 by overover: Added "Off Topic" note
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 07:02:31 PM by overover »
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 06:59:18 PM »
Off Topic

Hi Chris,haha.. happens to me many times when I try to make good explanation by keeping post as short as possible :)

Greetings,
Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,

Yes, I think it's probably the same for others who answer technical user questions here. My principle is to keep my posts as short as possible, but as detailed as necessary. :)

All the best,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 07:02:52 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)