Author Topic: Looking for a Piano voice ("Felt Piano")  (Read 1651 times)

Offline jaebea

Looking for a Piano voice ("Felt Piano")
« on: March 29, 2023, 08:25:45 AM »
A "Felt Piano" voice.  I can play that voice on my midi keyboard through a program Keyscape but can't run that program through my SX900.  Has anyone seen it in any expansion packs?  I've looked around a bit but haven't run across it.

Edit 2023-03-29 by overover: "Felt Piano" added in the subject
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 09:38:05 AM by overover »

Offline overover

Re: Looking for a Piano voice ("Felt Piano")
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 09:42:37 AM »
A "Felt Piano" voice.  I can play that voice on my midi keyboard through a program Keyscape but can't run that program through my SX900.  Has anyone seen it in any expansion packs?  I've looked around a bit but haven't run across it.

Hi jaebea,

I haven't noticed a "Felt Piano" sound in Expansion Packs so far.

Here are some facts about the "Felt Piano" sound:
>>> https://www-bonedo-de.translate.goog/artikel/felt-piano-der-besondere-klaviersound-workshop/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Here is a link to a demo video of the "Felt Piano" in Keyscape:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjAl0bV7s5M

It sounds to me a bit like a mixture of grand piano and electric piano. Perhaps you could tinker with such a sound on the SX900 by significantly lowering the treble (Part EQ) and/or reducing the cut-off frequency (Voice Edit) and possibly adding a soft e-piano to a suitable grand piano voice.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 09:48:24 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline jaebea

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 08:09:19 AM »
Thanks Chris.  I do own Keyscape (and Omnisphere) and the Felt Piano came in on an update.  It is beautiful.  That is why I came here asking about it.  I guess I will have to see what I can come up with.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 04:16:46 PM »

Edit 2023-03-29 by overover: "Felt Piano" added in the subject

Maybe you can use a program like sample Robot or extreme sampler converter to sample the Keyscape and then program the sound using Yamaha Expasion manager

Offline Bill

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 01:36:53 PM »
I see that Yamaha have added a Felt Piano to the YC series through a new OS upgrade.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/music_production/stagekeyboards/yc/updates.html#product-tabs

Bill
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 01:42:10 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 10:27:56 PM »

Hi jaebea,

Some time ago I found the following "Double Felt Grand" soundfont (.sf2 format):
>>> https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/2814

I imported this .sf2 file into the YEM and made some small changes (Common Volume set to 127 and Insert Effect "Hall 4" with depth 30 set for all voices and created a suitable pack icon).

I then exported the pack in .ppf format. It can be downloaded from my Dropbox here:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/eymb9lxapu0u1k4/DoubleFeltGrand%20-%20InsertHall4_30.zip?dl=0

Note: You don't need to sign up or log in to dropbox com. If you get such a popup, just close or ignore it and click the Download (down arrow) button.

The download size of the zip file is 163 MB. The unzipped .ppf pack contains a total of 10 voices and requires 344 MB in the YEM when all voices are selected. The main voice "DblFelt Grand" alone only needs 35 MB. I've attached a screenshot of the pack content.

Have fun!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 12:08:23 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, juketsu, metsasarv, angusprune, LarsMoss, wersianer, pmahl, Roshure, BogdanH, jazzy_beat

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 12:24:14 PM »
Very interesting this "double felt" sound and is definitely a keeper. Also thank you for link to SF2 file, so we have something to play with  :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 03:05:21 PM »
Very interesting this "double felt" sound and is definitely a keeper. Also thank you for link to SF2 file, so we have something to play with  :)

Bogdan

Happy to help, Bogdan! Yes, this intimate, noisy "felted piano" sound (listen to the Keyscapes demo video linked above) is an "insider tip" for many purposes. :)

It would be nice if Yamaha would add sounds of this type as preset voices in upcoming arranger models.

P.S.
I would be happy if the thread starter (jaebea), who was looking for a "felted piano" expansion pack, would report back here.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline jaebea

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2023, 04:21:43 AM »
Wow, thank you Chris!!  I didn't get an email notification that there was more activity on this thread.  I just dropped by to read posts of interest and saw you had added a sound file!  I will be trying it out and reporting back.  Looking forward to this!