Author Topic: Tyros 5 and Windows 11 compatibility.  (Read 1781 times)

reefisher

Tyros 5 and Windows 11 compatibility.
« on: March 28, 2023, 08:47:06 PM »
Has anybody run into problems using Windows 11 with the Tyros 5?   I used to be able to use my XP laptop with my psr 1500 and using Notation Musician run midi songs from the laptop, edit, ect.   Then I bought a Tyros 5 and have never been able to use the laptop.   I am going to buy a new small form PC with Windows 11 or 10 installed, my choice.  Wanting to check if there will be any problem using W11.   

Offline adrianed

Re: Tyros 5 and Windows 11 compatibility.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 09:03:40 PM »
No problems with mine reefisher I have been using windows 11 for months now, perhaps I haven’t done the same things as you.
Adrian

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 09:08:15 PM »
Do yourself a favour. Stick with Windows 10.

The Internet will tell you all you need to know about Windows 11 and it doesn't make good reading. Unfortunately Microsoft have brought out their latest O/s and as always it's full of bugs, incompatibilities and problems that, invariably, the end user... You, will have endless nightmares sorting out. Good luck with that! I run 5 pc' s here, and all of them are running happily on W10. I wouldn't touch W11 with a barge pole.

Windows 10 will work for you too just fine. 😊

But like you say.... Your choice.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 09:12:59 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

reefisher

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 09:27:59 PM »
Do yourself a favour. Stick with Windows 10.

The Internet will tell you all you need to know about Windows 11 and it doesn't make good reading. Unfortunately Microsoft have brought out their latest O/s and as always it's full of bugs, incompatibilities and problems that, invariably, the end user... You, will have endless nightmares sorting out. Good luck with that! I run 5 pc' s here, and all of them are running happily on W10. I wouldn't touch W11 with a barge pole.

Windows 10 will work for you too just fine. 😊

But like you say.... Your choice.

That is pretty much what I have been thinking.  Thanks for the response. 

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 12:55:29 PM »
I agree. Win 10 is better!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Online EileenL

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 03:37:33 PM »
Have been using Windows 11 for a long time now and with no problems at all. Don't believe all you read.

Offline adrianed

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2023, 09:33:03 PM »
Toril S

Better at what, why do you think that

I agree only in that we have to search for some things because they have moved them, can’t see why they do this, they have done it with all versions
We do need to move foreword though, we have to keep ahead of hackers etc and like we do with the keyboards it’s mostly nice to have more advanced machines, almost like a  new car when the old one is still good

Adrian
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 10:21:33 PM by adrianed »

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 10:04:19 PM »
Biggest problem for Microsoft is that they have chosen to introduce this Windows 11 version at a time where a very great number of business users simply cannot afford to not simply upgrade as on previous versions of Windows, but to have to completely replace tens of thousands of perfectly running current pc's due to  UEFI and TPM2 non compatability and motherboard hardware issues. That's not their call, and it has been very poorly received. They will, and already have lost a lot of business because of it.

Basically, unless you can AFFORD to buy a new computer, or have a very recent one, you can't have Windows 11. Well they have got well and truly stuffed on that one! Bye bye Microsoft!

Unfortunately after a global pandemic and pretty well worldwide recession, there just isn't the money to go out on a spending spree for new computers just because Microsoft decided to make a version of Windows that won't work on most existing computers. It just won't happen. The corporate bean counters will make sure of it.
And I also suspect that most home users will be reluctant to be forced into it either.
Most of us can do pretty well all we want on existing pc's

That's the real world.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 07:55:34 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline adrianed

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2023, 10:33:07 PM »
Divemaster,
Similar to my thoughts, it can’t be good for Microsoft making a version that won’t work on many perfectly good computers
Windows 11 is free though if you have windows 10 running, it’s a mystery being as Microsoft was trying to get us all to use the same system then they put one out that many can’t use
Adrian
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 10:38:57 PM by adrianed »

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2023, 03:06:31 PM »
Stay with 10, it's mature and stable now. My workplace is holding off on 11 until support from 10 is up which is 2 years, I pray that M$ works out the kinks. The UI is frustrating to say the least, they are actually taking things away which is backwards thinking IMO. Some of the past windows updates in 11 actually bricked the OS into constant BSOD's.

What you could do is get a windows 10 machine and just defer updates to 11 and just make it an offline machine when 10 support is cut.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2023, 03:56:34 PM »
Hi mixermixer

And that's exactly what will happen. I have 5 pc's here all running quite happily on Windows 10. I also have one running Windows 2000 connected to a 31 year old Canon Bubblejet BJ-800 printer (I bought 2 of them brand new for £19.99 each on Ebay) previously $3000 each.... on a parallel port with enough cartridges to last me a lifetime! THAT one NEVER gets connected to my network. **** will freeze over first.. I run all sorts of older programmes on it, and they all work just fine away from the ever intrusive Microsoft Nanny State.

The Windows 10 units, 2xDell, 1x HP, and 2 others. My wife has a laptop that WILL upgrade to W11 but she has said that day will never come!

All machines will be removed from our network and run offline when Microsoft withdraw support in 2025'ish and we will live happily ever after. It won't bother us.

We can do security related stuff elsewhere. We have an Apple we can do that on.
It's a scenario that is being repeated worldwide. Dumb marketing never works.

BUT THE BIGGEST PLUS is this..........

That will save me enough to buy a new Genos 2 see! 😂 😂

Keith
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 04:07:35 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 04:18:38 PM »
So far I have only installed Windows 11 on a virtual machine (in VirtualBox on Windows 10) for test purposes.

On our work computers, we can safely skip Windows 11, I think. Currently one hears that Windows 12 should already be introduced in 2024 ... ;)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 06:33:48 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)