Author Topic: Bluetooth for Genos  (Read 1451 times)

Offline torben

Bluetooth for Genos
« on: March 28, 2023, 01:01:38 PM »
Hi

I do not know if this question has been asked before. If so I am sorry :'(

But I would like to know if any of you have had any experience on connecting a Genos and a PA by Bluetooth (no cables). Is it possible (which brand of connector) - are there any problems in delayed sound (I shall use it in live performances with a singer) - and which PA did you use?

Kind regards

Torben
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 01:03:23 PM by torben »
Tyros 5 was my choice - now it is only Genos1 !

Offline RONBO

Re: Bluetooth for Genos
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 03:43:44 PM »
Hello Torben,

I think others have asked about this very thing before.

The answer was a resounding NO, don't do it.

The latency is enough to drive you nuts, that is the slight time delay that occurs between when you play a note and when you hear it.

Not good.

Others here on the forum can go into more detail.

Regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 07:21:09 PM »

Hi --

I agree with Ron. Bluetooth audio introduces noticeable delay. Please go wired.

As to why, a short answer. Bluetooth audio is compressed. The sender compresses the audio data before transmitting it and the receiver decompresses the data before converting it to analog audio. Computation time is non-trivial and latency can be as high as 35msec. You'll start to "feel" the delay around 12-15msec.

Hope this explanation helps -- pj

https://www.presonus.com/learn/technical-articles/Digital-Audio-Latency-Explained

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 08:09:08 PM »
Hi Torben,

As already mentioned, a Bluetooth-based connection between the keyboard/mixer and active speakers is not recommended for live playing. Even with the latest BT versions (e.g. 5.3), the latency is usually over 30 ms.

There are special wireless AUDIO transmission systems for this purpose. However, professional systems of this type are usually quite expensive.

At its simplest, you can use a digital system meant for guitar/bass. (For a Stereo signal you will need two of them.) These have latencies of only 3 - 5 ms. However, these systems usually work in the frequency range of 2.4 or 5 GHz, which is also used for WiFi (Wireless LAN) and Bluetooth and is therefore relatively susceptible to interference. In addition, systems intended for instruments should be checked to see whether they are suitable for a line level input signal.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 08:12:10 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 10:04:54 PM »
All good advice. Even if the Bluetooth connection had zero latency, I'd still put my faith in hard wired connections. I honestly believe Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are very fickle. When they work, they're wonderful but I defy anyone to tell me they are as reliable as a wired connection.

I've seen bass and lead guitar players roaming about the stage with Bluetooth connections to amps, only to have their connections fail. Today's technology is wonderful under ideal conditions, sometimes! There are times you need to use good old 1960s high-tech solutions called "wires" 😬.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline torben

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 06:44:35 AM »
Thanks guys You have convinced me. I stick to cables … :'(

Torben
Tyros 5 was my choice - now it is only Genos1 !