Author Topic: My Genos has a new brother!  (Read 2229 times)

Offline musicman01

My Genos has a new brother!
« on: March 28, 2023, 07:19:16 AM »
Hello music friends, since this weekend the Korg Pa5x 76 arrived and joined my Genos.
After all the comments I ordered the Pa5x anyway, it took about 8 months for delivery.
I had already shared the first impression a while ago when I had the chance to play on it in the summer of last year.
And as I said the sounds are generally very good, very good drawbars, acoustic pianos, strings, brass, woodwinds, drums.
Not to forget, the fantastic exterior finish in very solid materials (no plastic) and the very good feeling Fatar semi-weighted keyboard!!
I already had a Pa4x 76 Musikant in the past where the sounds and styles were already very good, only the operating interface was difficult and messy.
Korg worked very hard on that, and especially looked at Genos.
I turned it on and just started playing for hours without interruption with no problems.
What I especially want to point out is if you look at the sometimes very negative comments,
is that Pa4x to Pa5x has delivered a story like from Tyros5 to Genos where even now many have not switched to Genos.
Let's hope that Yamaha will focus on good and solid exterior finishes, good pianos and drawbars for the successor to current Genos,
and pay less attention to things that are less important for a keyboard, and provide a good sound and style editor.
PS: I love my Genos just to be clear!!

Greetings Musicman.

Offline Bill

Re: My Genos has a new brother!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 07:44:35 AM »
Hello music friends

Korg worked very hard on that, and especially looked at Genos.

What I especially want to point out is if you look at the sometimes very negative comments,
is that Pa4x to Pa5x has delivered a story like from Tyros5 to Genos where even now many have not switched to Genos.

Greetings Musicman.

Hi

Very good point.  We sometime focus too much on the small negatives and never the greater positive.  Maybe we use it as an excuse.

I know my self as an example.
I’m a smoker and it both costs me a small fortune and is also bad for my health, however because I would only like to give up rather than say I’m GOING TO give up, I tell myself that smoking is good for my stress levels.

Oh, congratulations on your purchase and know you will enjoy Both KB’s.

Regards

Bill
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 07:46:07 AM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 09:04:48 AM »
Hey Musicman :

Congratulations with your new PA5X and your Genos ! :)
A dream came true for you, I guess. ;)
Apparently you are very familiar with the two different operation sytems since you already have owned a PA4X before.
Enjoy them both and ... have a lot of fun !

Best regards, JH
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 09:09:01 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 10:22:15 AM »
hi Musicman,
Congrats! Now that you own Genos and Pa5X, I'm hoping for more impressions and opinions from your side -many times little things are quite important  :)
I'm also interested on why you decided to add Pa5X.. is it you just needed 2nd keyboard, or Pa5X has something specific that you wished to have? Btw. I didn't know that 61/76 semi-weighted keys are also made by Fatar (I thought Fatar keys are only used in 88key version) -not that is matters for me, it's just good to know.

Wish you a lot of fun!
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 12:06:58 PM »
Hi Musicman, congratulations, wow that was a long wait. Enjoy.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline musicman01

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 07:56:51 AM »
Hello,

thanks to Bill, Jeff, Bogdan, and Rikki for the positive comments!
Whether it's Yamaha, Korg, Roland, Ketron etc, for us as musicians they are just keyboards that we mainly want to enjoy every day.
I read various forums about Genos and Korg Pa5x, and what strikes me most is that there are people who sometimes give very negative comments on an instrument that they don't even own!
There are people who like to tear down other brands and often give very toxic criticism, good advice to those people be careful with that!!!

Indeed there are still issues and bugs that korg is fixing now, it was just the same when Genos came out in November 2017 with v1xxx or have we forgotten?
I know that korg will be releasing another major update for the Pa5x models very soon and will add things that are still missing compared to Pa4x and will satisfy the owners.

As far as deliveries are concerned, Korg is unlucky with the Pa5x due to the deliveries of parts that have to be completely redeveloped, especially now after the corona period!!

Playing the Pa5x is a pleasure and a beautiful experience, what is especially striking is that it has been developed for live use, straight forward!
My Genos, Studiologic Numa Compact 2x, Korg Pa5x are connected to an Allen&Heath 12FX mixer, and what is striking is that the korg comes through very well in the mix.
How do I experience the Korg , for people who know Genos are very quickly familiar with the Pa5x.

Now all that remains is to let the Genos communicate with the Pa5x via midi.
I'll let you know how that goes.

For some inspiration for both Genos and Korg Pa4-5x check out Alois Muller's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/@AloisMueller

Kind regards
Luc
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 08:07:25 AM by musicman01 »

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 08:20:19 PM »
I read various forums about Genos and Korg Pa5x, and what strikes me most is that there are people who sometimes give very negative comments on an instrument that they don't even own!

Indeed there are still issues and bugs that korg is fixing now, it was just the same when Genos came out in November 2017 with v1xxx or have we forgotten?
I know that korg will be releasing another major update for the Pa5x models very soon and will add things that are still missing compared to Pa4x and will satisfy the owners.

While I would not want to diminish your personal experience with PA5X, so I will not go into all the details here (The Korg forum covers all that well) why for many PA5X owners the premature release of this keyboard is unlike anything that Korg has presented to date, and I am sure that Genos in its infancy did not create the backlash that has been seen from many well Seasoned and Respected Korg owners of PA5X since its release, which will almost be one year when the much anticipated update you refer to above arrives...

Looking at Korgs Road Map Statement then this anticipated update is only in part going to start satisfying previous PA4X owners who have moved, or who are thinking of moving to PA5X, so I would strongly recommend some serious time spent to explore and test PA5X before purchasing this keyboard...

If korg continues to drag out sorting all the issues and bugs (Korg has a history for this), then who knows, my Yamaha Montage might just get a replacement brother with the release of Genos 2...

I would be truly shocked if Yamaha screwed that up (GENOS 2) like Korg have with PA5X.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 09:22:06 PM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Offline musicman01

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 09:24:22 PM »
Dear Tommy,
an important question, do you own a Pa5x???

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 09:30:31 PM »
Dear Tommy,
an important question, do you own a Pa5x???
Yes, list with my other keys at the bottom of this page...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 09:32:39 PM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Offline musicman01

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 09:45:18 PM »
Tommy,
so no Genos.
Then you cannot know which bugs the first Genos had at the end of 2017.
The error codes Genos got at launch.
With the launch of V2.0, Genos has really improved.
People make mistakes at Yamaha too.
Like Genos, Korg has taken a different path with the Pa5x and that will take its time.

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 10:01:51 PM »
Tommy,
so no Genos.
Then you cannot know which bugs the first Genos had at the end of 2017.
The error codes Genos got at launch.
With the launch of V2.0, Genos has really improved.
People make mistakes at Yamaha too.
Like Genos, Korg has taken a different path with the Pa5x and that will take its time.
You make some assumptions about me and Genos with what I could or could not know (Genos is not with me now) so I will refer the readers back to my original statement in this thread.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 10:03:50 PM by Tommy 73 »

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2023, 11:59:01 AM »

Now all that remains is to let the Genos communicate with the Pa5x via midi.
I'll let you know how that goes.

Kind regards
Luc

Hi Luc, how are you hoping to set the PA5x and Genos up together?   Not details on how to do it, but your end goal?

I have my PA5x and sx900 connected, but it has limitations.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022