Author Topic: DGX-670 EQ Question  (Read 1569 times)

Offline CooperBeau

DGX-670 EQ Question
« on: March 27, 2023, 10:50:13 PM »
I have external speakers connected to my DGX-670. Whenever I press any key from A0 to A1, it sounds much louder and booming compared to the lower keys from A#1 to A2. The frequency of key A1 is 55 Hz. In order to reduce the loudness from A0 to A1, in the Master EQ settings, should I set the 1st frequency to 55Hz and then reduce the EQ1 decibels from 0 to a negative number? If not, how do I resolve this? TIA

https://www.youtube.com/@Piano-Love-Songs

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 10:52:25 PM by CooperBeau »

Re: DGX-670 EQ Question
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 06:09:53 AM »
Try flat. Set all the db levels to 0 I heard that’s the best setting for using speakers. That’s just my thought. It might vary depending on how you hear it. Best of luck 😎

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 08:30:21 AM »
CooperBeau. There are too many factors like DGX relationship to walls and furnishings and personal preference because we all hear sound differently.
Suggest you first set EQ with good quality headphones to your liking then with speakers on readjust these settings in small amounts to obtain your goal with the DGX placement.
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: CooperBeau

Offline Lefty

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 12:42:57 PM »
I have external speakers connected to my DGX-670. Whenever I press any key from A0 to A1, it sounds much louder and booming compared to the lower keys from A#1 to A2. The frequency of key A1 is 55 Hz. In order to reduce the loudness from A0 to A1, in the Master EQ settings, should I set the 1st frequency to 55Hz and then reduce the EQ1 decibels from 0 to a negative number? If not, how do I resolve this? TIA

You didn't mention what kind of external speakers you added to your DGX.  My advice is based on bookshelf speakers or studio monitors.

I suggest looking at speaker placement before EQing.  Speakers tend to sound bass heavy when placed too close to the wall behind them, and especially if placed in corners. A good start for speaker placement would be: place them on speaker stands at ear height; 12 - 18 inches from the wall; equidistant from the side walls.

Craig
Yamaha PSR-SX900, Studiologic Numa X 73, Lots of guitars and harmonicas

The following users thanked this post: CooperBeau

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 11:31:41 PM »
Hi --

The DGX-670 has two levels of EQ: per-part and master.

Per-part EQ is a so-called shelving EQ which rolls off (negative gain) or boosts (positive gain) low frequencies and high frequencies. If you're doing a mix or playing against styles/MIDI, I would recommend starting with per-part EQ first.

Master EQ has five frequency bands and is partly parametric (selective). However, Master EQ affects all of the components in the sound: keyboard parts, styles, MIDI parts, etc. It is a system-level effect.

Even though you can set one of Master EQ bands to 55Hz specifically (with a negative gain to attenuate at that frequency), Master EQ will affect style parts, too.

I noticed that Master EQ has a "Light" preset. Maybe try that? I play Genos and almost always use "Flat".

Just some thoughts -- pj

DGX-670 Reference Manual, page 71
The block diagram on page 74 might be helpful, too.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 11:33:55 PM by pjd »