Author Topic: File Storage Rules  (Read 800 times)

Offline Nova227

File Storage Rules
« on: March 26, 2023, 03:45:43 PM »

I loaded my very large collection of midi files onto the User storage area. Everything worked great.

But when i tryed to do a system back up using the onboard utiity it came back and said that there were to many files in a directory. I checked all of the 25 folders. None of them exceeded the 2500 file limit some where at 1800.

Any thoughts on file size and structure ?

Nova227

Offline EileenL

Re: File Storage Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 04:07:01 PM »
Don't forget the user drive is only 4Gb in size. You are probably trying to load to many styles into this space. Get yourself a 32Gb USB stick and keep all large files on that.

Offline Bill

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 04:16:16 PM »
The system backup feature of the keyboard is somewhat limited in what it can do.  I think it is telling that there are too many files Full Stop.

You are better off copying the files using the storage mode of the keyboard when it is connected via a USB Cable.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 04:45:35 PM »
Hi Nova227,

The manuals of Genos and SX models state that a maximum of 2500 files can be stored "per folder". However, I assume that this number applies to a folder including all its subfolders.

Basically, I recommend only copying the files to the User drive that you actually need/use, i.e. not entire collections with thousands / tens of thousands of files. Why don't you just work with USB sticks?

By the way, with the internal Backup function you will always have problems like this if you have a lot of files in User drive. In addition, the only thing you can do with a .bup Backup file is to restore the complete system settings it contains, including the content of the user drive, to your (or another) SX900 (however, the current content of the User drive will be overwritten!). As is well known, it is not possible to extract/copy individual files from a .bup file.

My recommendation: FORGET the internal Backup function! Simply back up the internal user-defined system settings regularly by saving the "System", "MIDI" and "User Effect" Setup Files to a USB stick (in "Menu > Utility > Factory Reset/Backup") . Then copy these files to the computer as well.

As long as you don't edit the files in the User drive, you don't need to backup them, since you still have the original files on the computer and/or USB sticks anyway. If you edit or create a file in the SX900's User drive, save/copy it to a USB stick as well (copy these edited files to the computer regularly as well), and everything is fine. :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 04:49:01 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)