Author Topic: Need song recorded on the Genos  (Read 6624 times)

Offline mikf

Re: Need song recorded on the Genos
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2023, 02:02:58 AM »
Take back what I said about the song, I misinterpreted ‘this song’, thought it referred to the song from the church in the earlier post.
The karaoke tape is of course of a song in 4/4 and I thought PJs power ballad would work just fine. But there really is a million ways to effectively accompany this song. I would want to hear the melody line and the vocalists style and phrasing before deciding.
Would I try to reproduce the karaoke track - certainly not. If they want that then just play the karaoke. That’s the point of being a musician, you do it your way.
Mike

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2023, 08:55:48 AM »
Would I try to reproduce the karaoke track - certainly not. If they want that then just play the karaoke. That’s the point of being a musician, you do it your way.
Mike

-a quote of the year!

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline pjd

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2023, 07:06:11 PM »
Hi Greg --

Yep, that is me playing Genos. I had one or two passes with a melody in the right hand, a little too much. The clean(est) pass has just an improvised thing around the melody.

Well, maybe the "Fast Eddy" reference is kind of obscure.  :D I pretty much said "What can I do in 15 minutes?" I listened to the original track only to get a feel for the style and it reminded me of PowerBallad. Then 1. grab lead sheet, 2. hit record, 3. get a clean pass, and 4. convert to MP3 and upload to my site.

As to why no drum fills, I hadn't played this tune for 5+ years and spent a lot of time thinking, "Do a verse now?" I guess if I knew where I has going (!), I could have hit A, B, C, or D and added a drum fill here or there.  :)

I agree with Mike. I've heard this tune interpreted many different ways. I'd call the video "Christian contemporary rock" and that might not be the appropriate label.

All the best -- pj
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 07:08:38 PM by pjd »

Offline myzone1958

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2023, 05:41:47 PM »

In Response to the Genos being used in Church. Well I have decided to return to my church so I will not be making a movie to another . The pastor had a talk with me saying the the music director felt that having an arrange with all kinds of drums and so forth would not fit into the congregation we have . Must of the church members are elderly people so I think they want to keep the music toned down. The music director has drums on the keyboard he has but does not use the. He said that he has used instrumental backings in the past but felt it just does not fit into this congregation. So I have mixed feelings about this and weather or not the older people would love to hear the sound of an arranger for Church Worship. So this is how the Music director feels and they are more less letting it up to him as how he wants to run the praise and worship music. In the future I will not voice my opinions on how they are running the church cause I have learned that I could be setting my self up for rejections and disappointment so why put my self through that. It is what it is and I more less will just be there to hear the sermons and go home. The thing I do not understand his these arrangers are loved by Senor citizens centers but perhaps in a church environment it may not be good I don't know.

[

Offline myzone1958

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2023, 06:08:49 PM »

Well I decided to go back to my church and the pastor went over a few things with me saying that the music director felt the arranger would not fit in to the church group which I think manly he is due that they are an older crowd of people. Pastor said he does have drums on his keyboard but feels they should not be used in this audience . The director said that he has used drums and things on a keyboard in the past but felt it just does not fit in with this crowd. So I think he just wants to play basic keyboard arrangements and not be over powering. I will just have to get past the music part there and go for the sermons and the fellowship with the people. Perhaps if the a population of young people would start attending there perhaps the director would change his mind but for the foreseeable future but I really don't see Young people coming back since the pandemic. In senior centers I think arrangers would be excepted but for Church services I think its a different audience . But then on the other hand the do hire gospel quartets with up beat music and they do love that . So I have mixed feelings as to what they are thinking but what ever the case I will have to just over look this and let them do what they want. One thing I have learned from all of this is I will never voice my opinion ever again and stay out of the politics end of it. The pastor who is no 89 years old is having troubles with his eye sight and has stepped down from preaching cause he can not see to read and so they now replaced him  with a younger pastor . So I don't know if the younger pastor will remain ,I hope he does .I really thought he did a fantastic Job on his Sermon today . I will send a link here of the new Pastor and the music   https://www.youtube.com/live/L_gfydH7nJs?feature=share
[

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2023, 08:35:31 PM »
This is typical church music, the same music they have lived with for centuries. A piano player, who also plays the lead so the congregation can follow. My daughter goes to Mountain Christian Church, where they have a 5 piece band, including a drummer, bass guitar player, lead guitar player, rhythm guitar player and a lead singer/vocalist, who also plays an arranger keyboard, though usually just as a single instrument, piano, violin, sax, etc... They have a massive congregation, probably about 600 at each service, and when the services end, there are a half-dozen sheriffs deputies directing traffic at both entrances. 

Greg, I would not loose any sleep over this one - they're gonna do what they
re gonna do!

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline myzone1958

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2023, 03:10:02 AM »
    Gary I laughed when you said a half a dozen sheriffs directing traffic at the church  Ha ha !!!  That sounds like the church got a nice size band going on. I know music should not be the main reason for going to church but I do believe music draws crowds and that was my motive was to draw people in to the church because they lost half the church members since covid. Pastor said today the music director wants to keep it simple and that the arranger if not fit for this kind of crowd . I think now He's looking at this church as the older crowd Seniors being there. But yet if you think about it I been to these senior centers and I have seen Elvis impersonators and it appears to me they enjoy the entertainment but I guess it thinks because it's a church it should be low key but from my research it appears to me these large bands are drawing the people in . Even down the street from me after the pandemic I see the church parking lot fill to compacity and the band they have sounds good cause I watched them on line. Someone told me they pull in $20,000 a week !  Unbelievable ! Only reason I don't go there is because some of their beliefs are not how I see it so I drive pass there and the next street up and turn right and down aways is the one I go to. My Church is small but I do like the seniors there. Maybe I tend to lean tord the small church because it feels more like family. Some of those bigger church's you can feel kind of lost in the. The one I go to now use to have 140 people but now down to 70 some.  I thought an arranger keyboard would have been ideal there but I gave up trying so I will just have to live with what they got there as far as the music goes. The pastor there now is 89 years old and has temporary stepped down cause he now has and eye disease and can not read at the pulpit any longer so Tom Baily stepped up to the plate . He is a little younger then me and I thought he did a great Job preaching. He is also a match teacher at a school. His public  speaking is excellent . Here is the link for today .                                                                                                                                         
            You can here the music director playing ----->   https://www.youtube.com/live/L_gfydH7nJs?feature=share   
[

Offline pjd

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2023, 06:41:45 PM »

Since we're sharing links, our live stream services are posted at:

https://easbothell.org/live

Our group does the 9AM mass. Last week we had piano, guitar, me, occasional viola and flute. Drummer and trumpet players were off, so I got to channel mariachi on the entrance hymn.  :D

Sorry that the videos are streamed from Facebook. Makes it difficult to skip through the video...

All the best -- pj

keynote

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2023, 07:45:48 PM »
The link that PJD posted does not go to the live stream service on Facebook but rather to the church website. I looked around the site to try to find that particular service i.e., Sunday @ 9:00am but the only live stream media was older, archived videos from 2021. But I was able to get a view of the inside of the church, and it is really beautiful. And big! I imagine the sound from the worship team would really resonate and reverberate making it a piece of cake to project the music and vocals audibly with adequate volume and clarity to all those in attendance.

I wanted to post this link to another song I recently made using my Genos, Sonar Platinum, and Audacity. Everything you hear musically is Genos. Voices include Grand Piano, Mellow Finger Bass, Strings (Legacy), Warm Pad, and the Revo Vintage Open Drum Kit. I also added another clapping track from the Genos Multi-pads and also an audience cheers and applause audio track. Vocals provided by Hillsong Australia. I wanted to give the vibe of a real live concert/church performance. PS: Amazing what the Genos is capable of 5+ years on. 🎹   

God is Great

All the best, Mike 

Offline pjd

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2023, 07:17:32 PM »
The link that PJD posted does not go to the live stream service on Facebook but rather to the church website. I looked around the site to try to find that particular service i.e., Sunday @ 9:00am but the only live stream media was older, archived videos from 2021. But I was able to get a view of the inside of the church, and it is really beautiful. And big! I imagine the sound from the worship team would really resonate and reverberate making it a piece of cake to project the music and vocals audibly with adequate volume and clarity to all those in attendance.

All the best, Mike

Hi Mike --

Thanks for visiting the site and your kind words!

I'm not a big fan of Facebook and not a big fan of streaming our videos from Facebook. Not my call, as that decision is up to our audio/video team.

If you want to try again, the link should lead to a page with a scrollable list of announcements on the left hand side of the page. The videos are sprinkled through the scrollable list of messages. [The videos have a gold-ish background color.] I click on the play symbols (circular button) and don't go to the church's Facebook page. (Needless to say, I don't have a Facebook account and regard Facebook (and Twitter) as the spawn of Satan.  :) )  A miniature embedded video should then play.

My last parish streamed from Youtube and I much preferred that solution.

My apologies to all -- pj

Maybe try this direct link: https://www.facebook.com/easbothell/videos/630904598883961/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 07:34:32 PM by pjd »

Offline pjd

« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2023, 07:28:14 PM »
I wanted to post this link to another song I recently made using my Genos, Sonar Platinum, and Audacity. Everything you hear musically is Genos. Voices include Grand Piano, Mellow Finger Bass, Strings (Legacy), Warm Pad, and the Revo Vintage Open Drum Kit. I also added another clapping track from the Genos Multi-pads and also an audience cheers and applause audio track. Vocals provided by Hillsong Australia. I wanted to give the vibe of a real live concert/church performance. PS: Amazing what the Genos is capable of 5+ years on. 🎹   

God is Great

All the best, Mike

Hi Mike --

You totally sold me with the live feel! Reminded me of "Again I Say Rejoice" by Israel Houghton and New Breed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXWOSIYgd4

Beautiful work -- pj

Offline myzone1958

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2023, 10:45:31 PM »

Pj very nice choir there they sound excellent .
[

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline myzone1958

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2023, 10:51:13 PM »
 Mike I would like to see a  video of the Genos in action in a live setting playing gospel music.  You Tube is limited on this.
[

keynote

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2023, 05:15:29 PM »
Hi Mike --

Thanks for visiting the site and your kind words!

My last parish streamed from Youtube and I much preferred that solution.

My apologies to all -- pj

Maybe try this direct link: https://www.facebook.com/easbothell/videos/630904598883961/

Thanks for the direct link, Paul. Very nice choir and music. I couldn't make out the model of keyboard you were playing other than it was a Yamaha arranger. It's also nice you have a real Grand Piano in the house as well. Looks like the service was recorded in 4K or at least 1920×1080p. Thanks for sharing.

All the best, Mike

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline pjd

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2023, 06:32:49 PM »
Pj very nice choir there they sound excellent.

Very nice choir and music.

Thanks for the kind words, gents. I'll pass your compliments along tomorrow.  :)

Mike, that's an MODX6. It's difficult to cram anything else onto the choir riser. I've got sound-alike voices on Genos; the MODX and Genos share a lot of the basic sonic DNA.

Take care -- pj