Author Topic: Free play for e473  (Read 2257 times)

Offline JDavid

Free play for e473
« on: March 25, 2023, 05:43:37 PM »
Is it possible to load free play rubato styles onto the e473 ?
I have an s970 at the moment but it’s too complicated for my old brain and working out how to do things is just too time consuming.  I will miss naming files and rubato styles unless I can load some styles I will regret losing.

Offline pjd

Re: Free play for e473
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 06:16:40 PM »
Hi --

In theory, an E473 should be able to play a Free Play style. Several years ago, I took a look inside Free Play styles:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/freeplay-style-deconstructed/

In short, the MAIN sections simply hold a chord for 8, 16, 32 measures. The styles don't have anything (or much) in the style rhythm parts.

Free Plays styles from the S-, SX- or Genos/Tyros are in SFF GE (Guitar Edition) format. SFF GE is often called "SFF2" because the first MIDI marker in the file is "SFF2". The E473 is SFF1. So, you need to convert the SFF2 style to SFF1.

Jørgen Sørensen has a program to convert SFF2 to SFF1. He also has a ton of other useful programs on his site:

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/software.htm

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline JDavid

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 06:46:43 PM »
Thanks pjd
The link to conversion software takes me into complicated territory again.  If I finally decide to trade down I’ll probably just see if loading free play styles just works.  I managed to load styles onto the s970 ok.
I’ve almost convinced myself that trading down to the e473 is the way to go.

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 11:19:11 PM »
I've had Freeplay styles working on the E4xx series for years. Ever since Yamaha said to me that only they could make them. Didn't take me long, though I didn't do it alone. A colleague from Canada, whose name I've forgotten (sorry!!), and I had one up and running within a fortnight. The files for my 'AGfreestyle' styles are on my website - www.andrew-gilbert.com. However at some point the version for the E series was corrupted. Not sure if the one on the website works or if it will need a tweak, as my E443 is upstairs in the loft at the moment.

Mine is a 'lighter' style than Yamaha's original 'Ethereal Movie', which could be 'heavy' and occasionally glitch when changing chords or style variations.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline JDavid

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 12:03:06 AM »
Thanks Andyg
The s970 will play midi, audio and style files from the usb stick without uploading them.  Im wondering what will happen if I just plug that usb stick into an e473 - will it be able to play the files in the same way ?

Offline JDavid

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 12:13:20 AM »
PS
Will I still be able to use my wireless LAN connection to MusicSoft ?

Offline JDavid

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 05:27:38 PM »
I bought the e473 yesterday and although there’s a lot it won’t do compared with the s970, it’s a lot simpler in many ways.  I tried plugging in my wireless LAN adapter and the e473 doesn’t show up in the MusicSoft app.  Never mind I’ll have to use a cable.

I plugged my 970 pen drive in and could play audio files and the MIDI files were pretty terrible versions of the 970 sounds.  I couldn’t seem to see any of the piano or free play styles I had on the stick.  Perhaps I will be able to use them when I make a cable connection with my iPad. 

Offline JDavid

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 06:44:47 PM »
Connected host to usb - tried MacBook ipad and iPhone but instrument not seen by any of them

Offline JDavid

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 05:35:37 PM »
Choose style and edit by switching off rhythm track and replacing a voice with choir voice.  Switch off sync start and it seems to be that leaves something like the 970 rubato free play.  Not as good but OK for my purpose.

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 08:19:13 PM »
Hi David,

Please note that the E473 can only see/load Styles with the file extension .STY. In addition, as mentioned, the Style files must be in SFF1 format and smaller than 50 KB. For example, if you convert SFF2 FreePlay styles to SFF1 on the computer, you need to change the extension from .FPS to .STY and also make sure they don't exceed the mentioned size.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)