Author Topic: .MID files not recognized on SX900  (Read 849 times)

Offline orangeman

.MID files not recognized on SX900
« on: March 23, 2023, 03:04:06 AM »
I received some .MID files from a music transcribing service that I use for creating sheet music.

When I try to access them from my memory stick, the SX900 doesn’t even show them as an option to select. I don’t know what to think, since I didn’t create the file. Maybe there is some specific modification I need for the SX900 to recognize these files.

I realize this is little vague, hoping for any thoughts as to next steps so I have a better understanding of what I need to do next.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Joe H

Re: .MID files not recognized on SX900
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 05:48:19 AM »
Use the MIDI Player button to select the MIDI files.  They should show up then as long as they are not zipped up.

Our keyboards use what is referred to as "masking".  You must use the style selector button to select styles, the Multi Pad Select button to select Multi Pads, the registration button to select registrations, etc.  The purpose of this is to prevent trying to load a Multi Pad as a style, etc.

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 05:49:36 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: orangeman

Offline Bill

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 10:01:14 AM »
In addition to what Joe H has said. Check on PC that the extension of the files are still “MID”
And that the transcription service hasn’t changed them to XML or some other ext.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 10:37:25 AM »
I received some .MID files from a music transcribing service that I use for creating sheet music.

When I try to access them from my memory stick, the SX900 doesn’t even show them as an option to select. I don’t know what to think, since I didn’t create the file. Maybe there is some specific modification I need for the SX900 to recognize these files.

I realize this is little vague, hoping for any thoughts as to next steps so I have a better understanding of what I need to do next.

Thanks in advance.

Hi orangeman,

The file names may be too long: On the SX900, a file name can contain up to 46 characters plus 4 characters for the file extension (e.g. ". mid"), i.e. a maximum of 50 characters in total.

Files with longer names are not displayed on the keyboard. So try to shorten the file names on the computer. The extension .mid must of course be retained. Then the MIDI files should appear in the SX900's SONG SELECTION display and be playable in the Song Player.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline orangeman

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 03:40:39 AM »
Thank you so much to all that replied, I really appreciate it.  Joe H identified the issue (thanks Joe!).  I was trying to access the files from the wrong menu.  I was going in through the user expansion under styles.  As soon as I entered though the MIDI player all was well.  I think I was in the MIDI player previously but I don't think I went far enough.

Once again, thanks to all for helping!