Author Topic: Registration Saving to USB .. is style copied ?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Nova227

Registration Saving to USB .. is style copied ?
« on: March 22, 2023, 11:51:10 AM »
Best practises suggestions on the form is ………to save your registrations to USB stick.

My questions is if I create a song using a factory style and save the registration to USB does it copy the style to the USB  or just create a link back to the factory style ?  ( I am using sx 900 )

Offline Graham UK

Re: Registration Saving to USB .. is style copied ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 12:19:15 PM »
Yes Style saved as RGT will link it to the style used.
Problems arise if the style is moved, in your case being a factory style it won't move.
My way is to make 3 folders STY  RGT  VCE on USB.
When I have a style I want to make a RGT,  I first copy to the STY folder and make RGT from there. If a future hiccup I know where to find the style.
DGX670

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 01:30:40 PM »
Nova, Graham,

I do the same thing in the User section. I like having a backup on USB but I try not to rely on USB as a rule.

Rick D.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 01:34:02 PM »
Save as a Link. Dose not save whole style.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 02:11:44 PM »
Best practises suggestions on the form is ………to save your registrations to USB stick.

My questions is if I create a song using a factory style and save the registration to USB does it copy the style to the USB  or just create a link back to the factory style ? ( I am using sx 900 )

Hi Nova227,

When saving a Registration Bank, the style is never copied, but the Registration Bank file always contains a LINK to the style used. This applies to both Preset/Factory styles and User styles.

It should be noted that the absolute file path is used for links to external files (e.g. User styles) in registrations. Therefore, the linked files or the folders used may not be renamed or moved afterwards. (On the other hand, the Registration Bank files can be freely renamed or moved.)

In this context it should be noted that the user drive has a different drive letter (C:/) than the USB stick (I:/). In addition, the system uses additional, invisible main folders in the User drive, which are not copied when copying to a USB stick. Styles are always automatically stored in the "C:/STYLE/" folder in the User drive. If you simply copy styles and Registration Bank files from the User drive to a USB stick, the registrations will still access the styles in the User drive. So that the styles from the USB stick are actually used, the file paths in the registrations would have to be changed/adapted, e.g.:

C:/STYLE/Foldername/Stylename.sty     >>>     I:/Foldername/Stylename.sty

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 02:14:05 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, maarkr

Offline johan

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 03:35:56 PM »
I do it the same way as Graham: I always copy the style to the internal user section of the keyboard before using it in a registration. This way all my registrations always work whatever memory stick is inserted (or even without any stick). And I can at any time reorganise the structure of my memory stick or remane style files without any impact on my registrations.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 05:24:01 PM »

I would not say this is best practice, but if it works for you, fine.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 06:35:25 PM »
Hi Fred,

What do you suggest?

Rick D.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 08:34:48 PM »
What do you suggest?

I would put everything on the User drive, as there is lots of room and all the files are small. Files are easily accessible, and load quickly.

I would use a USB only for large files like audio songs.

I would back up User memory regularly (for me, that's every six months, but your mileage may vary).

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: adrianed, Rick D.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 10:39:27 AM »
I would put everything on the User drive, as there is lots of room and all the files are small. Files are easily accessible, and load quickly.

I would use a USB only for large files like audio songs.

I would back up User memory regularly (for me, that's every six months, but your mileage may vary).

Cheers,
Fred

Hi Fred,

That is exactly what I do. I did use the USB sticks on my first Tyros, but found I never had the right stick in for the song I wanted. It was then that I began using the USER section. It's much faster and backing up is important. I also put a copy on my PC so if the USB fails, and they do, I still have everything.

Rick D.

Offline Nova227

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 01:12:30 PM »
Thanks very much for sharing the benifit of your experiences.

I will take the advise  of using the Users section on the keyboard for everthing except my mp3 and other large files. Then i will back up the board  files regularly.

Nova227

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 10:03:52 PM »
I save *everything* to the USB. Registrations, styles, etc. But I'm in an unusual situation: I have to demo many different models (at different stores, no less!). When I used built in styles, often a newer keyboard no longer contained even a version of the same style. I used to put things in user, but again, I have then figure out which styles I need to copy into user for a particular registration (my PotC video? I use 4 different styles throughout, 2 of which I wrote and 2 are internal... which I read off USB in case the style is ever omitted in future keyboards)

Like I said, I'm in an unusual position: how many people need to demo the same demo on dozens of different models? Including future ones?

And yes, I make backups. I lost my USB stick for a few days once (it ended up being underneath one of our warehouse shelves, coworker found it) and hadn't backed up for a few months, and I was in an absolute panic. If I'd *never* backed it up, I would've fainted.

Mark

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2023, 05:21:47 AM »
When you back things up, make sure you have a copy of the backup in a different building. Because, what if the building you have your backups in burns down?

Or maybe use some version of “the cloud” as part of your backup strategy. I personally use Microsoft OneDrive because it integrates very well with my Windows PCs.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22