Author Topic: Noise of buttons  (Read 3302 times)

Offline pmahl

Noise of buttons
« on: March 22, 2023, 10:26:10 AM »

Hi
I've only owned my Genos for 2 weeks and I'm thrilled. But there is one thing that I feel is a real step backwards compared to the Tyros 5. It is the crackling noise of the control buttons of the style variations, registrations, memory button, multi pads etc..
When I imagine a keyboard player operating these buttons during a performance - terrible. What was Yamaha thinking? Since I have never read a complaint about this here, my hope is that someone knows of a way to turn this ugly noise off.
Peter

Peterm

Offline Toril S

Re: Noise of buttons
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 10:47:48 AM »
I have both the Tyros 5 and the Genos. There is no crackling noise on my Genos buttons, so this must be a fault with your Genos. Contact the dealer. Hope you get it sorted out😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 11:17:55 AM »
That would worry me enough to go straight back to the dealer. I wonder if you've been sold a Demo unit?
Is it a brand new Genos, or a used one?
Yamaha will know the original date it was first registered to a new owner.... Might be worth checking that out.

With a keyboard costing what a Genos costs, it certainly isn't normal.

Keith
Korg  PA5X
I also play a Yamaha PSR-SX700
I also own a Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Bill

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 11:30:27 AM »
Hi Peter

I’m not next to my Genos, but one thing you may try. In the Utilities Section go to touch screen and turn OFF the Sound feature. I seem to remember that you can setup thing to give you audible feedback when touching buttons etc.  it’s on the same screen where you adjust the brightness of the LED’s.

Because you are talking about many buttons I would not have thought it is a hardware problem.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:48:59 AM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 11:43:05 AM »
Hi Peter,

do you mean the slight 'click' when you press the buttons manually? Mine do that but it is a very soft click and I don't hear it if I press those buttons whilst playing. I've seen many Genos players at concerts, dances and keyboard festivals but you certainly don't hear the buttons being pressed.
If you set one of your foot switches to operate those buttons there is no click when they change.
But I think a crackling noise needs investigating.
Pam

Offline pmahl

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 01:48:41 PM »
Hi

In the meantime, I was also in contact with Yamaha support and received the following response: The noise when pressing the buttons is generated mechanically and cannot be turned off.
However, many users perceive this as a positive feature, since it also provides acoustic feedback and you can be sure that you have pressed the button even without looking.

Concerning your proposals:
In the utility overview, only the noise when the touch screen is pressed can be disabled.
I will try out the hint about the operation via foot switch.

Probably I am too sensitive in this respect and I hope that I will get used to the noise.
Thanks again for the support.
Peter
Peterm

Online Rick D.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 06:38:04 PM »
Peter,

Do what I do wear noise cancelling headphones!  ;D

Mine makes no noise when I take the headphones off.

Rick D.

Offline pmahl

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 09:03:35 AM »
Hi Rick
You mean, I should sell the Monitors😍😍😍😍😍
Peter
Peterm

Online Rick D.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 10:33:47 AM »
LOL Peter!

Not sure why your buttons are making noise, I would bring it back to where you bought it or find another Genos nearby and see if it is the same. Mine literally is silent when a button is pushed. Maybe the newer ones have a different button. I bought mine the year after it was released.

Hope you get it resolved.

Rick D.

Offline pmahl

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 02:16:50 PM »
It's a used one from 2018. So I will be patient to get used to it (see the response from Yamaha).
Thank's a lot.
Peter
Peterm

Online Rick D.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 03:57:52 PM »
Peter,

Just enjoy the Genos it is a fantastic instrument.

A lot of people experience buyers remorse when they make big expenditures, it makes no sense. If you bought it used be thankful you didn't shell out $5000 USD for it! 

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Rick D.