Author Topic: SX900 Mixer-Can it be controlled with MIDI controller?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline nbrudnicki

SX900 Mixer-Can it be controlled with MIDI controller?
« on: March 21, 2023, 01:52:11 PM »
Hi. I’m wondering if the mixer on the SX900 can be controlled with an external MIDI controller like the Korg nanoKONTROL Studio MIDI Control Surface or something similar..rather than opening up the mixer and manipulating the touch screen? Thank you.

Offline DerekA

Re: SX900 Mixer-Can it be controlled with MIDI controller?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 02:30:04 PM »
Yes, all the key controls on the mixer have equivalent MIDI CC messages so you can program the nanoKONTROL to send those messages.

I used to do this on my T5. The Tyros didn't accept USB MIDI so I needed a separate MIDI hub; not sure if the SX accepts USB MIDI or not.
Genos

Offline nbrudnicki

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 04:53:12 PM »
Thank you very much. Sounds promising. So just to clarify, by assigning specific MIDI commands to the sliders and knobs, I could control the mixer functions of the SX900 using the nanoKontrol? For example, adjusting the volume levels of style parts or turning certain style parts on/off? Could this be done with any particular midi controller that has knobs and sliders (like a Novation Launchkey)? Thanks again! I appreciate all your help.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 07:18:45 PM »
Hi. I’m wondering if the mixer on the SX900 can be controlled with an external MIDI controller like the Korg nanoKONTROL Studio MIDI Control Surface or something similar..rather than opening up the mixer and manipulating the touch screen? Thank you.

Hi nbrudnicki,

Unfortunately, Yamaha arranger keyboards (e.g. PSR-S/SX, Tyros1-5, Genos) do not support the direct connection of USB-MIDI controller devices. So you would have to interpose an external so-called "USB MIDI HOST" device, e.g.
>>> https://www.thomann.de/gb/miditech_usb_midi_host.htm?shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9&reload=1

The DIN MIDI OUT of the USB MIDI HOST is connected to the DIN MIDI IN of the SX900. You can control a maximum of 16 different channels over this MIDI cable. In order to control the internal SONG channels (e.g. to control their volume), you must use a MIDI template on the SX900 (or create it yourself), in which under "Receive" the channels "Port1 Ch1" to "Port1 Ch16" are set to the Part "Song". This is the case, for example, with the preset MIDI templates "All Parts" and "KBD & STYLE".

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:22:00 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline nbrudnicki

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 07:53:27 PM »
Oh I see, thank you very much Chris. Really appreciate it. So then the nanoKontrol or any other midi controller would connect to the USB MIDI device thru the USB connection and then the USB MIDI device would connect to the SX900 thru the DIN midi IN. Thanks for the link as well, I’ve never heard of this device…I’ll definitely look further into getting one!

Thanks,
Nicholas

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 08:46:27 PM »
Yes that's exactly the kind of thing I had to use. Once you've told the keyboard which midi channels to listen on, you assign each physical control a cc number and transmit channel on the controller.
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 08:48:26 PM »
Oh I see, thank you very much Chris. Really appreciate it. So then the nanoKontrol or any other midi controller would connect to the USB MIDI device thru the USB connection and then the USB MIDI device would connect to the SX900 thru the DIN midi IN. Thanks for the link as well, I’ve never heard of this device…I’ll definitely look further into getting one!

Thanks,
Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for your feedback!

You could alternatively use an iPad (e.g. with the >>> "MIDI Designer" app). For the MIDI connection of the iPad with the SX900 you use a USB type AB cable (connected to the SX900's USB-to-HOST terminal) in connection with an Apple Camera Adapter suitable for the iPad (e.g. for Lightning iPads the "Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter, which allows the iPad to be charged at the same time).

Alternatively, you can use a Bluetooth LE MIDI adapter (e.g. the >>> "CME WIDI Master"). It should be noted that only MIDI Port 1 (Receive & Transmit) of the SX900 can be used with the iPad, while with a computer (PC/Mac) BOTH Receive Ports can be used (but also only Transmit Port 1).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 08:56:17 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline nbrudnicki

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 09:16:36 PM »
Thank you so much Derek and Chris!! Ohhhh I have an iPad, so maybe that will work for me!! I see on the App Store the MIDI Designer Pro 2…would the limitations of the iPad still allow me to control the mixer? That’s all I really want to do is to control the volume and on/off of each part of the chosen style. At least there’s lots of options!!

Thanks,
Nicholas

Online ckobu

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 08:19:48 AM »
Hi Nicholas
As Chris said, I also recommend the MIDI Designerr app. Watch this video. Activate English subtitles.
https://youtu.be/vuf0vhejjKE
Watch my video channel

Offline nbrudnicki

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 02:21:48 PM »
Thank you ckobu. Appreciate it.

Nicholas

The following users thanked this post: TheBitfiddler

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 06:21:26 PM »
MIDI Designer is a super useful program. A bit of MIDI knowledge is needed before diving in, but it's a great tool.

I built an editor for the Sonogenic SH-500 (an XG architecture instrument) using MIDI Designer:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/sonogenic-voice-editor/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/customizing-the-sonogenic-voice-editor/

Good luck! -- pj

Offline nbrudnicki

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2023, 06:23:43 PM »
Very very cool. I’m going to look into this! Thank you!

Nicholas