Author Topic: Free GNS-MS01 Speakers with new Genos  (Read 2152 times)

Offline mcbrown

Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

Re: Free GNS-MS01 Speakers with new Genos
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 02:00:22 PM »
Thank, Murray. That's more evidence that Genos 2 is on its way out the door.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 04:56:57 PM »
I reccomend the speakers.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 11:21:57 PM »
What!!! Speakers that sound like a transistor radio with stupid little battery wires.
No wonder they are free ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.
Not to mention that o'rrible boom box. :P ::) ;D
It is like comparing running a Rolls Royce with a mini engine. Painful!!! :-[
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 11:24:23 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 12:39:25 AM »
The Genos speakers are perfectly adequate for the kind of music many people play. We don’t all play heavy metal at sonic boom level.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 12:34:43 PM »
I have to agree Mike. The Genos speakers work very well and I have been quite happy with mine. Not everyone wants to spend a £1000 on speakers unless gigging to large audiences.

The following users thanked this post: Whitecolin11

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 01:06:02 PM »
Regarding speakers, it comes down Sound quality you are willing to accept. Quality has nothing to do with volume (Loudness).

OK, you don't like headphones but to prove a point. If you want to know the quality, the Genos (or any Keyboard) is capable of plug-in a good pair of monitor headphones.

I have been privileged in my working life to be able to listen and understand sound differences.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 03:23:50 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 01:40:24 PM »
I use the GNS-MS01 speakers with my Genos and they sound fine to me, never had an issue with any of the speaker systems from the T3 onwards.

That being said, I prefer the design of Korg's soundbar version, its more compact and I can still fit the Korg on the lower tier of my keyboard stand wheres with the Yamaha's I always had the problem of the monitor speakers getting in the way.

Maybe they'll do a soundbar design for Genos 2!???
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 01:46:30 PM by Danny1972 »

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 02:54:27 PM »
I have the HS8s and they do sound great, however....
The general consensus is you don't need a subwoofer with 8 inch speakers.
I'm not so sure, there seems a general lack of bass to me. Certainly when compared to music and sound from my tv surround system. I will probably get a subwoofer at some point to improve the sound a bit.

I have Beyerdynamic DT Pro 770 headphones - everyone raves about them, yet my bluetooth Marshall Major IV sound far better in my experience: clearer and more bass: more exciting and clearer vocals with regular music. Obviously I can't use bluetooth headphones during music making and I tend to only use the Marshalls for listening afterwards (even though there is a cable connection). It is at THAT point in my music making process I enjoy what I've recorded the absolute best: listening through the Marshalls. So the expensive Yamaha speakers or supposed high quality headphones are not even the best audio experience for me.
If the Marshalls would break, it would be the first thing I would replace. I can't say the same thing about the Yamaha speakers or Beyerdynamic headphones.

Point I'm making is whatever you read or hear or what is supposed to be objectively the best or better, is not necessarily how you are going to perceive sound yourself at all.

The Genos speakers seem very convenient. If Yamaha throws them in when you buy the keyboard, why say no?  ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 03:01:58 PM by AndrewKeyz »
Without Music, Life would be a Mistake.

Check out my Genos recordings & performances: http://www.youtube.com/andrewkeyz

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 03:31:47 PM »
I'm not so sure, there seems a general lack of bass to me. Certainly when compared to music and sound from my tv surround system. I will probably get a subwoofer at some point to improve the sound a bit. ...

Hi Andrew,

I recommend to use the Yamaha HS8S Active Studio Subwoofer in connection with your HS8 Studio Monitors. You will certainly not be disappointed. :)

I use the HS8S sub with a pair of Yamaha MSP5 Studio Active Monitors (that, as far as I know, are unfortunately discontinued).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: AndrewKeyz

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 03:45:19 PM »
My opinion on the Genos speakers:

The GNS-MS01 speaker system is better than its reputation. Its sound is completely sufficient for many home users (who "just want to play").

However, if you want to create professional Recordings that also sound as good as possible on other speakers, it is advisable to use good studio monitor speakers and good studio headphones.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 07:58:25 PM »
If you consider the price originally of the Genos speaker system it would be fair to say that you would get a better deal with a good pair of monitors.
To me the Genos System is sub-standard, but it all comes down to what is your poison
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 08:21:33 PM »
John is all for good sound😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 08:48:25 PM »
Hi Toril

I have just upgraded to a Marantz PM7000N amplifier and a top Marantz CD player to go with Mission floorstanders. That is the sound that i am used to. My missions sound is as good as Bower & Wilkins floorstanders
i like sound to be clear, defined bass with a warm soundstage, sort of modern analogue feel rather than screechy digital.
That is me being over picky.
If i went any further into sound it would be getting into ridiculous amounts of money.
I see that amps and speakers can go into the £50,000 region and much higher.
You would probably need a football stadium for that.
Only if i could afford a £50,000,000,000 Cruiser boat then i would consider getting the best system in the world. ;D :P

All the Best
John    ;)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 09:19:27 PM »
You definitely deserve that Cruiser after all the work with good sound!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2023, 10:46:44 PM »
I'm not so sure, there seems a general lack of bass to me. Certainly when compared to music and sound from my tv surround system. I will probably get a subwoofer at some point to improve the sound a bit.

*snip*
Point I'm making is whatever you read or hear or what is supposed to be objectively the best or better, is not necessarily how you are going to perceive sound yourself at all.

The Genos speakers seem very convenient. If Yamaha throws them in when you buy the keyboard, why say no?  ;)

Once again Andrew, we're on the same page. *Most* 8" reference monitors don't need a subwoofer (especially for recording), but I agree, the HS8's *do* need one, for live monitoring anyway. You could get KRK or Mackie 8's and get away without the sub, but at the cost of the high frequency clarity.

I use the GNSms01 (Genos speakers) to demo the Genos at work, and they sound great. Would be even better with the subwoofer (the GNSMS01's "sub" isn't actually a subwoofer, more of a 'mid'); Yamaha's KSSW100 is the actual subwoofer for Genos (and yes, it *really* helps bring out rock, r&b and soul music) but I find that sub unnecessary for piano & strings, and frankly not 'tight enough' for piano.

I can tell you side by side with Korg's PAAS speaker bar and the old Tyros TRSMS05/TRSMS04/TRSMS02 speakers, the Genos's GNSMS01 absolutely blows them away. When I switch to the Tyros speakers, the Genos sounds *significantly* worse.

Hilariously, the Korg PA4x and PA5x both sound great with the TRSMS05 speakers :p

Mark

tyrosman

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2023, 03:27:08 PM »
i Use Yamaha HS7 and Genos Speakers