Author Topic: my DGX 650 stops recording about 2 minutes into my first attempt of each day  (Read 1435 times)

Offline dr4sight

I tend to record songs on my DGX-650 almost every day.  A typical session involves recording two or three songs.

Here's what happens almost every day.  I set up the recording as I have for several years.  I start playing my first song. Then some time about 2 minutes into it (give or take 20 seconds) the 650 stops recording.

At that point I set it up to overwrite the truncated song and things work fine thereafter.  I can always then record a second and sometimes a third song with no interruption.  So the irksome behavior happens once but then doesn't repeat itself.

I'm at a total loss to understand why this is happening and if there's a fix to this.

Has anyone with a DGX-650, 660 or 670 an idea what's happening here?

Larry

Offline Toril S

Hello Larry. This happens because the USB stick has trouble keeping up the speed. Try using a fresh stick, or reduce the amount of files on it. The fuller it is, the slower it becomes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 06:07:21 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline dr4sight

Worth a shot.  I'll give it a try later today.
thanks for the idea.

Larry

Offline dr4sight

Not a success.

I inserted a fresh usb jump drive (1 G byte free).  The only thing on the drive was the empty folder named User Files.

Then I went to record a song and within just 30 seconds the recording cut off.  I then reset it to overwrite the brief recording and started again.  This time the recording stopped about 15 seconds in.

So I don't think using a usb drive uncluttered by styles is the answer.

The search goes on.

Larry

Offline overover

Hi Larry,

The USB sticks you are currently using are probably just too slow. The stick with only 1 GB of storage space is probably many years old and for this reason is likely to be significantly slower than currently available sticks.

I recommend buying a current USB 3.x stick with e.g. 16, 32 or 64 GB and the highest possible write speed.

By the way, the keyboard has only USB 2.0 ports, but USB 3.x sticks are usually faster on USB 2.0 ports than old USB 2.0 sticks, and the stick is also much faster when copying data to/from the computer (if, as is common today, the computer supports USB 3).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 06:54:24 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline dr4sight

OK.  I will give that idea a try.
Just ordered a set of 3 USB 3.0 drives  with 32 GB memory on each.
It would be great if that fixes my isssue.

thanks for the help,

Larry

Offline Toril S

Agree with Chris. A fast stick will solve the problem unless there is a hardware issue.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline dr4sight

Looks like the fast stick has solved this problem.

I got a USB 3 stick (actually bought three of them).  Have tried it out on three separate days and there's been no time when the recording spontaneously went off.

So thanks again to all the smart people on the forum that have again helped me out.

Larry

Offline Toril S

Good to hear that it worked!😀😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.