Author Topic: 2nd Hand Genos Available in US?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline anandmaloo

2nd Hand Genos Available in US?
« on: March 10, 2023, 10:46:36 AM »
Hi,
As I mentioned in my previous post, my cousin is looking to buy a Genos, which is not available in India. And if I can get one from US, why not get a good 2nd hand from US. My sister lives in the US and can take delivery. Please let me know if anyone is interested to sell his Genos.

Also, can somebody guide me what should be a good deal price for a decent 2nd hand Genos.

Warm Regards

Anand

Offline mixermixer

Re: 2nd Hand Genos Available in US?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 02:10:26 PM »
You could try looking on ebay, reverb, or the used section on guitarcenter. But, they are still holding on to almost the original MSRP price of $6000 USD. You could find some that are as low as mid $4000 USD range.

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 06:36:21 PM »

You might want to contact dealers who specialize in arranger keyboards. They sometimes have trade-in keyboards available.

In the USA, I suggest https://audioproct.com/  Quite a few of us have bought arrangers there. If you call, Frank -- the proprietor -- will know what is in stock.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 08:46:35 PM »
Hi Anand,

Several used Genos available in the US on Reverb.com and ebay.com from $4500-$5000.

Uday
 :)

Offline Oxford1035

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 03:42:18 AM »
He has a relative in the US to take delivery, so he wont be importing it.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 07:56:27 AM »
IMHO patience and time are needed to buy a second hand Genos.
Take it easy. ☝️
For the time being it is too early to find a Genos in mint condition at a reasonable price, I guess.
As long as Yamaha have not officially confirmed a Genos' successor will be available ( soon ? ) the Genos will be hard to find at an attractive price, IMO. ;)

Good luck ! JH
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 08:18:43 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 03:26:15 PM »
When I bought my Genos I initially looked for a pre owned one but found that the price of a brand new vs a pre owned one wasn't that much different by a couple of hundred pounds so I went for new and so happy I did because I think by the way its built cosmetically its prone to getting marks and scratches very easily I think, unless you are really lucky and get a used one that was hardly used.

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2023, 08:32:40 AM »
Thanks a lot for your responses.  I guess it is indeed better to buy a new Genos rather than go for a second hand one with not much of a price difference.

However, as difficult as it can be for me to admit, my cousin who was using Tyros 3 for last 5 years, happened to check out Korg PA5X and is now more inclined towards it now. It is almost half the price, easily available, and a more vibrant ecosystem of voices and styles for India.

He is yet to take a final call though(i am pushing him against it as I feel it like a personal loss, being with Yamaha for last 35 years and 10 keyboards).

Regards
Anand

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2023, 09:11:26 AM »
Hi Anand :

I hope your cousin will never regret his decision after 35 years common Yamaha experience.  ::)
I have absolutely nothing against Korg, why should I ? But ... keep in mind the Korg is a different keyboard though.

If I were your cousin I should wait ( at least ) for the new Genos' successor ( November 2023 ? ) before making any final decision ... then the Genos will be 6 years old and hopefully Korg's PA5X present bugs will be solved !
It is hard to believe the PA5X's price is almost 50% lower but I have no knowledge of your local pricing, sorry.

But ... Who Am I  ?  ;)

Time and patience are the real answer, IMHO.
Cheers, JH
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 09:42:35 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 02:49:57 PM »

However, as difficult as it can be for me to admit, my cousin who was using Tyros 3 for last 5 years, happened to check out Korg PA5X and is now more inclined towards it now.

Regards
Anand

Hi anandmaloo,

Price is going to vary depending on where you are, but honestly if someone is going to spend that amount of money on an instrument it's no longer about price but has to be about the instrument that you're going to get on with the most and have absolutely no regrets getting.

I have both the Genos and Pa5x and both are exceptional instruments, they really are. I do have my opinions about them both positive and negative alike, but I do agree with Jeff here if you have been playing only Yamaha's then switching to something completely different may overwhelm you at first, especially if you want to hit the ground running - which I've always believed was why the like of Korgs and Yamaha predominantly made incremental updates so that you are STILL able to just port stuff across easily and use it like your older model if need be. Although things of late have changed a little as both the Genos and Pa5x have changed the OS quite significantly from older models but that's not the point here because as a Yamaha only user like in your case, switching to another brand may impact you unless you have the capacity to embrace & learn something new and have time for it, then why not, a change is good sometimes, but I will guarantee you that you always return to the "first love", I did. I started with Yamaha's and I don't think I could live without one again.

I have been fortunate to be able to own more than one arranger so it's been Yamaha and Korg since the Tyros3 days where I had the Pa1x and Tyros 3 combination it's been like that ever since now with Genos and Pa5x. If I had to pick one, at a real big push only because of certain things still lacking in the Korg that Yamaha has, it would be Yamaha first until that changes. Yamaha still has the most amazing scats, vocal sounds and choirs that I've ever heard anywhere, the ones in Korg have improved but are still weak in comparison and this impacts the music I play.

So think about the change before you make it, although to be fair you said you had a T3 which didn't have hardly any of those sounds as they were introduced from the T4 so I think you'll be quite pleasantly surprised if you like those sounds.

All the best whatever you choose,
Danny.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 02:56:50 PM by Danny1972 »

Offline stkeys

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 08:57:15 PM »
I was lucky enough to find a Genos in Mint condition packed in original box only 6 months old on Reverb for $4199 free shipping here in the US.
It includes the Music rest extension that's sold on Ebay.
It ships out tomorrow so I should have it by next week.
I decided to upgrade from the PSR SX900 to the Genos so the SX900 is up for sale on Reverb now.

I purchased a Genos years back when it first came out but sold it as I didn't have the room for it then..... things are different now so I'm looking forward to incorporating into my studio along with the Ketron Audya 4 and Ketron SD90 modules.