Author Topic: Playing Midi and Styles together  (Read 2107 times)

Offline pegwill

Playing Midi and Styles together
« on: February 18, 2023, 10:49:06 AM »
Hi All
I have been trying to figure out how you can play Midi and Styles together. I have found a YouTube demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKMvv2Gz6ng

By Casper TutorSynth but I am unable to see exactly the process involved. This due to the camera shots of the menus and selected items being blurred. I wonder if anybody can provide a walk through?

Many thanks

Have a good weekend

Regards

pegwill

Offline vlbrgt

Re: Playing Midi and Styles together
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 12:33:30 PM »
What he is doing is starting/stopping the style while the midi is playing.
He does it it with the button SYNC/START of the style buttons.
What he shows on the screen is that when only the midi file plays the 16 channels are playing from the midi file.
If he then push SYNC/START the next chord played will start the style playing.
Now channels 9 to 16 are played by the style channels, and the midi only plays channels 1 to 8.

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

The following users thanked this post: pegwill

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 12:39:17 PM »
Playing midi and style synchronized :

Select a style. Set 'ACMP' and 'SYNC START' On.
Select a midi file that includes the chords (not necessary if you play the chords yourself).
Open on Genos the SONG screen and set the song to start together with the Style (Synchronize) : This is done by selecting the 3 bars with the arrow down. It will become green and the song Play/Pauze button on the genos will start blinking on and off.
If you then push the styles button 'START/STOP' both the midi file and the style will start to play synchronized, and the style will follow the chords of the midi file.
The style will only follow the midi chords as long as you do not play a chord on the Genos.
Once you play a chord the synchronization is lost.

Regards
Etienne
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

The following users thanked this post: pegwill

madirv

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 01:19:26 PM »
This is absolutely tremendous and apparently you can do this on the SX900.  Thanks for the post pegwill and thank you for your explanation  Etienne.
I'm off to try this NOW and I foresee many hours of hair pulling, swearing and frustration interspersed with a few brief moments of joy !!!!!
Bit like life really  ;D ;D ;D
Cheers
Irene

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 07:47:59 PM »
Thanks Etienne for the good explanation. I would like to clarify some more details. For this way of "playing" you should use MIDI files in which the accompaniment instruments play on channel 9-16. When Style is started with MIDI, channels 9-16 automatically stop playing and the Style channels take over the accompaniment. I'm pointing my finger at that at 0:44 seconds. Right after that I stop the Style, and you can see that MIDI channels 9-16 are reactivated.
With this approach, we can completely change the arrangement of the MIDI song. You can hear that at 03:14 where I continue to play the song Can Can along with the Oberkrainer polka. It can continue to play and after the MIDI ends, it is heard at 03:30.

So when the MIDI starts, we can easily sync the Style with it. However, Yamaha did not provide us with the reverse possibility. I want to play with the Style and at a certain point trigger the MIDI. The MIDI is out of sync. That's why I used a trick. I made a MARKER on the song and started MIDI manually. Look at the moment 01:56. Here we have to be precise so that the rhythm is correct. It's easy to make a mistake.

If you have any more questions, I will be happy to answer them.

regards, ckobu = casper
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: AndiiRoo, vlbrgt, pegwill

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 09:47:43 PM »
Thanks Casper for the extra information.

Regards
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline pegwill

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 05:52:01 AM »
Hi Etiene and ckobu

Thank you so much for the replies. When I get time I will go and have a play.

Regards

pegwill

oliver65

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 01:36:08 PM »
The problem is, that it gives no possibility to hear the drums from the style and the channels 11 - 16 from the midi. Example: I want only the drums from a style and I need also the channels 11 - 16 from the midi because there are important notes. But as I start the style I have no way to hear the channels 11 - 16 from the midi.
Or does anyknow know a solution?
Oliver

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 01:58:40 PM »
The problem is, that it gives no possibility to hear the drums from the style and the channels 11 - 16 from the midi. Example: I want only the drums from a style and I need also the channels 11 - 16 from the midi because there are important notes. But as I start the style I have no way to hear the channels 11 - 16 from the midi.
Oliver
That is how the Yamaha keyboards are configured. You will always loose the channel 9...16 from the midi file.
A solution is to swap the channels between 9...16 that you would like to hear to channels 1...8 in the midi file.
i.e. put the channels that you would like to hear in channels 1...8 (you are limited to these 8 channels).
Swapping can be done easily in MixMaster (https://psrtutorial.com/MB/EV_Files/mixmaster.html), or with MidiWorksYA.

Regards
Etienne

Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 02:05:42 PM »
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

If you only need the drums from the style, you could try just turning off the ACMP button. If I remember correctly, the remaining channels of the MIDI file (11 - 16) are not muted in this case.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

oliver65

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 03:22:16 PM »
Hi Oliver,

If you only need the drums from the style, you could try just turning off the ACMP button. If I remember correctly, the remaining channels of the MIDI file (11 - 16) are not muted in this case.

Best regards,
Chris

AMCP has unfortunately no influence. 11 - 16 keeps mute.