Author Topic: Sudden drop in Mic Volume  (Read 1550 times)

Offline anandmaloo

Sudden drop in Mic Volume
« on: March 06, 2023, 09:22:55 AM »
Hi all,

I have a Genos and I use a Shure corded microphone, connecting it to Genos.

I have always had a good volume from the microphone, with almost zero requirement to fidget the Gain knob (the point is that even at 5-10% of knob, it gave me sufficient decibels. never needed to disturb it. Decentr output was there even at 0% of knob).

Recently, I shifted my house and so unplugged and plugged back all my Genos connections. Now, after reconnecting, the volume from microphone has dropped considerably. It give zero output at 5-10% gain and barely some output at 80-90% gain knob

What could possible go wrong? I also checked and realigned the switch near the microphone input for phantom power. No difference at all in both positions.

Please advice

Regards

Anand Kr Maloo

Re: Sudden drop in Mic Volume
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 12:00:16 PM »
The first thing to check is your mic cable. If one conductor is broken you may get a bit of signal. Try a new mic cable but turn everything down first. Keep us posted ;).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: anandmaloo

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 03:43:59 PM »
Hi all,

I have a Genos and I use a Shure corded microphone, connecting it to Genos.

I have always had a good volume from the microphone, with almost zero requirement to fidget the Gain knob (the point is that even at 5-10% of knob, it gave me sufficient decibels. never needed to disturb it. Decentr output was there even at 0% of knob).

Recently, I shifted my house and so unplugged and plugged back all my Genos connections. Now, after reconnecting, the volume from microphone has dropped considerably. It give zero output at 5-10% gain and barely some output at 80-90% gain knob

What could possible go wrong? I also checked and realigned the switch near the microphone input for phantom power. No difference at all in both positions. ...

Hi Anand,

Please note that the Mic Gain knob is NOT a Volume control for the mic. Only the INPUT LEVEL ("sensitivity") is set with the Gain knob, in such a way that the Input Level Meter in the Mic Setting (and also the SIGNAL LED next to the Gain knob) lights up yellow or (better) green. If it lights up red, the input level is too high and distortion may occur.

The actual Mic Volume is set separately, e.g. in the Mic Setting, Vocal Harmony or Mixer (Panel 2) display or with a Live Control Slider, by default slider #9 if Slider Assign Type is set to "B" (Balance).

I recommend turning the Mic Volume all the way down to adjust the Gain knob (see above). When you speak/sing loudly into the mic, the Input Level Meter should be GREEN (or, to put it another way, "not quite red yet").

Please also see the attached screenshots.

P.S.
The Phantom Power switch has nothing to do with the Mic Volume. If you are using a regular dynamic mic, the phantom power should be turned OFF. Only if you are using a condenser mic that requires an external power supply, turn phantom power ON.

By the way, dynamic mics are usually not damaged when operated with phantom power on (if a properly wired, balanced XLR cable is used). When using an unbalanced XLR cable, however, there is a risk that the voice coil of the connected dynamic mic will be destroyed by the phantom power!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 03:49:48 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 09:55:44 PM »
Which Shure microphone are you using? Just asking to determine if the mic is dynamic or condenser.

Thanks — pj

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 08:37:51 AM »
The first thing to check is your mic cable. If one conductor is broken you may get a bit of signal. Try a new mic cable but turn everything down first. Keep us posted ;).

Hi Lee,

It IS the cable.  How a perfectly serving cable for years, suddenly went kaput ! Maybe it was bent too hard while in transit.

Thanks a lot for the correct diagnosis.

Warm Regards

Anand

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 01:04:51 PM »
Glad to help, Anand  ;).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.