Author Topic: A little introspection: why do you keep buying a new keyboard?  (Read 2627 times)

Offline ton37

A little introspection: why do you keep buying a new keyboard?
« on: February 22, 2023, 08:57:55 AM »
There are plenty of keyboard models on the market. What could be the reason that you will choose another keyboard at a certain point?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 09:09:02 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline BogdanH

Re: A little introspection: why do you keep buying a new keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 10:08:47 AM »
ok, I'll bite..  :)
Main trigger(s) to buy new keyboard would be:
-if new keyboard has feature/option that I'm personally missing on my existing keyboard all the time
-if new keyboard has noticeable better built-in voices
-if new keyboard has more creative/flexible ways of creating styles and manipulating voices

I apologize if I stole some of your reasons  ;D
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline JohnS

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 10:40:24 AM »
Because we're daft.

I still have my Tyros4 and Tyros5, and they are still as good as the original advertising claimed.
I have a Tyros5/76 & Tyros4 SE XL.
My keyboard holds every song ever written. I just have to find them.

Offline ton37

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 10:51:38 AM »
Hi @JohnS. It is not an intention to criticize the choice of others. More why yes, not why not! I'm especially curious about the why yes... and respect everyone's choice!  ;) Apparently you have ever made the choice for the Tyros 4 to the Tyros 5, the why is interesting to read.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 10:55:19 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 11:10:00 AM »
Good morning,

To answer the same kind of question, there are many cars on the market, for what reasons would you choose a car at any given time?
In my opinion, the reason is simple, either it responds to a necessity or a whim, in other words the desire to have fun.
Personally, I don't ask myself so many questions.
Christian

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 12:53:41 PM »
Many older keyboards don't have USB.
Like my old Tyros 1.
There's also the question of do you get an old one repaired, which in itself could well be uneconomical, or scale up to a newer board with more up to date technology.
Keyboard repairs are notoriously expensive.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 10:07:09 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 01:11:18 PM »
Any of the top of the line Yamaha keyboard models that include the improved Vocal Harmony 2 (VH2) are great sounding keyboards. I think the first keyboard was the Tyros 4 (2010) and I upgraded to the PSR-S950 when it came out in 2012.

No reason to upgrade except of years of use, I had planned to upgrade every 10 years. I am waiting for the next SX board to come out, unless the one I have breaks down before then.

My current S950 can use any of the new named styles that come out on the newer boards. So there is always new material to work with as I make my own custom song styles from parts of all the Yamaha styles. For this reason I would not switch manufacturers ever.

You can’t really tell the difference in the sound of the boards anymore and each new model has added just minor improvements that a home user would really need or that my audience at a gig would ever notice.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 01:59:12 PM »
Honestly the only difference that I noticed on the new models are the drums, but for me the drums are the most important sound in a song. I always hated how the drum voices sound on Korg and Yamaha Keyboards but now with the Genos and CVP 809 they start to sound more real and natural. I wish you could buy more drums voices like on the virtual instruments that I used. For example on Superior Drummer 3 you buy the software and it comes with a core library that has 7 full kits and a lot of extra kicks, snares, hit hats, etc, but you can also buy expansion packs called “SDXs” that have been recorded by legendary music producers or engineers like Bob Rock, Chuck Ainlay, Al schmitt, etc, and believe me they sound amazing.

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 02:09:01 PM »
I think the main reasons for buying a new arranger, especially a TOTL model are -
- making the leap from a much lower spec model
- making the leap from a much older model
- entering the arranger market for the first time
- having a problem with your current keyboard
Actually I think that the evidence is that very, very few people upgrade a relatively recent instrument to the latest. There is usually so little to be gained from that, and unlike changing cars, changing keyboards is not just about money. It’s also quite a lot of work and hassle compared to the gain.
A few people do it almost as a matter of course, like Eileen for example on this forum. Or for some maybe there is some feature upgrade that really matters to them, or maybe they just succumb to marketing hype. But I believe these are all comparatively few. The main reasons are the ones at the top.
Mike
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 02:17:24 PM by mikf »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 02:51:08 PM »
Why? Because it has a feature, or features, I’m looking for.

My main reason for buying a Genos is the lighter weight. Much easier to tote around than the Tyros.

Cheers,
Fref
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline ton37

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 03:00:13 PM »
@Mikf: an attempt to streamline the answers somewhat: the point is not why 'someone' or 'people' change their keyboard, but why 'YOU' buys another keyboard.
My best regards,
Ton

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 04:28:05 PM »
I bought my last keyboards because I wanted something that had accompaniment but sounded and felt more like a real piano, and my wife wanted something that looked better. So I bought a CVP about 8 years ago, and liked it so much I bought a second one for my other house. I don’t see anything that would tempt me to buy a new keyboard currently. It’s just too much trouble for minimal benefit.
Mike

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 04:58:26 PM »
For me, the SX 900.  Primarily for voices and styles, none of the other frills.  Also, because it’s more portable than the Genos for gigging 3 to 5 times weekly.

Offline pjd

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 07:05:01 PM »
Because we're daft.

Had a good laugh -- thanks. And you're not far off the mark.  :)

I need high quality orchestral instruments in a single, portable package. [Please do not recommend a laptop and VSTs. Too fiddly for church, literally.] Size and weight are important.

Last big change was Roland to Yamaha. Roland gave up, Yamaha progressed.

We're now at the point where MODX and Genos are more than good enough. I will be sticking with these. Any other purchase is exploring the technological unknown -- an equally challenging hobby and is daft.  :D

All the best -- pj

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 07:41:32 PM »
For better features! And for fun! I am gadget happy😀
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 10:50:23 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2023, 10:17:24 PM »
Why!!!!   Why not!!! ;D

"You can't take it with you"!! :) Live for the now!! :)
Like my mum used to say ,"If you cannot afford it, you should of worked harder at school"!! ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 10:19:42 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2023, 10:31:47 PM »
Hi :

I am a guitar guy and a guitar player prefers to keep her/his instrument as long as possible if he/she has found the guitar he/she always wanted to have.
For me an arranger is in the first place a music instrument.
Up to now my Tyros4 has never let me down and it is not easy for me to let it go. A feeling I cannot explain. :o

It is what it is and ... a Genos' successor might be a potential instrument in 2024.

I am aware guitars and arrangers are not comparable.

Best regards, JH

Offline mikf

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2023, 10:54:56 PM »
Why!!!!   Why not!!!
"You can't take it with you"!! Live for the now!!
Like my mum used to say ,"If you cannot afford it, you should have worked harder at school"!! ;D
There are lots of good reasons ‘why or why not’ besides affording it. In fact so far on this thread no-one mentioned cost as a driver or road block.

BTW -  Toril has been diagnosed with a serious condition called  ‘Arrangeritis’ . Victims of this disease find it impossible to resist buying every new arranger on the market. Be cautious because I believe it might be contagious.  ;D ;D ;D

Mike
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 11:02:20 PM by mikf »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2023, 08:04:16 PM »
You better watch out mate, Toril will send out the Trolls to get yer' ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 03:07:29 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Toril S

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2023, 08:30:07 PM »
Yes, I have a bad case, and it is contagious and uncurable! Watch out! :) :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page