Author Topic: Will Tyros5 styles work on SX700?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline john1509

Will Tyros5 styles work on SX700?
« on: February 20, 2023, 07:54:13 PM »
hi just a quick question will the tyros 5 sty's work with the sx700. or do i need a specific file type thanks 

Edit 2023-02-22 by overover: Source and target keyboard models added to the Subject.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 09:12:12 PM by overover »

Offline BogdanH

Re: styles
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 08:12:04 PM »
Yes, Tyros 5 *.sty styles will work on SX700, however it could be necessary to replace some voices in style (depending on what voices are used in style).

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline john1509

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 09:31:30 PM »
hi thanks for the quick reply. I have download some tyros sty and put them onto a pen drive but quite a lot of them don't sound like the song. that's in the title. am i doing something wrong or just being stupid.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 09:48:16 PM »
hi thanks for the quick reply. I have download some tyros sty and put them onto a pen drive but quite a lot of them don't sound like the song. that's in the title. am i doing something wrong or just being stupid.

I doubt you’re doing anything wrong. Most styles need to be tweaked to incorporate the voices the keyboard has.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 10:07:26 PM »

Hi John,

These styles are probably not "song specific" styles (e.g. containing the original intro and ending), but just renamed preset styles (possibly with slightly changed voices) with which you can play the song title in question. There are good, specially programmed song-specific styles, e.g. from the German company "DOO":
>>> https://www.d-o-o.de/index.php?&lang=en

You can use all available Yamaha styles on the SX700, i.e. both SFF1 styles (up to Tyros2/PSR-S900/700) and SFF2 (= SFF GE) styles (from Tyros3/PSR-S910). If certain voices of the original keyboard (for which the style was programmed) are not present on the target keyboard (e.g. SuperArticulation2 voices or certain MegaVoices), the keyboard will automatically try to use similar voices. This can work well or badly in individual cases. However, manual editing of the style is often necessary (e.g. selecting suitable voices, setting the part volumes, effect settings).

Of course, all Yamaha (MIDI-)Style extensions are supported, not just .STY. Here is an overview of the Style file extensions:
    .prs = Pro Style
    .sst = Session Style
    .fps = Free Play Style
    .scp = DJ Style
    .sty = Standard Style
    .bcs = Basic Style
    .pst = Pianist Style
    .pcs = Piano Combo Style

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 03:32:15 AM »
You might want to try out the Tyros5 styles found on this page that were converted to work in a SX900 keyboard.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/sty/collections/onacimus.html

They should sound good in you SX700 keyboard

Offline john1509

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 08:16:21 PM »
thank you guys for all your help. so glad I found this site learning a lot of new things for a beginner that's just got the sx700. if there is any more tips i should know send them my way  thanks again

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 09:04:13 PM »
thank you guys for all your help. so glad I found this site learning a lot of new things for a beginner that's just got the sx700. if there is any more tips i should know send them my way  thanks again

You're welcome, John! I'm glad to could help you.

If you have further questions, just post in an existing thread related to your topic, or create a new thread (click on "NEW TOPIC" button) in an appropriate board. Important: Please always choose a meaningful title (subject) for your thread.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)