Author Topic: Exporting files from the Yamaha expansion drive  (Read 2663 times)

Exporting files from the Yamaha expansion drive
« on: February 20, 2023, 09:07:27 AM »
Hello
I have in my keyboard {SX700} a pack of sound samples that is installed inside the Yamaha expansion drive. I would like to know how to export the entire package and transfer it in its entirety to other keyboards of the same model in such a way that it remains organized in the same folders and in the same order {this is an extension package without copyright}
Thanks.

Offline BogdanH

Re: Exporting files from the Yamaha expansion drive
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 09:37:08 AM »
hi,
Expansion pack installation is a one way process. That is, you can not export pack from keyboard back to USB stick or PC. Or more precisely, you can not export sound samples.
You can manually copy styles to USB stick, but they probably won't sound properly if sound samples are missing.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Kazatskov

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 10:10:08 AM »
No, I know there is such a possibility, I know of some who have done it, but I don't know how...

Online Enildo

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 10:36:45 AM »
Hello friend!!!

01. If you have the installer file (ppi), you can install it on other keyboards similar to yours.
02. If you have the editing file (ppf), you can take it to the Yamaha Expansion Manager and within the program you can create the installation file (ppi), which can also be installed on any keyboard.
03. Now if your installation file is in closed format (cpi), or the editing file is in closed format (cpf), you will only be able to use it on your keyboard. It was made for the n27 of your keyboard and you cannot use it on others.

There is no possibility to extract the package that was already installed on your keyboard for others. And so I hope it is, as it protects the copyright of the owners.

Enildo
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 10:38:39 AM by Enildo »
When word fail, Music speaks!

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline danand

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 09:18:25 AM »
01. If you have the installer file (ppi), you can install it on other keyboards similar to yours.

Are you sure about this? That you can install a "Pack installation file" (ppi) to moire than one keyboards?
I have the impression that every "Pack installation file" (ppi) already contain the .n27 keyboard ID so it is not possible to install it in more than one instruments.
It is "locked" to only one keyboard, since contains  the .n27 keyboard ID

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 10:44:31 AM »
I think Enildo means ppi file downloaded from Yamaha expansion pack web page. These ppi files are keyboard "type/model" locked and are not tied to particular HardwareID.
Being at that, it's a shame Yamaha doesn't provide the same possibility for keyboard owners.

CORRECTION: Sorry, I had cpf/cpi file in mind!

Bogdan
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 10:53:00 AM by BogdanH »
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Online Enildo

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 12:53:11 PM »
Are you sure about this? That you can install a "Pack installation file" (ppi) to moire than one keyboards?
I have the impression that every "Pack installation file" (ppi) already contain the .n27 keyboard ID so it is not possible to install it in more than one instruments.
It is "locked" to only one keyboard, since contains  the .n27 keyboard ID

I have two different SX900 n27's installed on my Yamaha Expansio Manager. One of them I use to make my personal packs (PPI), which I use in my presentations and I have another one that I use just for testing. The n27 for personal use I already left configured with all the selections I made in each pack, I use over 30 packs, some of which I don't use the whole pack completely, so I select only a few files of voices or styles that I'm interested in. The second n27, I use it only for testing. For example, I want to test a new pack, either from Yamaha or from third parties, so I just select that pack, on the second n27 (which is not my keyboard) and the installation is much faster, as I am not going to touch the settings of the my daily use pack.
It would be very time consuming and complicated if each new pack installed in YEM, I needed to keep installing and uninstalling everything all the time.
So I use an extra n27, which I got from another SX900, just to make new packs known, because the installation is faster, and to know if there is something of interest to me. If any style or voice files interest me, I go to my main n27, and select the whole pack or just what interests me.

So, to answer your question: yes, PPI can be used on any standalone keyboard on n27. The CPI does not, it will only install for the n27 of origin.

Hope you understand!
Hug to everyone!
Enildo
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 12:59:38 PM by Enildo »

Offline danand

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 09:05:21 AM »
To be honest I never try myself... I had the impression that it is not possible to use the same "Pack installation file" (ppi) in more than one keyboards because of the emended ".n27" ID, from what I read around...

In any case here is a small "Test_Installation" I create for your SX900 with a "generic" .n27 ID
Can you please download and test it?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zn3WBMxK-InfR-uvYFUJrcESzOvIPtpW/view?usp=sharing

I'm waiting for your report...

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 10:16:35 AM »
How can I tell what type {format} of extension file is installed on my tool?

Online Enildo

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 03:37:52 PM »
To be honest I never try myself... I had the impression that it is not possible to use the same "Pack installation file" (ppi) in more than one keyboards because of the emended ".n27" ID, from what I read around...

In any case here is a small "Test_Installation" I create for your SX900 with a "generic" .n27 ID
Can you please download and test it?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zn3WBMxK-InfR-uvYFUJrcESzOvIPtpW/view?usp=sharing

I'm waiting for your report...

It has been successfully installed!

Offline danand

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 08:51:56 AM »
Great! I learn something new today....

Did you ever try to install "Pack installation file" (ppi) with .n27 ID from a totally different keyboard?
I prepare this one with a generic s775 n27 ID
Can you also try this one?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1brCp_Sk4NBjYjs0uFziV9_BduHmQBWiB/view?usp=share_link

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 09:32:19 AM »
Did you ever try to install "Pack installation file" (ppi) with .n27 ID from a totally different keyboard?
Hi Danand,

This will NOT work. A .ppi Pack Install file will only work on the keyboard model it was originally created for. For example, a . ppi created for SX900 will work on all SX900s, but NOT on e.g. SX700, S970, Genos or whatever.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Online Enildo

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 11:49:20 PM »
Great! I learn something new today....

Can you also try this one?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1brCp_Sk4NBjYjs0uFziV9_BduHmQBWiB/view?usp=share_link

It will not work.
In that case, I won't even try.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 04:16:02 PM »
I can confirm that the .ppi file can only be loaded into the keyboard with the correct n27 file. I tested this a long time ago. If you want to load a pack into a different (some model) keyboard you have to import the correct n27 file into YEM for that particular keyboard.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Online Enildo

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2023, 01:10:30 PM »
I can confirm that the .ppi file can only be loaded into the keyboard with the correct n27 file. I tested this a long time ago. If you want to load a pack into a different (some model) keyboard you have to import the correct n27 file into YEM for that particular keyboard.

Joe H

Hello Joe!

I think you're wrong Joe!
It is just not possible to install PPI, if it is from different models. If it's the same model, it can be installed easily, I even installed the PPI "Danand" on my SX900, as you can see above.

Regards
Enildo

Offline Joe H

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2023, 04:03:43 PM »
Hello Joe!

I think you're wrong Joe!
It is just not possible to install PPI, if it is from different models. If it's the same model, it can be installed easily, I even installed the PPI "Danand" on my SX900, as you can see above.

Regards
Enildo

Hi Enildo,

I remember now... I was testing saving a pack as a .CPI file.  You are right the .PPI file can be loaded into any keyboard.  If a pack is saved as .CPI with a certain n27 number, then it can only be installed on that particular keyboard.

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 04:15:23 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2023, 05:32:31 PM »
Hey Joe H :

What do you mean by " into any keyboard " ?
I assume you mean each keyboard that can load expansion packs, correct ? ;)

Best regards, JH

Offline Joe H

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2023, 08:55:05 PM »
Hey Joe H :

What do you mean by " into any keyboard " ?
I assume you mean each keyboard that can load expansion packs, correct ? ;)

Best regards, JH

Yes, that's correct.

Joe H