Author Topic: Sustain pedal not working when in style creation mode  (Read 1610 times)

Offline karstegg

Sustain pedal not working when in style creation mode
« on: February 12, 2023, 03:46:07 PM »
Hi everyone. I trying out style creation mode, but my sustain pedal does not work on any of the channels. Does anyone know how ro resolve?

Offline overover

Re: Sustain pedal not working when in style creation mode
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 05:05:27 PM »
Hi karstegg,

This "problem" is well-known. The likely reason for this behavior is that style playback errors (when switching style sections) may occur if the style data contains Sustain Pedal On/Off messages.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 07:51:11 PM »
Yamaha deliberately does not allow sustain messages in style Sections.  They can corrupt a style playback

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline karstegg

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 04:16:07 AM »
Thank you. Its a pity, as I can now not create good piano parts.
Thank you once again.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 07:05:54 AM »
Thank you. Its a pity, as I can now not create good piano parts.
Thank you once again.

Hi karstegg,

Unfortunately, there is no "Edit" tab (Step Edit) in the Style Creator on the DGX-670. With other models (e.g. Genos, PSR-S/SX) you could increase the "Gate Time" value (= note length) of the desired MIDI notes there to simulate a sustain pedal effect.

If it is not possible to simply hold down the "sustained" notes longer when recording the relevant piano parts in the Style Creator, the only possibility would be to post-process the relevant style in a suitable program on the PC.

In a DAW like Cubase or Cakewalk you can easily lengthen the desired MIDI notes. However, you must first use the "Style Split and Splice" program to separate the MIDI part of the style from the "non-MIDI" part (and after editing the MIDI part in the DAW, merge the two parts back into a working style).

You could also use the PC program "MixMaster". Here you can load styles directly and save them again after editing. However, it is much more time-consuming than using the graphical interface of a DAW to edit many note lengths accordingly.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 07:19:26 PM »
Hi --

Another possible work around is to temporarily lengthen the release time of specific notes. Try MIDI Continuous Control (CC) message type/number 72. It may be tedious to add these messages...

Some low-cost keyboards implement "sustain" this way.

Hope this suggestion helps -- pj

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 09:30:02 PM »
Hi --

Another possible work around is to temporarily lengthen the release time of specific notes. Try MIDI Continuous Control (CC) message type/number 72. It may be tedious to add these messages...

Some low-cost keyboards implement "sustain" this way.

Hope this suggestion helps -- pj

Hi pj,

Yes, you could actually create a sustain pedal-like effect by increasing the release time. But if not all piano notes should sound "sustained", but the effect should be applied to specific notes, you would have to alternately lengthen and then shorten again the release time with the appropriate MIDI commands. However, this could possibly lead to problems when changing the style sections as well as when working with Sustain Pedal On/Off commands.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 11:07:54 PM »
Hi Chris --

True, that. One would have the same problem with CC#72 (release time) as CC#64 (sustain).  :D I hate to think about the tedium of editing all those notes.

I believe Yamaha actively filters/blocks CC#64. CC#72 would get by the censors.  :)

From a computer science perspective, there are parts of the tone generation hardware which can be put into a state and then left there, i.e., a PUSH without a POP.

I sometimes think about exploiting this residual state in style design/development. For example, a style section could enable a DSP effect which is left ON during other sections. Then, a different style section could return the DSP effect to its previous state. In this case, the DSP parameters are residual state (memory) across style sections.

Sorry to digress -- pj
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 11:09:21 PM by pjd »