Author Topic: Changing OTS on a DGX-670  (Read 1705 times)

Offline rphillipchuk

Changing OTS on a DGX-670
« on: February 20, 2023, 02:33:18 AM »
Hi

I have purchased a Yamaha DGX0-670 and really quite pleased with it... Is it possible to change the "OTS" using the DGX-679 ?

If not, what do you recommend ?

Thanks in advance
Ron

edit:  Solved !

edit:  NOT solved !!!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 03:58:21 AM by rphillipchuk »
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

MacBook Pro 32 Gigs Ram, 1 Terrabyte SSD

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline rphillipchuk

Re: Changing OTS on a DGX-670
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 03:59:20 AM »
If I have an existing Style and I want to change the OTS, how can I do this ?
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 05:28:28 AM »
I have purchased a Yamaha DGX0-670 and really quite pleased with it... Is it possible to change the "OTS" using the DGX-670 ?

If not, what do you recommend ?

If I have an existing Style and I want to change the OTS, how can I do this ?

Hi Ron,

Unfortunately, Yamaha has dispensed with dedicated OTS buttons on the DGX-670. You can therefore only use the OTS LINK function on this instrument to switch the OTS, i.e. Main Var A calls up OTS #1, Var B > OTS #2, Var C > OTS #3, D > OTS #4. Because of the lack of OTS buttons, there is no way to directly select the OTS (with the OTS LINK function switched off), and there is no way to re-memorize the OTS of Styles directly on the DGX-670.

To edit the OTS of Styles you could use the PC (Windows) program "OTS Editor", developed by our forum member Jørgen Sørensen:
>>> http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/otseditor/index.htm

Or you can use another keyboard (e.g. PSR-S/SX, Genos, Tyros) that allows re-memorizing OTS.

In my opinion, however, the best way is to work with Registrations (with the OTS LINK function switched off). Here you can memorize everything as you wish. You can also create pure "Voice Registrations" (which do not change the current Style but only the Right Voices) if you wish.

For the sake of completeness: In order to also memorize the Left Voice in a registration, but to avoid that this registration later changes the Style, you have to work with a little trick: load any "dummy" Style (e.g. from a special USB stick) and memorize this Style in the registration as usual. Then you make sure that when you call up the registration later, this Style can no longer be found (e.g. by removing the relevant USB stick).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 07:00:10 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 09:00:32 AM »
rlipchuk Good advice from Chris.
In addition with my DGX670 I make banks of my favorite Voices saved as RGT's with Style Un-ticked.
I first tweak my Voices in Voice Edit with DSP-Volume etc:: before saving as Voice RGT's. (Example Pno_Gtr_Str_Chr).
This allows you to use these RGT Voices with any selected style by switching off OTS Link..
This may appear complicated but in fact is very easy to do.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 09:04:02 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline rphillipchuk

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 01:02:21 PM »
Many thanks to overover and Graham !

Please correct if needed.

- Load Style
- Select Voice
- Press 1
- Press Memory
- Press 2
- Press Memory
- Press 3
- Press Memory
- Press 4
- Press Memory
where do I go from here ?  I have all documentation but still a little confused

Thanks everyone
Ron
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 01:05:53 PM by rphillipchuk »

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 01:32:54 PM »
Hi Ron,

to memorize the current panel settings to a Registration button make the desired settings, then first press the Memory button.

In the "Registration Memory" dialog that now appears, make sure that all the necessary checkboxes for the parameter groups to be memorized are ticked. At least the Style, Voice , Keyboard Harmony and Tempo checkboxes must be ticked for Style registrations. For Voice registrations that should only change the Right Voices, Voice and Keyboard Harmony must also be ticked, but Style must be unticked.

Repeat these steps for the other Reg buttons as needed.

Finally, save the Registration Bank: Press the BANK button to bring up the Registration Bank Selection display. There you press SAVE and save the current bank under a meaningful name in the desired location (USB stick or user drive).

Please also see the "Registration Memory" chapters in the DGX-670 Owner's Manual from page 80 and in the DGX-670 Reference Manual from page 61.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 01:48:25 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 02:46:54 PM »
Following on from Chris.

To make future general editing organised...
First create Folders on a USB
STY. (Styles)  RGT. ( Registrations)  VCE. (Voices)
After creating 1.2.3.4 Voices.
Press RGT Bank & save (name) (V.Fav1 RGT ?) with Style Unticked.
You can now use V Fav1 voices with any selected Style to play.

You can create as many Voice RGT's as you like.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 10:56:20 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline rphillipchuk

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 03:58:47 PM »
I am still struggling with this concept.......

The way that I am used to doing, is using OTS and when I change variations, the OTS takes over and changes accordingly....

If I used Registrations, when I change from Var1 to Var2, I also need to press #2 Registration to change the voice ?  So no OTS to change, I have to manually change .

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 04:59:25 PM »
Hi Ron,

Registrations have nothing to with OTS.

If you have the Style checkbox ticked when memorizing a registration, the current Style section (e.g. Main Variation A) is also memorized (and called up again by that reg button).

By the way, yoz can also memorize a Intro, Fill in, Break or Ending to a Reg button. To do this, first press the desired Main Variation button. For a Fill in press the same button again so that the Main Var button is flashing. Or press one of the Intro or Ending buttons or the Break button.

In addition you can switch the Style sections using the Style Control buttons as usual.

If you did not tick the Style box when memorizing a registration (but only tick the Voice and Keyboard Harmony boxes), you will get a "Voice Registration" that only changes the Right voices.

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK