Author Topic: A pencil fell into my 805!!  (Read 1982 times)

Offline jcm2016

A pencil fell into my 805!!
« on: February 16, 2023, 11:21:51 PM »
A pencil rolled off of the music rest while I was playing and went behind the fall board.  I lowered the fall board to get it and it rolled into the piano itself, under the music rest.   It doesn't seem to impact anything.  Everything is working fine as far as I can tell.  And the fall board goes up and down just the same as before. 

Is the best thing to simply leave it there?   I really really really don't want to try opening anything.

Thanks

Offline jcm2016

Re: A pencil fell into my 805!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 07:47:18 AM »
I got it out.

I used a food skewer because it was very thin, and was able to wiggle the pencil out. 

It appears the gap is normally too narrow for a pencil, but during a portion of the motion of the fall board from open to close, it becomes just wide enough for a pencil to slip through.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 08:17:48 AM »
Unlikely to happen on a keyboard, but I have a used plastic spice container cable tied to my music rest for pencils. Got fed up with having to scurry round on the floor every time they rolledd off the music rest. Lesson learned from the days when I had roll top organs.
Korg  PA5X
I also play a Yamaha PSR-SX700
I also own a Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 10:24:26 AM »
Glad you got it out!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 05:21:55 PM »
As a 805 owner myself, I can well understand how you managed to loose the pencil, as you say the gap can be quite large in certain positions.
What I don’t understand is how you managed to retrieve it, using the food skewer?
Well done, and I must remember not to leave pencils on top of the instrument, ::)

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 12:38:41 PM »
Hello - to retrieve the pencil, I had the lid in the fully closed position.  Then I shined a light into crack and could see the pencil.  I tried to reach through the crack with a different pencil, but the second pencil was too thick to get through the crack.  So I went looking for something long and thinner than a pencil that I could use to nudge the original pencil (and a food skewer fit the bill).  The food skewer could move the original pencil, but the crack was still too narrow for the original pencil to come back through.  So I slowly opened the lid and found the position where the crack is wide enough for the pencil to roll back out (with the cajoling of the food skewer) and pencil rolled through easily. It seems that as the lid opens/closes, the width of the crack between the lid and the top of piano slightly changes.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 08:33:15 PM »
Yes, the gap widens in the middle of the lid close. Please be careful doing stuff like this; there is a rather large capacitor in there that could give you a heck of a shock (and a bunch of smaller ones too) if you touched it with a skewer. Always unplug and let the capacitors discharge before sticking anything in there.

Mark

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 02:53:56 AM »
Oh, that hadn't occured to me at all.   Hopefully I won't have another pencil get in there.  Thanks for the heads up.