Author Topic: Pedal confusion  (Read 1050 times)

Offline jcm2016

Pedal confusion
« on: April 04, 2023, 12:39:24 AM »
I'm confused on what my pedals are doing.

I've bought some registrations commercially.  I bring them up with the USB stick, and select the first button in registration memory.  The keyboard brings up the right stuff and all seems well.  But I've gone into the pedal Assignable settings, and it shows the center pedal as Sustain.  But the pedal is functioning as advancing the registration memory.

I then got out of the registration memory by pressing one of the style controls (the red light in registration memory unlit), and now the pedal Assignable setting shows the center pedal as Modulation +.  Pressing the middle pedal doesn't do anything until I press a registration memory.  Then the pedal Assignable settings on the screen changes the middle pedal to say Sustain.  If I press Regist Bank - or +, it goes to a different bank, and then pedal functions again as Modulation +, but the screen still says that it should be Sustain.

I can wrap my head around pressing a registration will change the settings, including pedals, but I don't understand why the screen still shows Sustain for the middle when that's not what it's doing.

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated!

Offline overover

Re: Pedal confusion
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 02:46:05 AM »
Hi jcm2016,

I suspect this is about your CVP-805. In principle, the other CVPs as well as PSR-S/SX models, Tyros models and Genos have a similar behavior with regard to the pedal settings.

It is important to know that the Registration Sequence function can only be activated or deactivated globally, i.e. not by Registrations. It is best to first read the relevant chapter in the CVP-805 Reference Manual, pages 35/36.

If the "Sequence" button in the Registration Sequence display is switched to ON, the pedals that are set there under "Pedal Control" (for "Regist -" and/or "Regist +") can only be used for this function (in ALL registrations!). I.e. this overrides the settings made in "Menu > Assignable > Pedal" for these pedals.

In order for the settings made in the Assignalbe display to apply to all three pedals, you must either switch the Registration Sequence function to OFF, or set "Regist -" and "Regist +" to OFF there. In the latter case you can control the Registration Sequence via one or two Assignable buttons. If you intend to use the Assignable button(s) to switch the Registration Memory number, assign "Regist +" or "Regist -" in "Menu > Assignable > Assignable".

Now let's assume you have turned OFF the Registration Sequence function. Then the pedal settings made via "Menu > Assignable > Pedal" apply. However, these settings can be changed by Registrations containing different Pedal settings. When using commercial registrations or generally registrations that you did not create yourself, many settings can be changed unintentionally. Ideally, a list of the settings used is included with commercial registrations (e.g. pedal settings, fingering, split points and much more).

The only way to be sure that the pedal settings cannot be changed by (unknown) Registrations is to use the FREEZE function ("Menu > RegistFreeze", see CVP-805 Reference Manual, page 37). Tick "Pedal" here and switch ON Registration Freeze to lock the current pedal settings for the current session.

By the way, it's best to make so-called "Setup Registrations" with your preferred settings. This allows you, for example, to quickly reset (e.g.) the pedal settings if they were unintentionally changed by registrations.

For the sake of completeness: In "Menu > Utility > Parameter Lock" you can permanently lock some parameters, e.g. Split Points or Fingering Type, but unfortunately NOT the Pedal settings. As described, these can only be locked in the FREEZE display.

P.S.
On the CVP-805, the Pedal settings (Center and Left) can also be changed depending on the Main Voice. In this context, please note the On/Off setting of the "Switch With Main Voice (Center & Left)" parameter in "Menu > Assignable > Pedal". When this is set to "On", the settings made in "Menu > Voice Edit > Pedal" for each Main Voice apply to the Center and Left Pedal, and the Pedal setting can be changed not only via Registrations but also in this case by OTS (!) or manually calling up another Main Voice. See also page 50 in the CVP-805 Reference Manual.

P.P.S.
Please also make sure that the latest Firmware version 1.08 is installed on your CVP-805. This version fixes, among other things, a problem with Pedal settings made by Registrations:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/firm_cvp-805.html

I hope my explanations will help you. If you have any further questions, just get in touch here again.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 03:03:58 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 08:47:09 AM »
Thank you hugely for all of this.  Some it made sense as I read, and some I will need to sit down at the instrument and try.   Again, very much appreciated. 

I used to have a PSR SX900 and traded it for the CVP805.  The OSR SX900 was my first foray into keyboards (meaning non acoustic pianos) and there's soooooo much to learn.    This board has been massively helpful.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 11:28:04 AM »
You are welcome, Jason! Thanks for your kind feedback. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)