Author Topic: Timing discrepancy in Audacity  (Read 1409 times)

Offline chesterkins

Timing discrepancy in Audacity
« on: February 16, 2023, 06:02:46 PM »
My bandmates and I are making some old songs using the Genos, drums bass and Rhythm guitar
I make a midi song at 125 bpm and close the channels for  drums bass and rhythm guitar and record it into Audacity
Then the guys add their tracks
The only issue is the timing of the click track inside Audacity set at 125 bpm does NOT match up with Genos track  ( set at 125 bpm)
Seems to start of well but then varies
This causes issues mainly for the drummer
Any ideas folks???

Offline pjd

Re: Timing discrepancy in Audacity
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 11:16:30 PM »
Yep.

Clocks must be explicitly synchronized with each other. Two independent clocks will always drift out of sync.

Put less formally, Audacity's idea of 125BPM not guaranteed to be the same as Genos' idea of 125BPM.

One of Audacity or Genos must be the master central clock (i.e., one timing reference to rule them all).

Hope this helps -- pj

The following users thanked this post: chesterkins

To piggyback on this, I have a similar problem going from recording a WAV on Genos and then importing it to Logic Pro X. The BPM is wildly different, and variable, according to Logic’s automated analysis. For example, 85 BPM on Genos ended up being 120 BPM on Mac Logic Pro.

How can I more closely know that the Genos BPM will match that of Logic? Or is this a “feature” involving humanistic variation of tempo?