Author Topic: Transferring files from Mac problem  (Read 957 times)

Johngenoslost

Transferring files from Mac problem
« on: February 16, 2023, 09:21:29 AM »
Hi,
Every time I copy files from my Mac to a Genos formatted flash drive, I get, for every file, a second file starting with ._xxx. Is there anyway you can avoid these unusable files to be created on the USB stick?

Offline Bill

Re: Transferring files from Mac problem
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 09:48:46 AM »
Hi John

What you are referring to are the many Metadata files that the Mac creates so that files can be located quicker in the Finder search feature.  You can tell the Mac not to index certain drives like USB, but I was never really happy with it.  Apple wil say that these files are extremely small however when using FAT32, there is 4K allocated for every file. This can effectively half your available drive space. Also when the USB stick is connected to the KB each of the files will confuse the keyboard search.

What I now use is a program called Blue Harvest, it is quite cheap and will automatically remove all these Metadata files for you.

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20036/blueharvest

Free Trial

https://zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/

Or you can purchase it from the Mac App Store.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 02:00:02 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Divemaster

Re: Transferring files from Mac problem
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 11:50:59 AM »
An easy solution.

4 years ago I bought a pretty beaten up older Windows 10pc laptop from a business receivership auction.

It's a Dell Latitude E6230 with an i7 processor, Windows 10 pro and 16Gb of RAM.  Fast and powerful enough.

I do pretty well all my keyboard files on this little beauty. It's never failed me.
I do have a bigger, more powerful desktop pc. but this little laptop is just perfect for my musical needs.

You can pick these things up for a song. I paid £30 for this one (about 36$US)

Saves all the vagaries of Apple who seem to delight in making everything more difficult just because they can.. :) :)

Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari