Author Topic: Genos & Tyros Magic  (Read 4351 times)

Offline terryB

Genos & Tyros Magic
« on: February 15, 2023, 01:21:23 PM »
Here's a new method of sound settings storage https://www.genosmagic.com/instant-registration-library
Just bought a copy to play with on my Genos

Cheers Terry

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline Graham UK

Re: Genos & Tyros Magic
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 02:43:11 PM »
I have a similar setting for voices on the DGX 670 which are saved as RGT's with style unticked, so voices can be played with any style selected.

Video states these are not saved as RGT's so, QUESTION is how are these voices saved ?.
DGX670

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 03:12:08 PM »
Apparently they are choosen in the Song window ?
I would be interested in more detailed information about these setting storage.
I will try to read the information on the website.

Regards

If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline Duffy

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 03:45:55 PM »
It seems they are midi files with no midi song so, when you load them, it just sets up the sounds.
I cannot really see the advantage of  this over just using registrations and one touch sounds.

Offline terryB

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 04:03:34 PM »
Yes you choose them in the song window in song B (Genos usual MIDI song file)
Select the file you have stored the instrument settings in. The files are then available for selection on the home page in the song window.
I haven't got to far with it yet, but I can see potential in saving favourite settings that can be punched in registration settings easily without the routine of going to one registration, copying then returning to another to save there. Also it will be easy to quickly try different sounds to see which one best suit the piece you are playing.

Cheers Terry

Offline terryB

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 04:07:23 PM »
I forgot to mention the 65 string settings which are supplied which sound very nice

Cheers Terry

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 04:09:15 PM »
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the info.
The voice combinations used in there list, do you know if that are existing voice combinations from the preset Genos styles ?
Or have they created new voice combinations ?

Regards
Etienne
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline terryB

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 04:16:40 PM »
Not sure Etienne, but I think they must be Genos voices (maybe altered ?) If they where new voices wouldn't they have to be entered via expansion manager ?  :-\
Cheers Terry

Offline Bill

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 04:33:02 PM »
They seem to set as ensemble sets using the GENOS sounds.

An interesting feature though. If were something different to String sounds I would be tempted to try them.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 04:37:53 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 04:34:09 PM »
@Terry
I agree that it are Genos preset voices.
But if it is a string collection of existing OTS voices from the preset styles then it’s a bit too expensive.
It’s not easy for you to verify that, I will ask them on their website.
Thanks.

Regards
Etienne
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 04:36:00 PM by vlbrgt »
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline Bill

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 04:38:56 PM »
I think they are ENSEMBLE voices not the basic voice sets.

Bill
England

Offline DerekA

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 04:51:47 PM »
They are using a feature that MIDI files cam contain instructions to set up the panel voices. That's all these speciail MIDI files contain - no actual song data, just the voice setup.

I am not not sure if this includes the L voice. In standard registrations, the L voice is stored along with the Style information so my guess is that they are doing it this way to 'cleanly' set up just the voices without any impact at all on the style or system reverb / chorus effects.

It does mean that it can only be usng the inbuilt Genos voices, but a MIDI song can contain all the Voice Set parameters so they may have tweaked them a bit.

NB when they say 'Ensemble' I don't think they mean the 'Ensemble' voice feature that's available on Tyros/Genos - they are using the word in its more general way, meaning a blend of voices.
Genos

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 06:57:24 PM »
Hi
Why is it always old fashioned stuff that these registration makers keep pushing out.
The Rolling Stones are now old , so that makes the rest look ancient lol. ;D ::) :P ;D
We need more real guitars and sounds for the 60s and 70s generation.
I am fed up with Joe Loss, Bert kaempfort etc
Just my half pennies worth!! ;D

Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 12:25:17 PM »
Well John most of us like to use strings in one way or another. There certainly is nothing old fashioned about them. They are used all the time in film scores and Orchestras.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 06:15:56 PM »
I used to use "mini song files" to set up panel voices on Genos, because using the song channels you can play more voices simultaneously than the usual 3xRH and 1xLH voices, albeit with a lot more "fuss" and many tries at getting everything working right. John Beesley of Genos Magic has way more knowledge about how to communicate with the keyboard in special ways so maybe he is  now supplying a proper working version of the technique to provide richer sounds.

John

Offline Duffy

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2023, 06:48:46 PM »
Well John most of us like to use strings in one way or another. There certainly is nothing old fashioned about them. They are used all the time in film scores and Orchestras.

I fully agree with you Eileen.
Especially when hearing film scores.
There is nothing musical in the world to match the sound of a full orchestra's string section.
There are sounds for everybody and I feel so very lucky that I really enjoy everything from old Dance bands, Orchestras, Organs, to haunting solo instruments and even pop groups (some).
I would be bored to tears if I had to listen to one type of music only but fortunately, I am a happy man when immersed in my little musical world.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 10:51:41 PM »
I used to use "mini song files" to set up panel voices on Genos, because using the song channels you can play more voices simultaneously than the usual 3xRH and 1xLH voices, albeit with a lot more "fuss" and many tries at getting everything working right. John Beesley of Genos Magic has way more knowledge about how to communicate with the keyboard in special ways so maybe he is  now supplying a proper working version of the technique to provide richer soun

You're talking about the technique of running a cable from midi out back to midi in, which lets you put multiple song channels on the same midi channel and in effect layer them.

This package is just using a midi song as a way of setting up the 4 panel voices. It has the advantage over registrations when you just want to try sounds out over a backing you like, because there is no risk of selecting a registration which changes more than just the voices. But it cannot layer more than 3 right hand parts.
Genos

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2023, 07:53:52 AM »
OK Thanks Derek for clarifying,  ;)

John

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2023, 12:41:59 PM »
I too bought this string library from Genos Magic earlier this week so I thought I would add my half pennies worth too.  :)

The way John has blended together 2 or 3 of the many different string voices available on the Genos (including from the Legacy category) into 65 separate midi song files to create so many different settings for playing strings is excellent, in my opinion. There are 'general' string voices like Kino, Seattle, concert etc. combined together with or without harmony switched on, individual string instruments combined, other orchestral string combinations which include brass, woodwind etc.

Parameters have been appropriately tweaked, in short all the stuff which I would spend ages fiddling about with (excuse the pun! ;)) has been done for me.

Once the folder is opened up into Song B the files are easy to access and selected through the screen or the Song button and can be scrolled through by using the 'next' or 'previous' button in the song section of the panel. Once a file is selected it puts all the voices into R1, 2 or 3, (a Left voice is available and can be switched on if you want) so you can see all the info of the voices that are being used and this could then obviously could be saved into a registration button if you want. On the fly the files are like selecting an extra registration set up without affecting the style. 

Being able to easily create my own library of my favourite registrations without having the bother of finding them in various registration banks and navigating through the copy/paste/what to freeze etc. system has made me realise the even greater potential of this concept.

It does everything John says it does on his video, yep, I'm impressed!

Pam

The following users thanked this post: vlbrgt

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2023, 01:08:59 PM »
Hi Pam (keyplayer),

Thanks for this post. It was one of the questions I did asked john, but I have no answer yet.
It are not only the preset OTS voices from the preset styles, but it are new blends with new settings.
This answers one of my questions.

Another question was : playing one note with the right hand is playing the blend of the selected voices ?
It has nothing to do with the Ensemble voices feature available in the Genos ?

Last question was : what are the payment options if I would like to buy the library ?

Regards
Etienne

Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

The following users thanked this post: dragon

Offline terryB

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2023, 01:10:59 PM »
 :) Yes me to Pam. I must set up my choice set of voices using the included template for testing which voice to se in registrations or OTS settings  8)

Cheers Terry

Offline terryB

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2023, 01:16:23 PM »
Hi Etienne I paid by Payal

Cheers Terry

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2023, 01:17:37 PM »
Thanks Terry
Regards
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2023, 03:07:21 PM »
Hi Etienne,

I can't speak for where John's starting point was for these combinations, I've no idea, but altogether they are much more than OTS and Ensemble - in my opinion anyway. And the concept for ease of access is very user friendly, again in my opinion.

The settings are just like a registration so R1 and R2 are always layered anyway if they're selected. From the files I've played around with this week none of the R3 voices has a separate split point, so yes so far I've found all voices are layered together. I don't know if Terry has come across any separate R3 split points? Playing with one finger brings in the harmony of those files marked with (H). You could also turn on the harmony when using those files that don't have it turned on if you want. 

I have met John on a couple of occasions at the Yamaha Club weekend in the UK and have bought other products from him so I was happy to pay by credit card. I chose the download option and it was available straight away. It all comes in a zipped folder and includes very comprehensive instructions for everything.

Hope that helps Etienne.

Pam

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, vlbrgt

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2023, 03:49:55 PM »
Does anybody know if this is available for the SX series? I've sent an email, but no response.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2023, 04:27:39 PM »
Hi Pam (keyplayer),

Thank you very much for this helpful information.

Regards
Etienne
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2023, 04:49:23 PM »
:) Yes me to Pam. I must set up my choice set of voices using the included template for testing which voice to se in registrations or OTS settings  8)

Cheers Terry

that's something I hadn't thought of - using them in OTS. Thanks Terry

Pam

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2023, 10:57:29 PM »
It seems they are midi files with no midi song so, when you load them, it just sets up the sounds.
I cannot really see the advantage of  this over just using registrations and one touch sounds.
The huge advantage is then these 'song registrations' can be used across any keyboard. Yamaha used to utilize this themselves with their Repertoire Finder app, now discontinued. Looks like someone else ran with it.

It means people could create 'registrations' on any keyboard and share it with any other.

Mark

Offline terryB

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2023, 08:35:32 AM »
Hi Mark I should point out that only the voice settings are saved in the song settings, so not a complete registration  8)

Cheers Terry

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2023, 09:58:31 AM »
The huge advantage is then these 'song registrations' can be used across any keyboard. Yamaha used to utilize this themselves with their Repertoire Finder app, now discontinued. Looks like someone else ran with it.

It means people could create 'registrations' on any keyboard and share it with any other.

Mark

Hi Mark, as Terry says these are voice combination registrations, not song registrations, they don't store a style.
The huge advantage for me is that now when I'm setting up a bank of several registrations I can call up this 'string library' or any of my own libraries I've now set up in the 'song' area and save any number of the combinations to registration buttons in the bank I'm creating at that time, without having to fiddle about with saving that bank whilst I go searching for another registration within a different bank. Very convenient.
And yes you could set up whole banks of registrations from them if you wanted. This string library uses the preset voices on the Genos, including legacy voices, so I don't know if they would load correctly into another keyboard? Some of my own 'libraries' include voices from my own edited voices folders.
They're also very convenient to be able to use as an additional registration(s) on the fly. I still haven;t tried putting them into an OTS setting, but I'm guessing you could.

Pam

Offline Bill

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2023, 12:59:05 PM »
Hi All

I’m still a little confused.

Why is it that a so called Magical Hidden Template feature costs £40 - £50.
I can carry out the same actions by having any number of Registrations which are simply Voices (ie No Styles) I can even save the LH voice by using a dummy style. I think I can understand the logic of having dummy MIDI files, although I have not tried it, but why does it cost so much.

Hope someone can shed some light.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:27:52 PM by Bill »
England

Offline DerekA

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2023, 02:42:42 PM »
You are paying for the skill that has gone into selecting, tweaking and blending the voices within each setup.

The actual way they are delivered - via song rather than registration - doesn't really affect the cost at all.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: Bill

Offline terryB

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2023, 04:08:47 PM »
As Derek has said, the 65 string voice set ups are the main cost in time. The template to create your own midi song settings is a creation I have no idea how you would be able to set up, but introduces a new useful method of choosing voice parts from the home screen without leaving the the registration or style you are creating. In order to create these song midi set ups you must create registrations in the first place from which to create them, which is what I am doing at the moment ie. the best voice set ups I can find for various genre. Once I have these in place I can add these to the song file I already have.

The big advantage over using registrations is that by setting uop in the song window I can choose voices on the home screen almost as easily as choosing an OTS.

Cheers Terry

The following users thanked this post: Bill

Offline Bill

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2023, 05:15:01 PM »
1: The template to create your own midi song settings is a creation I have no idea how you would be able to set up, but introduces a new useful method of choosing voice parts from the home screen without leaving the the registration or style you are creating.
2: In order to create these song midi set ups you must create registrations in the first place from which to create them, which is what I am doing at the moment ie. the best voice set ups I can find for various genre. Once I have these in place I can add these to the song file I already have.

The big advantage over using registrations is that by setting uop in the song window I can choose voices on the home screen almost as easily as choosing an OTS.

Cheers Terry

Many thanks Terry.  Useful info. Let me know how it all pans out when you finish creating your own sets.

I would spend the money, however I very rarely use String Voices in my setups.

Regards

Bill
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 05:19:20 PM by Bill »
England