Author Topic: The "BEST" Yamaha Forum that Exists  (Read 2396 times)

Offline cthiggin

The "BEST" Yamaha Forum that Exists
« on: February 10, 2023, 09:29:59 PM »
Hello members,
I am trying to get back to this site daily.
I joined 5 years ago when I purchased a Tyros 5 from Mike Mixon, Keyboard America. The weekly tutorias and on-line tutorials were great as I had played a Hammond 105, so, this digital arranger
was the best bet. (Musically, the best decision I have made to date)
I thoroughly have enjoyed the Tyros up until about 3 years ago when some illness hit, and today I have Small Fiber Neuropathy - the numbness and burning legs, feet, hands, and other
associated side-effects have made it so difficult to play, so, 'it's been Idle almost 3.5 years - Until Now!
Well, . At 75, some of the tricks I have forgotten. Of course, my fingers are numb down to the first joint and burn like the dickens.
SO, even if I can only play "Mary had a Little Lamb", it's an accomplishment. If I don't give it a go, and hope muscle memory will come back, then when it's time to go I will not have to say
"woulda, coulda, shoulda because I have given it my best.

The jest of this post is not to give TMI, but to THANK all of the Administrators and workers behind the scenes, all the top performers, and all the members. It's such a blessing to me!

If any of you kind folks have any information about other folks playing with the numb fingers and have tips, I would be most appreciative.

Blessings to ALL, and good to be back!

Tom

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 10:01:50 PM by Roger Brenizer »

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: The "BEST" Yamaha Forum that Exists
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 10:08:02 PM »
Hi Tom,

Welcome back to the forum and thank you for the kudos. I will pray that your healing continues through the process of music therapy.

Since you are already familiar with our forum, the remainder of this is basically just a refresher course for you.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there. The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

https://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so. You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend, Peter (XeeniX) and maintained by another good friend, Runner4Fun, which presently contains 108,813 song titles in 2,833 indexed books. This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the website’s resources, which can be found at the following link:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family. If you have any questions, then please just ask. Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

madirv

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 09:14:40 AM »
Hello Tom,
What a lovely (but sad) story.  Just wanted to offer my sympathies---I have no medical knowledge to offer---(not much keyboard knowledge either ;D ;D )but I do sympathise as my husband has been a really good golfer all his life but developed polymyalgia 5 years ago and gave up golf about 18 months ago.  On a positive note the PMR seems to be finally clearing up and hes started again.  Hopefully the same will happen to you.  I think its probably important to just keep going and do the best you can.
After all there are a lot of people in the world who cant play Mary Had A Little Lamb.  ;D ;D ;D ;D 
Keep going and all good wishes.
Kind regards
Irene

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 10:54:40 AM »
Welcome back to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Tom!

Many thanks for your kind words. I wish you all the best in terms of health and lots of fun and enjoyment with music and your Tyros5.

Best regards from Germany,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:57:13 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: cthiggin

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 03:45:23 PM »
Keep playing! We are several people on this forum with different health issues and handicaps. Remember, most people cannot play an instrument. You have a gift that many envy. Not all can be great artists, but we can all have a good time making our music. Guess I have to learn Mary Had A Little Lamb now. We do not have that song in Norway😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Duffy

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 05:57:04 PM »
Hi Tom,
Sorry to hear about your struggles due to health.  A lot of us on here have similar stories.
I have a couple of major problems but, up until now, they are not affecting my keyboard skills.
Keyboard wise, my main problem is arthritis in the fingers which means I cannot play as I once did.
My doctor assures me that, by doing my best to play keyboard, I am also keeping my fingers more supple than they would otherwise be.
Although some days can be a bit trying, I wanted to tell you that once I sit at my keyboard and start playing my old age and ailments disappear in my head
and it's truly the only time that I could fool myself into thinking that I am still a youngish man and entertaining a crowd in a good old sing along pub as I once did.
The music's stronger than the pain so enjoy every minute and every tune you knock out makes you a success story all over again.
Very best wishes mate.
Tony

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 08:53:52 PM »
Hello Tom :

You really deserve great respect.👏
Thank you very much for coming back ... and enjoy your passion.

Best wishes, JH

Offline cthiggin

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 02:04:28 AM »
Hello Tom,
What a lovely (but sad) story.  Just wanted to offer my sympathies---I have no medical knowledge to offer---(not much keyboard knowledge either ;D ;D )but I do sympathise as my husband has been a really good golfer all his life but developed polymyalgia 5 years ago and gave up golf about 18 months ago.  On a positive note the PMR seems to be finally clearing up and hes started again.  Hopefully the same will happen to you.  I think its probably important to just keep going and do the best you can.
After all there are a lot of people in the world who cant play Mary Had A Little Lamb.  ;D ;D ;D ;D 
Keep going and all good wishes.
Kind regards
Irene

Irene, thank you for such a kind response. My condition is not curable, and very hard to manage, but I have a great Neurologist at a very large university that's very up on this type of neuropathy. I have started using LLLT (Low Laser Light Treatment) to try and show this beast down and get some nerve function back. It seems to be helping some. Slow but sure.  I am go glad your husband is doing better and getting back to what he loves. - I've always heard that "Hurting people - hurt people" and it's true. When you're having a bad day, I keep this forefront and very careful to continue to be kind. I am very blessed though! Thanks again and Blessings for your post. Tom

Offline cthiggin

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 02:07:32 AM »
Hi Tom,

Welcome back to the forum and thank you for the kudos. I will pray that your healing continues through the process of music therapy.

Since you are already familiar with our forum, the remainder of this is basically just a refresher course for you.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there. The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

https://psrtutorial.com/

Roger,
Thank you so much for your kind remarks and posting the links to get me updated. I appreciate you and this forum so much. It is good to be back. Just reading the posts and listening to some fine music is just great. I had almost forgotten what I had been missing..........and yes, being here is truly comforting. Blessings Friend!

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so. You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend, Peter (XeeniX) and maintained by another good friend, Runner4Fun, which presently contains 108,813 song titles in 2,833 indexed books. This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the website’s resources, which can be found at the following link:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family. If you have any questions, then please just ask. Many of our members are always very willing to help you.

Offline cthiggin

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 02:12:27 AM »
Keep playing! We are several people on this forum with different health issues and handicaps. Remember, most people cannot play an instrument. You have a gift that many envy. Not all can be great artists, but we can all have a good time making our music. Guess I have to learn Mary Had A Little Lamb now. We do not have that song in Norway😀

Hi Torel,
For many years I would read all of your posts and if I remember ???? you had to take a taxi in order to go to "lessons" or to "teach" students, but I do remember thinking about your dedication in doing this.
Yes, it's very good to be back. My spirits have already been lifted. I am not a negative person at all, but sometimes health issues can challenge your "Life Force". All in all, I am truly blessed. I had some many friends over the years that did not have the opportunity to be 75 years of age.  Thanks so much and Blessings!

Offline cthiggin

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 02:22:50 AM »
Hi Tom,
Sorry to hear about your struggles due to health.  A lot of us on here have similar stories.
I have a couple of major problems but, up until now, they are not affecting my keyboard skills.
Keyboard wise, my main problem is arthritis in the fingers which means I cannot play as I once did.
My doctor assures me that, by doing my best to play keyboard, I am also keeping my fingers more supple than they would otherwise be.
Although some days can be a bit trying, I wanted to tell you that once I sit at my keyboard and start playing my old age and ailments disappear in my head
and it's truly the only time that I could fool myself into thinking that I am still a youngish man and entertaining a crowd in a good old sing along pub as I once did.
The music's stronger than the pain so enjoy every minute and every tune you knock out makes you a success story all over again.
Very best wishes mate.
Tony

Tony, thanks so much for your kind reply.
You are right about getting "lost" in our music. For the past three years I have had a premium account at YouTube Music and have about 2000 songs/videos saved. I take my iPad in the evening with earbuds and get lost in the music......and yes, it's calming.
FYI - One of the great guitar players, Les Paul, who is deceased now, stopped playing in his 90's. His arthritis was so bad in his hands that before he would play or record, he had a machine with warm sand that had two hand openings. He would put his hands in and the machine would slowly move the sand over and over his hands, while heat was increased. I had use of one of these machines at therapy when I had a thumb rebuilt. It was wonderful. I have seen them on Amazon for about 1300.00 USD. If you would like to see a great video, just search Les Paul playing Blue Moon. You can see how bad his hands are, but at 90, he knocks it out of the park.
In summary, I am very blessed as I know it could always be much worse. I just "miss" Tom and having my life back.  Blessings to you friend...........

Edit 2023-02-14 by overover: Incorrect quote exchanged for the correct one this answer from Tom refers to.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 07:13:09 AM by overover »

Offline cthiggin

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2023, 02:27:31 AM »
Hello Tom :

You really deserve great respect.👏
Thank you very much for coming back ... and enjoy your passion.

Best wishes, JH

Thank you so much Jeff,
I guess I have my Dad's genes. He was in WWII as a gunner at the Battle of the Bulge and really had "true grit" his entire life. As a little boy, I saw him leave to go to work and you could see he was so weak he could hardly stand, but away he went..........I'm don't have that type of grit, but I have always believed that regardless of the situation, "Never Give Up". Yes, I am going to do my best to start playing again, and Roger sure brought me up with the "links" I needed to again get around on the forum.
Again, I highly appreciate you wonderful and kind thoughts. Blessings, Tom

madirv

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 07:35:46 PM »
Hello again Tom,
Ive only just caught up with this post and noted your kind response to my post.  I told husband I had responded to a post on here and he had heard of your condition and said it was nasty.  So well done you on being positive and coming back to your music.
I know exactly what you mean about "Hurting people---hurt people".  I have been blessed with good health all my life, which I have always taken for granted as I have known nothing else,  but am now beginning to appreciate what I have as I see my contemporaries falling apart a bit. But I can tell you this----on the rare occasions when I am ill, or under par,  I am absolutely VILE, I hate everybody and I turn into a monster!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;
So every credit to you for realising this and doing your best to remain nice.
My Dad told me when I was a kid that if you have your health you have everything----and he was right.
All good wishes to you
Irene