Author Topic: PSR-SX900 Playlist  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Duurduur

PSR-SX900 Playlist
« on: February 08, 2023, 03:22:01 PM »
Why can I put the playlist of S975 and Tyros5 on the User drive, without an USB drive, and the PSR-SX900 Playlist only on USB? Probably because the PSR-SX900 Playlist is not an mfd file. Does anyone have a solution for that?
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline Fred Smith

Re: PSR-SX900 Playlist
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 10:53:24 PM »
Why can I put the playlist of S975 and Tyros5 on the User drive, without an USB drive, and the PSR-SX900 Playlist only on USB? Probably because the PSR-SX900 Playlist is not an mfd file. Does anyone have a solution for that?

It has nothing to do with old mfd files.

Playlists can go anywhere, and they will still work. Just a give it a try. Copy your playlist to the User drive, delete it from your USB drive, and you will find it works perfectly.

The issue is moving files that the Playlist refers to (ie, registration files). They have to stay where they are for the Playlist to find them. Which, in your case, is likely on the USB stick. So you haven't gained much by moving just the Playlist.  (But it did solve the problem you specifically posted about.)

If what you really want to do is move both the Playlist AND the registrations, then you will have to update your Playlist to tell it where you moved the registrations to. The Playlist won't figure this out by itself.  Fortunately, Playlists are simple TSV files, and can be modified by spreadsheet programs like Excel or Google Sheets.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 11:14:23 PM »
Thank you for your reply, but I can't get past that. When I open the TSV file I see that a drive letter is used that refers to the location of the rgt file. For example, it is I:/PSR-SX900 Playlist/Ballroom/Amapola.rgt. Works fine from USB but copied via the playlist button and copy from USB to User Driver only if the USB stick is present. Perhaps the drive letter in the TSV file needs to be changed and if so which letter should it be.
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 02:53:54 AM »
Thank you for your reply, but I can't get past that. When I open the TSV file I see that a drive letter is used that refers to the location of the rgt file. For example, it is I:/PSR-SX900 Playlist/Ballroom/Amapola.rgt. Works fine from USB but copied via the playlist button and copy from USB to User Driver only if the USB stick is present. Perhaps the drive letter in the TSV file needs to be changed and if so which letter should it be.

Hi Duurduur,

I:/ is the first connected USB stick (shown as "USB1" on the keyboard), J:/ would be the second connected stick ("USB2") and K:/ the third connected stick ("USB3").

C:/ is the internal User drive. However, in User drive there is a fixed main folder structure specified by the operating system:

USER/
      ►EXPANSION/
      ►MULTI PAD/
      ►PLAYLIST/
      ►REGIST/
      ►SONG/
      ►STYLE/
      ►SYSTEM/
      ►TEXT/
      ►VOICE/

These main folders are not visible directly on the keyboard.

If you copy a Registration Bank file (.rgt) or a folder containing .rgt files to the User drive (in the Registration Bank File Selection display), the folder/files will automatically go into the hidden system folder "REGIST".

So if you copy the "PSR-SX900 Playlist" folder from the USB stick to the User drive (as I said, in the Registration Bank File Selection display, otherwise the .rgt files contained would not be copied!), this folder has the path "C:/REGIST/PSR-SX900 Playlist/".

In order for the Playlist to work later without a connected USB stick, you would have to replace the character string "I:/" with "C:/REGIST/" in the file paths of the linked .rgt files in the relevant .tsv Playlist files.

Example:
I:/PSR-SX900 Playlist/Ballroom/Amapola.rgt

has to be modified to

C:/REGIST/PSR-SX900 Playlist/Ballroom/Amapola.rgt

You then copy the modified .tsv Playlist files to the SX900 User drive (in the PLAYLIST File Selection display). You can also rename the .tsv files at any time or copy/move them to any subfolder in the User drive. It is only important that the folder with the .rgt files is not moved or renamed after you have edited the file paths in the .tsv files as described.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 03:07:08 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 03:52:10 PM »
This is the answer I was hoping for. I will try it one of these days and will inform you if it works.

Regards, Ruud
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 08:59:28 PM »
I was curious if this would be the solution and I started right away. And yes, it works. Thanks again about. I had already figured out that it should be a different drive letter, but not that REGIST should also be added.
What I find strange is that I also find all song registrations in the Registration Area. But under the Playlist button there are probably only references to the registrations.

Regards, Ruud
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 11:44:40 PM »
You need to convert your music finder files to playlist file for it to work as playlist.

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 12:10:43 AM »
Yes, but how to do it?
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 12:47:27 AM »
Hi Duurduur,

Please see page 91 in the SX900 Reference Manual ("Importing Music Finder Records to the Playlist").

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Online DrakeM

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 11:42:54 AM »
This is the one thing I dread about purchasing my next keyboard SX …whatever.

I am going to have to put 2 copies of the registrations on my USB stick to do the same thing the MF does.

One folder with all the registrations by Alphabet
Second folder with the registrations by Gig Number (22 of them so far and counting)

I currently use Registrations for controlling the Vocal Harmonizer and I have over 30 different ones that I use.

I am going to have to Manually tie each Style to each specific VH setup and I have over 400 custom song styles that I rotate through each year. 

I just wish Yamaha would put the MF back on the keyboard. They never think about the performer who actually uses the Arranger as a solo singer. It's an after thought to them.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 11:44:40 AM by DrakeM »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 01:02:03 PM »
This is the one thing I dread about purchasing my next keyboard SX …whatever.

I am going to have to put 2 copies of the registrations on my USB stick to do the same thing the MF does.

One folder with all the registrations by Alphabet
Second folder with the registrations by Gig Number (22 of them so far and counting)

I currently use Registrations for controlling the Vocal Harmonizer and I have over 30 different ones that I use.

I am going to have to Manually tie each Style to each specific VH setup and I have over 400 custom song styles that I rotate through each year. 

I just wish Yamaha would put the MF back on the keyboard. They never think about the performer who actually uses the Arranger as a solo singer. It's an after thought to them.

Don’t know what this has to do with the Playlist, but it’s not that bad, Drake.

My setup is exactly the same as yours. Alphabetized registration folder, and individual folder for each gig where I’ve copied in the regs I want to play.

Sounds like all you have to do is ensure your VH regs don’t have the style group memorized. Then you can use them with any style.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons