Author Topic: Re: SX700 Stuck in "EXECUTING" mode when saving Registration??  (Read 1647 times)

Offline dlepera

Re: SX700 Stuck in "EXECUTING" mode when saving Registration??
« on: February 08, 2023, 04:33:49 AM »
I have just updated an existing Registration, made changes to it, and when I selected SAVE, SAVE HERE the keyboard went into "Executing" state and got stuck in this mode.  Exit did react so the only other option for me was to turn off the keyboard.

I then proceeded to repeat my changes and save, this time things worked well.  I have noticed the executing mode status from time to time and assumed that this was just indicative of the USER storage being read and that should be fine I think.  I was saving to the user memory btw where I have used 764mb out of my 1gb of keyboard storage.  I do see this also when saving to the same file name on a USB(which is a backup of the USER registration folder).

Note ...that I have 29 pages of regt files in one folder and have stopped adding to the folder now.  Could the size of the folder be the issue? I kind of recall from previous posts that there is a limitation of entries per folder?

Regards,  dom
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 04:44:17 AM by dlepera »
Life is a learning experience and sharing it is it's biggest reward!

Offline overover

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 05:18:38 AM »
Hi Dom,

There can be many reasons if saving a file takes longer than usual or is not possible at all. For example, it could be a defective/corrupt file, or a file name may be too long or contain invalid characters. In your case, it should not be due to exceeding the maximum number of files:

On page 34 in the SX900/700 Owner's Manual there is a note "The maximum number of files/folders which can be stored in a folder is 2500."

However, for the sake of clarity, I recommend only working with a maximum of 100 files per folder. In any case, 29 pages (each with 10 files) per folder would be far too much for me. You can create subfolders at any time if you want.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master, dlepera

Offline dlepera

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 05:27:31 AM »
Chris thanks for the quick response.  In my case the file name was simple "Quore Mato".  However I will take your advice and reduce the number of files in this folder.

The question I have now, is related to questions that I and others have had in the past about moving registration related files around on a USB.  Something about root paths.  I don't want split and find out that after the split the styles, voices and pads paths/locations are no longer found.

I do have three usbs plugged in at all times for backup of backup so I guess I can take one of them and try it out.  Your response will save me time if there is no issue in moving these around.

Appreciate you feedback as always.      Regards.   dom
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 05:29:09 AM by dlepera »

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 08:25:35 AM »
Chris thanks for the quick response.  In my case the file name was simple "Quore Mato".  However I will take your advice and reduce the number of files in this folder.

The question I have now, is related to questions that I and others have had in the past about moving registration related files around on a USB.  Something about root paths.  I don't want split and find out that after the split the styles, voices and pads paths/locations are no longer found.

I do have three usbs plugged in at all times for backup of backup so I guess I can take one of them and try it out.  Your response will save me time if there is no issue in moving these around.

Appreciate you feedback as always.      Regards.   dom

You can move a registration anywhere, and it will still work.

It’s moving files that registrations refer to (eg, user styles) that causes problems.

Cheers,
Frdd
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline dlepera

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 04:11:51 PM »
Hi Fred and thanks for the clarification.  All the best!        dom

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 05:29:13 PM »
Hi Dom,

I do NOT recommend leaving multiple USB sticks plugged into the keyboard all the time. This may be the reason for the problem described. The keyboard checks all connected storage media with every file operation, and with so many USB sticks / files it can happen that the keyboard "chokes", e.g. it takes a relatively long time for a file operation to be completed.

I generally recommend only working with a maximum of one connected USB stick. It's also easiest if you don't work with the internal User drive at all, but directly with the USB stick. You can simply back up the contents of USB sticks on the PC or copy them to other sticks and thus always have working backups. On the other hand, if you store everything in the internal User drive and then make backups of it on USB sticks, registrations in which external files (e.g. user styles) are linked will NOT work from the USB stick if the linked files are deleted in the user drive for some reason , moved or renamed. This is because the absolute file path (drive letter/folder/subfolder/filename) is always saved in registrations.

In addition, an additional main folder specified by the system is used in the internal User drive for each file type. This must also be taken into account if you want to edit registrations with linked external files copied from the User drive to a USB so that they work directly from the USB stick.

Example:
You have created a style folder "My Styles" in the User drive, in which the style "Test.sty" is located. If you link this style in a reg, the path "C:/STYLE/My Styles/Test.sty" will be saved in that reg. If you now copy the "My Styles" folder and the relevant Registration Bank file to a USB stick, the file path in the Reg file would have be changed to "I:/My Styles/Test.sty". In addition, it must then be ensured that this stick is connected first, i.e. it is recognized as "USB 1".

The second stick connected (USB 2) would be "J:/" and the third stick (USB 3) would be "K:/". Basically you can use the PC program "Yamaha Registration Manager" (YRM), developed by our forum member Murray Best, to make such path changes in reg files (also in Batch mode for many reg files at once), but for most users this "file path issue" just described is quite confusing. Therefore, as I said, I recommend managing all of your own files on the USB stick and only use ONE connected stick when working with Registrations.

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 05:33:01 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master, mhack

Offline dlepera

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 04:56:59 PM »
Hello Chris.. just getting to this post today and appreciate the detailed explanation and advise which you always provide.

I do not put any styles on the USER storage only packs and Regts for obvious storage capacity reasons. From previous advice on this subject I no longer move things around on my drives.

It is understood though that Regts in USER will not work on their own unless I have the related USB(s) plugged in.  As mentioned previously each USB is a clone of the other and yes I do save anything in triplicate to the sticks and the extra regit file(s) to USER.  Crazy, for some yes it is. However now that you mentioned the word "Choke" I guess I can use the one USB  and simply clone it from time to time depending on the frequency of updates to other backup USBs.  I do add to new folders on the USBs as I acquire new data files(styles, midis, voices and pads) and using 64g USBs. Your point is well taking.  Thanks you

Best Regards,   dom

Offline dlepera

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 04:42:45 AM »
Folks,

Just FYI... after following the recommendations and keeping only one USB plugged in at a time, The problem persisted and actually got worse to a point that my keyboard got stuck in executing mode for over 20 minutes.

Decided to shut it down, pulled the USB out, put it into my computer and copy it to new USB just to see if there was something on it that could be causing the problem. Did not bother at that time to actually do a scan&repair.

Well the copy of the entire USB would be 6.23gb of data. As the copy proceeded, the copy was going rather slower than it should, but I let it go to see if it completes. Note that I have two other clones and my attempt to test a complete copy of them to new USBs worked quickly and clean all with 6.23gb of data.

After about 2.3 hours and at 90% data copy, a window pops up saying that a file was invalid. File was 16bea*~1.psr, where * was actual a square character(I don't know how the laptop can even allow me to key that strange square box looking character).  The popup window allowed me to skip the file copy which I did and 2 more 16bea*~2.psr 16bea*~3.psr needed to be skipped. My copy completed and the target USB now had 6.19gb worth of data of course that is understandable now.

Well this got me to go and do a scan & repair on the USB.  Before that I was able to list the source with no issues other than it was slower than it should have been to present me with list view. I was still able to view the contents of folders.  However since I could not do a mass search for the file, I ran the repair.

Well long story short.  The USB was faulty. Since then I have been running on one of my Cloned Backup USB and my issue is gone. This failing USB is one of 4 amazon specials and have scraped them ALL sticking with my SANDISK USBs.

Hope this helps anyone that may be experiencing a similar USB symptom.

Regards,    dom

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2023, 08:21:57 AM »
Really interesting to read this post, as I also have the SX700.
Quite often when downloading new files, it's really noticeable when copying them to a usb stick how slow it can be, compared to also copying them to my backup 2Tb external hard drive. That flies, really fast. All my SX stuff is backed up in this way.
I use SanDisk Cruzer blade 16gb sticks. Never have issues with those, but a 64Gb Verbatim one is always very picky with some SX files.
Useful learning post though, so thanks.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 08:25:23 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner