Author Topic: New Yamaha Montage  (Read 8535 times)

Offline Benis67

New Yamaha Montage
« on: February 06, 2023, 09:28:08 AM »
There are rumors confirmed by several sources that the announcement of a new Montage is imminent, 7 years after its marketing: a suffix will be used for the name similar to what was done with MOTIF (the possibilities are the Classic +, Plus , ES, XS, XF,..).
For obvious reasons it is not known what the new features will be and therefore it is possible to make only hypotheses.
The first thing that will interest you is whether there will be a parallel firmware update to the current Montage (compatibly with the differences) or if, on the contrary, the latest version will remain 3.51, perhaps updated for some bugfixes or small changes.
Regarding the news, it is possible to make only hypotheses.
The first possibility is the inclusion of the AN-X synthesis engine whose trademark was recently registered (June 2022). As repeatedly said, to date it is not known whether the current SWF70 chips present in Montage are able to generate sounds with different synthesis from AWM2 and FM-X, and the eventuality of the AN-X synthesis generated by a new chip , would cut out the current Montage.
The second possibility is that a path similar to that followed with MOTIF is followed: a maintenance of the synthesis, perhaps with small changes, and an increase in polyphony (AWM2 128->256 and/or Flash memory dedicated to user/presets multisamples). In this case, without upsetting anything, Yamaha could follow the path followed with the Genos arrangers, where the second SWP70 chip (slave) which in the Montage does not have Flash, could have 4 GigaBytes of flash dedicated to User samples and/or new multisamples presets (see for example the excellent Bosendorfer already available as an additional library). We will see.

Re: New Yamaha Montage
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 05:58:26 AM »
That is good to hear. Yes Since the Montage is been out for a while now it is time for a new model to replace it. I guess Montage ES

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 11:32:43 PM »
I think a Analog synth instead of a FM synth is a better choice.  Maybe the new Montage will have both.  They retired the old AN and DX plug-in cards but Yamaha is very good at recycling it's technology.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline TLN41

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 05:47:11 AM »

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 09:46:23 PM »
I watched the Video And it was very Interesting. And seeing that yamaha filed a trademark that means Something is Coming.  ;D

Offline Stubby

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 02:42:22 AM »
TLN41, I agree.  Thanks for posting.  His insights are reasonable and make sense to me, at least.

Offline TLN41

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 11:27:25 PM »
Well absolutely NOTHING at NAMM on any replacement Montage. Most retailers are out of stock.

MODX was also out of stock right before the MODX plus was introduced.

Montage was introduced in January 2016 for NAMM. MODX August 2018. MODX plus August 2022. Genos August 2017. Last firmware update for Montage was 2/2021.

So maybe August 2023 for new Montage then Genos 2 2024?

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 01:29:02 PM »
Ask yourself... Would I play better with a new keyboard, being it Genos 2, Montage+ or whatever?

Definitely I know the answer in my case: is a big and bold NOT

So... Keep on enjoying and playing what you have!

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Offline TLN41

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 06:51:22 PM »
My issue may be unique - i want to get into writing music for my own enjoyment as a hobby - work/life balance. I have not had a keyboard since high school. I am willing to spend $3500 for the best tool/best sound. Just learning how to use it would be fun for me. I have Ableton but would really like a great keyboard with great sounds I can customize.

I like the workflow of the Fantom, but the sound in the Yamaha is night and day better. The MODX+ workflow is mostly unchanged from the MODX from what I can tell, so my plan is to make a purchase decision when the next Montage is released. Purchasing a Montage now, if I could find one, makes no sense. I was hoping to use the summer to dive in, but it seems I am in limbo waiting for Yamaha, or I settle for the MODX+ and hope I don't regret not waiting for all the extra bells and whistles in the new Montage.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2023, 09:18:11 AM »
Hi

I would say in my view go for a Genos or wait until this november.
Arrangers such as the Genos are great for ideas.
I think a new Genos is coming then.
Once you get your idea then use VST instruments to make a great song.
I am now 72  so i am not going to be a rock star anytime soon and my vision now is to write ideas on the Genos and then use a combination of Genos and VST or even for better quality transfer to vst tracks (Instruments) via midi.
Just a thought or my pennies worth
I also thought of these synths such as Montage etc , but they are in depth machines with small screens.
It is a lot easier working on a computer for fine detail.

Al the best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 01:53:28 PM »
hi TLN41,
I'm not sure if there's a question, or are you sharing your thoughts... Still, here's my view on this:

.. i want to get into writing music for my own enjoyment as a hobby - work/life balance...
It really is important into what kind of music genre you're interested. Because, in my opinion, that can be important factor on deciding what type of keyboard you need: synthesizer or arranger.
I would say that synthesizer is a voice oriented machine and arranger is more a rhythm/accompaniment instrument. For example, if you wish to create a country song (or any rhythm based music actually), then this can be done much easier and faster on an arranger. That's my opinion, but I never owned a synthesizer, so I might be wrong.

By assuming that you're maybe considering arranger keyboard...
With $3500 you're a bit short, but I agree with John: if you can squeeze few more $, get current Genos. There are rumors that new Genos might come to market in late autumn this year.. yes, will probably be better (of course) -but will also cost a lot more than current Genos.
Second (my first actually) option would be PSR-SX900 (for about $2000), which you can later sell easier and with less loss -in case you realize you made a mistake by deciding for an arranger keyboard.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: kevin.dsouza

Offline TLN41

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2023, 03:52:29 PM »
Thanks John and Bogdan,

I have always had an interest in electronic/EDM type of music (slow relaxing instrumental to dance). I am not interested in performing/singing. Maybe do some cool instrumentals/enhancements of existing songs or remixes.

My thought is I would develop each track in a DAW, using the keyboard to perform/create each part separately - drums, strings, brass, piano, pad, create other cool sounds, etc. It would not be a performance all at once from the keyboard. I also have some physical challenges now - can't play at full speed, so I will use the DAW to adjust to the desired BPM while I play slower.

That is why I believe synth is the way to go vs Genos, plus Genos is almost double the Montage. And the Montage is almost double the MODX+. We will see if a new Montage will be worth the wait for me.

Offline pjd

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2023, 07:13:28 PM »
Just in case you're Rip Van Winkle: https://www.yamahasynth.com/learn/montage/montage-sayonara

Next model in the MONTAGE lineage is due October 2023. That's an official date, not speculative B.S.   :)

Yamaha are definitely in product line update mode!

-- pj

Wrote a short retrospective: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/montage-thank-you-for-playing/

The following users thanked this post: p$manK32, kevin.dsouza

Offline TLN41

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2023, 10:06:09 PM »
And the new Montage in October 2023 likely means no Genos replacement until 2024 at the earliest.

The following users thanked this post: kevin.dsouza

Offline ton37

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2023, 07:56:08 AM »
It looks that Yamaha after 7 years of the release informs his customers that a model is discontinued (see Montage). So we will indeed read in octobre 2024 that Yamaha has discontinued the Genos, as the Genos was launched in oct. 2017 !? Great that they inform their customers so quickly ...  ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 07:57:59 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2023, 08:22:59 AM »
...Great that they inform their customers so quickly ...  ;)
I think it's usual practice that "discontinued" is announced after production ends and existing stock is sold out -otherwise there's a big chance that people would stop buying existing old product.
In this (Genos) case, it's also expected that successor would be announced... which obviously doesn't exist. In short, there's nothing to announce.

Bogdan

Offline ton37

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2023, 08:56:57 AM »
Not quite agree with you, Bogdan. There are enough examples in the economic market that companies people announce well in advance that a new model is coming (cars, mobile phones, TVs, etc., etc.). If Yamaha still had such a huge stock of 'old' Genossen, then they did something wrong. What is more obvious is that there is still a limited stock. Then it is also very common to sell those 'old' models at much lower prices. You don't have to be ashamed of a Genos if you buy it while a new one is in the pipeline, right? So..it doesn't feel very 'customer friendly' to say the least...but I think we know that??
My best regards,
Ton

Offline mikf

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2023, 09:55:27 AM »
My reading of the Yamaha announcement was that the decision to discontinue may not have been really planned, or even entirely voluntary. They seem to have accepted it has reached the end of the line in potential future development, and was already in short supply due to current component supply issues, mainly chips. So maybe they found themselves a bit cornered, and the decision kind of made itself. Particularly since they seemed to have almost no stock available. It’s even quite possible that they knew the announcement may drive a sales surge as people try to grab the last available, almost a collectors item. It was a very highly regarded keyboard in the market.
Mike

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2023, 10:39:02 AM »
hi Ton,
We can only speculate what Yamaha thinks, of course. I was in market/sale department before retirement and I think we can't compare cars or TV's with TOTL/midrange keyboards. The thing is, these products are targeting totally different consumers and also have totally different business & marketing approach.
In case of cars, TV's, smartphones, etc. competition is huge and everyone needs these products. And that's why we can see that i.e. some car is announced 2-3 years in advance -manufacturers wish to get customers on hook (and keep them on hook).
In case of keyboards, there's almost no competition and not that many really need this product -hence, there isn't much market pressure. That is, those who are interested, will just buy (or not) what's currently available -and not much is available.

Of course there's no shame to buy a discontinued model... But just hypothetical: what if Yamaha announced Genos is discontinued and there is no Genos successor? Many would think twice before buying it -they would look after more future safe solution (Korg maybe?).

I'm not necessary right in my way of thinking.. I'm just sharing my thoughts  :)

Bogdan

Offline pjd

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2023, 06:56:51 PM »
If Yamaha still had such a huge stock of 'old' Genossen, then they did something wrong.

Yamaha itself may not be sitting on inventory. Yamaha dealers, however, have not sold through. That's why Yamaha dropped the USA Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) and on-line USA dealers are advertising a reduced price.

No business likes to make its distribution channels angry... :-)

My reading of the Yamaha announcement was that the decision to discontinue may not have been really planned, or even entirely voluntary.

I think Blake Angelos (Yamaha) was trying to soften the blow with his language. (Blake is a very decent chap.] It's an American thing -- put the negative message between two slices of tasty bread. :-)

One of the main chips in the Montage, SSP2, has been superceded by the SSP3. Further, synth folk have been clamoring for Virtual Analog (VA) synthesis. I don't believe the current SWP70 tone generator is capable of VA nor would anyone want to control VA using the Montage front panel controls such as they are.

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/where-to-put-an-x/

Of course there's no shame to buy a discontinued model...

I've been asking myself this question while contemplating the Yamaha P-515 digital piano. It was released in September 2018. If I bought one now, it would still be a darned fine piano that fits my needs. I think a T5 is still a darned fine keyboard, too. :-)

If anything, Yamaha's announcement has encouraged me to put off the P-515 until I see the new Monty 88 (or whatever) in October.

All the best -- pj

Offline ton37

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2023, 07:23:43 PM »
Yeah, sincerely thank you for sharing your thoughts here. My reactions are indeed nothing more than figments of thought. I detect in me some impatience to have a new toy. In addition to primarily playing music, this also appears to be an attractive side of playing the keyboard for me. And I'm a bit impatient, the years fly by. Initially I thought Yamaha could supply that to me. It has done it in the form of the Genos and now the SX900 . Because an upgrade of the Genos is taking longer than hoped, I am shifting my attention to other possibilities: a world without a new Genos does really exist  ;) That could be the Korg and/or together with VST via DAWs. Can of course be fun together with the SX900. Enough to hold onto my 'learniness or curiosity'. So the long wait has at least given me time to explore 'other musical horizons', without putting the energy into exploring a new model in the short term. So every disadvantage has its advantage, a famous football player once said ;-))
My best regards,
Ton

Offline hans1966

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2023, 03:39:22 PM »
I hope the new MONTAGE will be as light weight as MODX

just my thoughts ;)

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline pjd

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2023, 05:25:13 PM »
The YamahaSynth.com site has published a sneak peek of the new Montage M:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/news/new-yamaha-synthesizer-sneak-peak

Check out the Montage M "subdisplay" above its knobs and sliders. Yamaha took this idea from Genos (gen 1) and fed it steroids. I hope GENOS2 gets this new display!

The sneak peek page also has a few Soundcloud demos. The Organ demo is getting people's hopes up for YC technology.

Have fun going over the pictures with a magnifying glass.  :)

-- pj

The following users thanked this post: soundphase, Stubby, kevin.dsouza

Offline pjd

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2023, 05:29:32 PM »
Here's a picture of the new Montage M subdisplay for those too lazy to go to YamahaSynth.com.  :D

That's what you call a premium look worth $5K USD!  ;)

-- pj

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2023, 07:03:41 PM »
Perhaps they’ll make the whole user interface on the larger screen easier to use, but I doubt it. I had no issues with the main 8-16 part Performance home screen layout, but diving down deeper into element level sound editing wasn’t working for me, very unfriendly, more for sound engineers than musicians.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline steakikan

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2023, 05:46:46 PM »
Hmmm, the new touch screen interface does seems to say "New Synth Engine"

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2023, 08:08:42 PM »
Hmmm, the new touch screen interface does seems to say "New Synth Engine"

What photo are you looking at? The photos I’m looking at don’t indicate a new interface yet, other than some new waveform icons I had not seen before. But yeah it will most likely have the new analog synth engine.
SX900, MODX7+

Offline steakikan

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2023, 03:28:23 AM »
What photo are you looking at? The photos I’m looking at don’t indicate a new interface yet, other than some new waveform icons I had not seen before. But yeah it will most likely have the new analog synth engine.
The same one, cause the way it is designed is totally different from the old Montage including how they show the routing which hopefully seems to be flexible.

Offline TLN41

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2023, 09:17:00 PM »

Offline TLN41

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2023, 03:41:00 PM »
Details from a The Music Store in Tulsa:

The MONTAGE M starts with the sound.

The 5.67 Gb of preset waveform memory on the original MONTAGE has been increased to 9.97 Gb.  The 1.75 Gb of internal user memory has been increased to 3.8 Gb.  This massive memory allows for deeply detailed samples creating impressive new sounds!
    The MONTAGE M is the next generation with THREE sound engines included.  The AWM2 engine has been refined even further ton provide high definition emulative sounds like piano, strings, and drums.
    The AWM2 and FM-X are now complimented with a NEW AN-X sound engine that re-creates the sound and behavior of an analog synthesizer.  This engine provides the warm, Classic sound and behavior of an analog synthesizer.
    The polyphony of these three engines has been increased to 400 notes (128 AWM2 preset, 128 AWM2 user, 128 FM-X, and 16 AN-X)!
    The MONTAGE M is rounded out with an upgraded pure analog circuit that reduces noise and improves the dynamic range, crosstalk, low-frequency phase, and distortion rate, resulting in clearer sound at all volumes.  The sound has more detailed low-mids and presence than the previous circuit.

The MONTAGE M improves with new control capabilities.

The MONTAGE M8X (88-key model) features a NEW GEX action with Polyphonic Aftertouch.  The GEX action provides enhanced key repetition behavior that is typically found on grand pianos.
    The MONTAGE M8X action is elevated with the use of Polyphonic Aftertouch, which was a control feature that was offered in the legendary Yamaha CS-80 and DX-1 synthesizers.  It allows players to individually modulate held notes with additional pressure.
    The MONTAGE M adds new performance controls with a five segment ribbon controller, a new keyboard HOLD button for sustaining chords while using knobs to edit, and a Portamento on/off button and dedicated time knob.   These features all make the MONTAGE M even better when performing live.

Features by Model

Introducing MONTAGE M, the next-generation flagship synthesizer from Yamaha. Realize amazing sound with three engines that recreate warm vintage analog synths, cutting-edge FM synths, and ultra-realistic instruments. The Motion Control engine enhances these capabilities, adding a unique fourth dimension of control to your music making. Unlike traditional hardware synthesizers, MONTAGE M seamlessly bridges stage and studio with deep computer connectivity and integration. Designed to meet the needs of synthesists, keyboardists and pianists, MONTAGE M introduces a new era of sound, control and workflow in music creation.

All Model Features:

AWM2, FM-X, and AN-X sound engines
    128 element AWM2 architecture for higher definition sound
    Pure Analog Circuit 2 for clear harmonic reproduction and even frequency response         
    7” TFT Full color wide VGA LCD touch display screen with streamlined workflow
    512 x 64 pixel LCD quick edit display screen
    Super knob (or assigned expression pedal) allows the control of eight real-time parameters with one motion
    9.97 Gb of internal waveform memory
    400 note total polyphony with 128 notes for AWM2 presets, 128 notes for AWM2 user memory, 128 notes for FM-X, and 16 notes for AN-X
    3.8 Gb of internal flash memory for custom samples or synth library downloads
    Virtual Circuitry Modeling (VCM) recreates the sound and behavior of vintage effects and signal processors
    Send 32-channels and receive 6-channels of audio and send 16-channels of MIDI through a single USB cable
    “Live Set” allows for easy organization and access of most used performance voices
    “Seamless Sound Switching” allows changing performances instantly without any cut-off in envelopes and effects
    Modeless operation ensures all modifications to performance voices can be made quick and easy
    8 faders and rotary encoders allow deep real-time control editing
    Integrated 16-track sequencer and performance recorder
    Full metal chassis with IEC power supply

MONTAGE M6

61 full-sized touch sensitive synth action keys
    Non-leaded Fast Spring (FSX) key action for lightweight feel with the exacting amount of resistance
    Channel aftertouch allows control over held notes

https://www.musicstoreinc.com/p-3339-yamaha-montage-m6-montage-series-synthesizer-keyboard-61-key-fsx-action-black.aspx

Offline hans1966

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2023, 05:45:12 PM »
Page not found!

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline steakikan

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2023, 06:25:44 PM »

Offline pjd

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2023, 07:04:42 PM »
Some of the details don't add up for me. I'm waiting for the official specs and the manuals. I always look at the list of waveforms first to see what is actually new (on the AWM2-side).

All the best -- pj

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2023, 09:06:30 PM »
Some of the details don't add up for me. I'm waiting for the official specs and the manuals. I always look at the list of waveforms first to see what is actually new (on the AWM2-side).

Agree, the first thing I would check out is the presets list. I know that's less technical than looking at the waveforms list, but it still will paint a good picture of what's new.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline TLN41

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2023, 12:24:33 AM »
Sorry the link I posted no longer works. My guess is they had their hands slapped by Yamaha as nothing is supposed to be released until Tuesday. But they also had the keyboards in stock ready to ship.

The text I posted is what they had on their site - consider it as is.

The Tech Talk I posted on Tuesday 4 pm Eastern should be the intro to the Montage M by Blake. And we should know a lot more Tuesday morning.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 12:27:58 AM by TLN41 »

Offline TLN41

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2023, 12:32:01 AM »

Offline TLN41

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2023, 07:46:40 PM »
Translated from Hispasonic.com: https://www.hispasonic.com/noticias/yamaha-montage-m-plugin-gratis-sintesis-an-x-novedades/47416

The Expanded Softsynth Plugin (E.S.P.) brings the Montage synthesizer to DAW environments. It is an 'in the box' version that allows you to edit and use sounds with all the enormous facilities that this type of intimate hardware/software integration opens. Everyone can choose at any time which environment to use. It will arrive in January 2024, at no additional cost to Montage M users.

with Montage M, it is supported to designate the desired channel in each of the 16 parts. In addition to being able to apply the parts for both internal and external control, and in the latter case with the option to configure several MIDI parameters with which to adjust those external equipment conveniently or even make areas in keyboard and speed, transposition, etc. with them.

All activity on the keyboard itself can be represented on a single MIDI channel even if there are several sounds combined, and use from the internal keyboard can be extended to all 16 parts. Logically the SSS (Seamless Sound Switching) is still between 8-part performances. There are also still 8 simultaneous arpeggios to choose from among the 10922 predefined. Again 8 the total of 'scenes' immediately claimable within each performance.

Yamaha integrates as a third sound generation system the new AN-X. Based on analog subtractive synthesis modeling, it is a new hard addition and as such adds its polyphony without consuming voices from the other strategies (AWM2 and FM-X). Specifically, 16 voices become available, a figure that surely speaks for the good of the quality of that modeling. For many sounds that recall the analog both AWM2 and FM-X are perfectly enough, but when you want some particularly characteristic and 'difficult' sound of the analog world, AN-X will now be the place to look. Also for those who are intimidated by the huge amount of parameters and elements in AWM2 and FM-X, and who will now enjoy creating sounds from a more Classic architecture.

The sample 'ROM' reaches 10GB for preset sounds (several new pianos within it, of course) and it is possible to use it to play up to 128 voices. But in addition another 128 voices are available autonomously using the also grown Flash, which amounts to 3.7 GB. It is a total of up to 256 AWM2 voices as long as 'preset' and 'user' samples are combined. A call to load that Flash with the various libraries that already exist and that will take advantage of the folded memory available now.

Add the 128 voices of polyphony in FM-X parts and the 16 AN-X voices and the total reaches 400, a round number, but above all abysmal and that guarantees not to fall short before dense arrangements with very complex sounds.

Other numbers also grow: factory performances go to 3369 using the 7620 multisamples available. It hosts up to 640 user performances, plus 10240 performances in up to 16 libraries loaded simultaneously.

Offline pjd

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2023, 04:49:20 AM »
Unbelievable! My site is getting hammered.

The Montage M documentation is up on Yamaha sites. Blake’s take is live, too.

I know my point of view and interest is narrow, but lots of pianos. I hope Yamaha follow suit with G2.

I think the drawbar organ is still AWM2-based. However! Montage M does have a new rotary speaker effect block, probably ported from Stage YC. Hope G2 gets the new rotary effect type, too.

Off to bed with visions of sugerplums dancing in my head. :)

— pj

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2023, 07:14:00 AM »
I hope the new Genos allows knobs to be assigned to whatever parameter you want, and not just the current limited set of choices.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline SciNote

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2023, 07:41:07 AM »
I have two questions here...

1. I'm looking at the photo of the new Montage posted above, and I don't see anything that looks like presets, or the equivalent of registrations.  I'm sure it's got them, but how do you access them?

2.  With this sentence from the above text, concerning the polyphony, "...and the total reaches 400, a round number, but above all abysmal and that guarantees not to fall short..." -- What are they trying to say here, with the word "abysmal"?  Doesn't "abysmal" mean "very bad"?  But as they're talking about 400 notes of polyphony, it doesn't otherwise sound like they're disappointed with the specs of this keyboard.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline GoodOldJacob

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2023, 08:39:27 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdX5Ec7i7XY

Sweetwater has a new video about the Montage M8x!

Offline steakikan

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2023, 10:37:11 AM »
The new oscilloscope display is pretty cool, but if E.S.P can be purchased I probably just do that than upgrading. Wondering if they improve the MIDI resolution compared to the old Montage, as some performance stepping can be heard on the old Montage. The weight is still unbearable though @ 28KG for the 8 and @ 15kg for the 6.

Offline pjd

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2023, 10:25:13 PM »

1. I'm looking at the photo of the new Montage posted above, and I don't see anything that looks like presets, or the equivalent of registrations.  I'm sure it's got them, but how do you access them?

Montage/MODX (all generations) do not have front panel buttons for registrations.

There are two levels of "storage:" Performance and Live Set. A Performance is a multi-part voice, i.e., piano, wind ensemble, whatever. A Performance holds A LOT of stuff including things you might find in a PSR/Genos registration.

A Live Set consists of one or more pages. Each page holds a matrix (e.g., 4x4) of on-screen touch buttons. A Live Set button remembers a Performance and some other fun stuff like the name of an audio file to play, etc.

A player can explore Performances through the CATEGORY button using a screen similar to the voice search feature on Genos/PSR. This is too clunky for live play. That's what Live Sets are for.

When I play and want to change to a new Performance, I touch one of the Live Set buttons. It brings up the desired Performance. It's easy to create and customize Live Sets. I have a Live Set for church and a Live Set for rock/soul, for example.

Hope this short explanation helps -- pj
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 10:27:33 PM by pjd »

Offline pjd

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2023, 10:32:40 PM »

2.  With this sentence from the above text, concerning the polyphony, "...and the total reaches 400, a round number, but above all abysmal and that guarantees not to fall short..." -- What are they trying to say here, with the word "abysmal"?  Doesn't "abysmal" mean "very bad"?  But as they're talking about 400 notes of polyphony, it doesn't otherwise sound like they're disappointed with the specs of this keyboard.

This was auto-translated from Spanish. Beats me...  :)

The actual polyphony spec is: AWM2: 256 (max.; stereo/mono waveforms), FM-X: 128 (max.), AN-X: 16 (max.)

Montage M splits the 256 AWM2 polyphony into factory presets (128) and user voices/waveforms (128) -- similar to Genos. Probably done for low-level technical reasons.

-- pj

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-montage-m8x-initial-take/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 10:42:55 PM by pjd »

Offline pjd

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2023, 10:40:19 PM »
The new oscilloscope display is pretty cool, but if E.S.P can be purchased I probably just do that than upgrading.

E.S.P. won't be available until sometime 2024 and the initial version will only do voice editing. [Source: Yamaha press release] E.S.P. polyphony will be disappointing when compared with hardware. The hardware tone generator does A LOT of work.

Wondering if they improve the MIDI resolution compared to the old Montage, as some performance stepping can be heard on the old Montage.

The MIDI implementation chart in the Montage M Data List PDF is not very encouraging on this matter. Much of the MIDI implementation is "to be announced." Plus, the analog-to-digital converters (ADC) within the embedded processors are probably still 10- to 12-bit resolution.

The weight is still unbearable though @ 28KG for the 8 and @ 15kg for the 6.

An M8x player doesn't need a cart; they need a forklift.  ;D

All the best -- pj

Offline steakikan

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2023, 07:58:36 AM »
E.S.P. won't be available until sometime 2024 and the initial version will only do voice editing. [Source: Yamaha press release] E.S.P. polyphony will be disappointing when compared with hardware. The hardware tone generator does A LOT of work.

The MIDI implementation chart in the Montage M Data List PDF is not very encouraging on this matter. Much of the MIDI implementation is "to be announced." Plus, the analog-to-digital converters (ADC) within the embedded processors are probably still 10- to 12-bit resolution.

An M8x player doesn't need a cart; they need a forklift.  ;D

All the best -- pj

Recalling the time when I have to bring my own Montage and SX together during a church service, fun time 8)
I do like ModX size and weight, hopefully there is a plan for ModMX. Can't wait for your exploration on the MontageM sound generator especially on AN-X.

If any consolation, I do wish the 128 elements of AWM could at least be ported to Montage so CFX doesn't consume 4 parts.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 08:01:15 AM by steakikan »

Offline Bill

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2023, 09:35:48 AM »
https://youtu.be/oP427ZJLiUo?si=JAUtaz5xseZsJCGP

Interesting to see that the Polyphonic Aftertouch is only available on the M8X.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline overover

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2023, 09:02:38 PM »

Interesting to see that the Polyphonic Aftertouch is only available on the M8X.

Bill

The reason why Montage M6/7 don't have Polyphonic Aftertouch (AT) is because the FSX keyboard (which is also used on Genos and Tyros5) can only send Monophonic AT. The GEX keyboard of the Montage M8x, on the other hand, is Polyphonic AT capable.

According to the data list, Montage M6/7 can receive Polyphonic AT (just like Genos and Tyros5). So you “just” have to connect a suitable, external MIDI keyboard to use Polyphonic AT.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)