Author Topic: E373 or E413?  (Read 2055 times)

Mel Keane

E373 or E413?
« on: February 06, 2023, 04:17:40 AM »
Hi Everyone
Thank you for accepting me!  My 13year old son is begging me to start keyboard lessons. I have an option of purchasing a secondhand E373 or E413 and I don’t know the difference or which one is best?
Background: my son has 5 years Saxophone playing and is quite accomplished, he writes his own saxophone music in his spare time. He also has 2 years bass guitar experience, so he can read treble and bass sheet music.
He now wants to learn keyboard too. Mostly because he wants to experiment with writing his own music. He has a modern computer and wants to be able to send recordings from the keyboard to his computer and add bass and saxophone parts etc.
I would love to hear from anyone who can advise which if either of these two models would be suitable?  Any differences between them.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks Mel

Offline BogdanH

Re: E373 or E413?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 10:54:52 AM »
Between these two, I personally would choose E373 (E373 was released in 2020, while E413 was released in 2008). From what I can see in specifications, E373 is overall better: more styles (accompaniments), more voices (instruments), etc.
The only thing E373 doesn't have, but E413 does, is pitch bend wheel (knob on left side of keybed) -I personally don't use it much, though.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

Offline SciNote

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 11:08:10 AM »
This is kind of a tough choice.  First of all, we'll assume that the ~15 year old PSR-E413 that you are considering is completely functional.  Beyond that, there are some similarities, and some differences.  And many are really based on personal preference, based on how the keyboard will be used.  Now, keep in mind that I am basing what I am posting here on data from Yamaha's website for the E373, and a Google search for specs on the E413, as I have no direct experience with either keyboard, except for playing the E373 briefly in a music store.

You mentioned recording.  The edge here would go to the E413, as it has a built-in 5 track sequencer, with a sixth track available for backing drums or style accompaniment.  The E373 only has a two track recorder.  This means you can "lay down tracks" and record more complex multi-tracked compositions on the E413 without using an external digital audio workstation (DAW).  But of course, if you use a DAW on a computer, combined with an audio interface that converts the headphone audio sound into USB digital data for your computer, then you can do as much multi-track recording as you want, with any keyboard, directly on the computer -- with the complexity of the recording only limited by the capabilities of the computer.  But it can be helpful to at least start recordings directly on the keyboard, and having more recording capability on the keyboard, which the E413 has, can be helpful.

The next thing to consider is registrations -- these are user-assignable presets that store most of the settings of the keyboard, such as any sounds you've set up, any changes to those sounds (such as reverb, chorus, or effects), and split and layering of the sounds on the keyboard, and any style selected.  These registrations allow you to quickly change the sound and characteristics of the keyboard while you're a playing a song, allowing you to easily change sounds when going from, say, a verse to a chorus, or a chorus to a bridge, for example, and are most helpful during playing songs "live", as opposed to recording songs.  Honestly, both of these keyboards are lacking in this department.  The E413 has 16 registrations -- eight banks of just 2 registrations each.  This means that, while playing a song, you can have a bank selected and easily go back and forth between two registrations with a push of one button -- but that does not allow much flexibility.  If you want to access any of the other registrations during the song, you have to select another bank first, then select one of the two registrations of the new bank -- requiring multiple button-presses, which could be cumbersome during live playing of a song.

The E373 has only 9 registrations, and you access them by hitting a "Registration" button, then pressing the numbers 1 through 9 on the numeric keypad.  I am not sure if you have to hit the "Registration" button each time you want to change a registration, or if you can just hit it once, and just use the numeric buttons for the registrations from that point on, and only need to hit the "Registration" button again if you use the numeric buttons for something else in the mean time, such as style select or voice select.  Perhaps someone with an E373 could weigh in here.  But in any case, 9 registrations is still not a whole lot if a person starts learning a variety of songs and wants to easily change between a wide selection of sounds (such as rock sounds, Classical sounds, orchestral sounds, jazz sounds, etc.) while playing.

Next, there is sound customization.  Both keyboards have specific strong and weak points here.  The E413 has a mini-synthesizer function on board, where you can take any sound and alter the filter and envelope (attack and release) settings, like on an analog synthesizer, and come up with cool new sounds.  You can then save these sounds in a registration.  Also note that some of these functions can be assigned to knobs that are on the left side of the E413, which allows the player to alter the sound during a live performance -- again, in a similar manner to how this can be done on an analog synthesizer.  Assigning the filter to the knobs, in particular, can give the player a wide range of sound effects and control while playing.  The E373 does not have such features, but instead, it offers a full set of digital effects, like phase shifter, Leslie-type rotary speaker, and a few dozen other effects, which are also great for customizing the sound, and again, these modifications can be saved to a registration.  Beyond the filter and envelope, the E413 can only add basic reverb and chorusing.

Beyond on-board recording, registrations, and sound customization, I would say that the E373 excels in most other areas, and of course, this would be expected as it is a much newer model.  It has more onboard sounds and registrations (though not dramatically more).  More polyphony (48 notes maximum versus 32 notes maximum).  And S.Art.Lite which allows for some "on-the-fly" expressive changes to certain sounds while playing (though it should be noted that the E373 does not have a pitch-bend wheel, which can be a drawback).  It can even output stereo digital audio -- presumably to a computer.

But here is a very important consideration for both keyboards:  Neither one has a USB-to-device port, as far as I know.  For sure, the E373 doesn't have it, as I do not see it on the pictures of the keyboard on Yamaha's website, and I'm pretty sure the E413 doesn't have it -- I don't think Yamaha started including it on the E-series keyboards until the PSR-E433, which came out in 2012, and even from that point on, only on the E400 series (E433 to the current E473).  A USB-to-device port allows you to simply put a thumb-drive/flash-drive into the port and easily back up and retrieve the data on the keyboard.  Without this port, the only way to save data is to hook up the keyboard to a computer.

Other than easily backing up data, a USB-to-device port also expands the capabilities for live playing.  For example, on the E433 (which I have), there are 32 registrations (8 banks of 4 registrations each) -- this is much better than what is on the E413 and E373, but still a little light.  If I wanted to have access to more registrations during a performance, I could have them on backup files on a flash-drive plugged into the keyboard and access them between songs (loading data from the flash-drive would not be possible during the middle of playing a song).  And no computer would be needed.

So, in conclusion, I would say...

Between the E413 and E373, for live playing and multi-track recording, the E413 has a slight edge.  As for sound customization, it's kind of a wash, with the E413 having the synthesizer type functions, and the E373 instead having the digital effects.  But the E373 is pretty much superior in most other respects, with things like number of sounds, number of styles, polyphony, and S.Art.Lite.

Again, remember that neither keyboard has the USB-to-device port, so you may also want to consider a newer PSR-E400 series keyboard -- a PSR-E433 or newer (E433, E443, E453, E463, or the latest model, the E473), if you can find one and it's in your budget.  Other than the USB-to-device port, you get 8 banks of 4 registrations with all of these models -- which is much better for live playing.  The E453 and E463 also add digital effects (though not as many as on the E373) so that you can get this feature along with the synthesizer type functions.  The E463 and E473 have sound sampling functions.  And the E473 also includes the S.Art.Lite function found on the E373, as well as a full complement of digital effects -- making the E473 pretty much the most versatile choice -- but of course, also the most expensive!

Sorry for the long post, but hope it helps!  Feel free to ask any questions.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 11:41:57 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 11:09:27 PM »
Hi Bob --

I just checked the PSR-E373 owner's manual and it shows a USB-to-HOST port. Please double check me cuz I could be in error -- not the first time.

If so, I would favor the E373 over the E413.

All the best -- pj
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 11:11:36 PM by pjd »

Offline SciNote

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 12:27:37 AM »
Hi Bob --

I just checked the PSR-E373 owner's manual and it shows a USB-to-HOST port. Please double check me cuz I could be in error -- not the first time.

If so, I would favor the E373 over the E413.

All the best -- pj

Right -- I believe that is the square port that allows the E373 to hook to a computer.  But I don't think it has the USB-to-device port, which is the regular rectangular USB port that allows you to plug a flash drive into it for back up.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 12:47:42 AM »
Hi Bob --

Thanks, you're right! I fixated on the "using with a computer aspect" not save/load with a USB flash drive.

I've gotta admit, having a USB flash drive would be convenient. The E373 backs up data through its Storage Mode feature. I wonder if the E373 responds to the old Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader application? Storage is limited to 1.4MB and that's pretty tight.

I still lean toward the E373 on the basis of sound (SArt lite, etc.), but one would have to accept its limitations...

Thanks, again -- pj
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 12:48:52 AM by pjd »

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 06:33:08 AM »
To My Knowlege it depends on what he wants to do if he likes to tweak sounds and bend notes hen the e413 is good if he just wamts to play then the e373 will work just fine. Overall Both will work fine whichever one is a good price.

Best Regards. Kevin

Offline JerCaz

• Yamaha Tyros 5 / 76, Korg Pa1000, Electone HX-1
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 10:27:11 AM »
Hi !
Since the opening date of this topic (early February), have you finally made your choice?
To begin with, English is not my mother tongue, please forgive me if I make some syntax errors ;)
I owned a PSR-E413 for some time 6 years ago. This "low-end" keyboard is good for a complete beginner, to make sure that playing the keyboard will interest him. It has some good quality sounds, well-made styles... The keys are normal size, which is nice when you want to switch to another model.
But if playing the arranger keyboard pleases your son, very quickly, he will feel cramped (same for the E373): the keyboard itself is "plastic", bordering on a toy (not in the sense critical, but compared to more efficient models).
If you have the opportunity to have a more elaborate model (not necessarily talking about the PSR-S600, S700 and S900), but at least a PSR-670, 770, 970, etc..., the musical game will be much more pleasant.
To sum up, the PSR-E413 (which I know better than the E373) is a good little "low-end" keyboard for beginners, and has the advantage of being really cheap (in France, around 100 to 130 euros ). But you quickly reach your limits when you want to evolve in the practice of the arranger keyboard.
Hoping to have helped you a little
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 10:29:05 AM by JerCaz »
Jérôme,
Yamaha Tyros 5/76
Electone HX-1

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2023, 02:37:34 PM »
To My Knowlege it depends on what he wants to do if he likes to tweak sounds and bend notes hen the e413 is good if he just wamts to play then the e373 will work just fine. Overall Both will work fine whichever one is a good price.

Best Regards. Kevin

And THAT is a very significant matter, and one that only your Son can decide.
Do LOADS of reading, checking and reviewing.
Does he want an Arranger or a Synth?
Will he buy something like the new E473 but find it's got a great range of sounds, but little in the way of arranger capability. And some of the E models are so toy like in feel.
Buying a keyboard isn't a one size fits all exercise.
Do your homework, and spend wisely is my advice.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline MusicalMaster7

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 10:19:22 AM »

Hi there!
 It's great that your son wants to explore music through the keyboard. Let me give you some information about the two models you mentioned, the E373 and the E413.

The Yamaha E373 is an entry-level keyboard that offers plenty of features for beginners. It has 61 velocity-sensitive keys, which means that the force with which you press a key affects the volume and expression of the sound. It also offers a variety of built-in sounds, backing rhythms and basic recording features. However, it doesn't have a USB interface for direct connection to a computer.

Personally, I found it on this page presenting the best keyboards of 2023 and I'm very happy with it - I have absolutely no regrets.

The Yamaha E413 is a slightly more advanced model. It also has 61 velocity-sensitive keys, but offers more sounds, rhythms and recording features than the E373. What's more, it has a USB interface for direct connection to a computer for recording and exchanging music data.

So it's important to consider your son's real needs when making this choice; for a deeper, more complex musical exploration I'd recommend the E413, while for a more simplistic approach I'd recommend the E373.

I hope you find this information useful and that your son has lots of fun exploring the keyboard and creating his own music! ;)