Author Topic: Distortion on "Whiter Bars" JS  (Read 881 times)

Offline Dupe

Distortion on "Whiter Bars" JS
« on: February 07, 2023, 07:55:11 PM »
I've noticed a distinctive distortion when selecting ORGAN / "Whiter Bars JS", the volume setting makes no difference. "Classic Bars Js" is clear.  The mixer settings between the two voices are set up the same. Has anybody else noticed? I'm playing an SX700

Offline overover

Re: Distortion on "Whiter Bars" JS
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 08:43:17 PM »
Hi Dupe,

I have just viewed the two Genos voice files "WhiterBars JS.T235.sar" and "ClassicBars JS.T235.sar" in the "Mixmaster" program:

In "WhiterBars JS" the insert effect type "V Distorion Classic Soft" is used, but "Stereo Amp Sim Clean" is used for "ClassicBars JS". This is probably similar with the SX700 versions of these voices. Probably this distortion effect is the reason that you have "noticed a distinctive distortion".

With these voices on the SX700 in "Mixer (Panel page) > Effect" or in "Voice Edit > Effect" you could see which effect is activated and change these settings if necessary or select another effect type.x

By the way, if you change the Effect settings of a Preset Voice (in Mixer or in Voice Edit), you can either save the edited Voice in "Voice Edit" as a User Voice or, alternatively, directly into a Registration (i.e. without creating a User Voice beforehand).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 08:51:09 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Dupe

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 09:04:08 PM »
Thanks for your prompt reply Chris, I'll take a look at the settings you have suggested. Just to add... If I pull back the modulation stick, the distortion is less noticeable! I've been practicing Procol Harlem's "Whiter Shade of Pale"  which I used to play many years back on a two-manual organ. The "Whiter Bars JS" is a good match.
Regards Dupe

Offline Dupe

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 10:18:31 AM »
@overover,

I've sorted this distortion issue regarding "Whiter Bars JS" Thanks to Chris for his suggestion, I opened the selected organ voice, edited it, and found a "soft distortion" setting.  The soft distortion percentage slider was way up at 81%, so I reduced it down to 4% which cleared the distorted sound. That style may have been exampled from the early days of Hammond Leslie sound cabinets when tubes or valves as we call them here. Anyway Many thanks to Chris for helping me out.
Problem solved.
Kind Regards Dupe

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 12:57:59 PM »
@overover,

I've sorted this distortion issue regarding "Whiter Bars JS" Thanks to Chris for his suggestion, I opened the selected organ voice, edited it, and found a "soft distortion" setting.  The soft distortion percentage slider was way up at 81%, so I reduced it down to 4% which cleared the distorted sound. That style may have been exampled from the early days of Hammond Leslie sound cabinets when tubes or valves as we call them here. Anyway Many thanks to Chris for helping me out.
Problem solved.
Kind Regards Dupe

Thanks for you kind and detailed feedback, Dupe!

I'm glad to could help you. :)

Best regards
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)