Author Topic: Audio Interface + Cubasis?  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

Audio Interface + Cubasis?
« on: March 01, 2023, 07:32:17 PM »
Has anyone successfully used Cubasis 3 with an audio interface and a Genos?

I’ve been trying to do this today, and I can’t seem to get audio from the Genos into Cubasis 3. I am getting MIDI through just fine.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline overover

Re: Audio Interface + Cubasis?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 07:43:35 PM »
Hi Michael,

Are you using Cubasis on an iPad/iPhone or an Android mobile device?

With which audio interface have you tried it so far and how (with which cable/adapter) did you connect it to the device on which the Cubasis app is installed?

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 10:57:56 PM »
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd gen; iPad Pro; Apple camera connector.

I have the S/PDIF output of the Gen0s hooked up to the S/PDIF input of the 8i6.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 11:22:17 PM »
I have the 8i6 connected to the Genos with MIDI cables. I have the digital audio output of the Genos connected to the 8i6 via an S/PDIF cable.

I have the USB connector of the 8i6 interface connected to the iPad Pro's Lightning port via an Apple Camera Connector.

I am getting MIDI back and forth between the iPad Pro and the Genos. But I do not seem to be receiving digital audio from the Genos via the 8i6 on the iPad Pro.

Thanks for the quick response, Chris.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 11:24:16 PM by Michael Trigoboff »

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 01:41:50 AM »
I have the 8i6 connected to the Genos with MIDI cables. I have the digital audio output of the Genos connected to the 8i6 via an S/PDIF cable.

I have the USB connector of the 8i6 interface connected to the iPad Pro's Lightning port via an Apple Camera Connector.

I am getting MIDI back and forth between the iPad Pro and the Genos. But I do not seem to be receiving digital audio from the Genos via the 8i6 on the iPad Pro.

What's the Digital Out Level set to on the Genos?
Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 04:13:16 AM »
What's the Digital Out Level set to on the Genos?

+6 dB

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 08:16:14 AM »

Hi Michael,

thanks for the details! This is exactly the type of connection that I would also recommend.

First of all, it is important that the 8i6 has been updated to the current Firmware version:
>>> https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360021869499-How-can-I-check-my-Focusrite-interface-has-the-latest-firmware-using-Focusrite-Control -

Please also check in the Focusrite Control app on the computer (Windows or Mac) whether all hardware ports of the 8i6 are configured as desired. (The Focusrite Control app for iOS is only a remote control for the Focusrite Control Windows/Mac app and will not detect any Focusrite devices connected directly to iOS.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 10:17:25 PM »
First of all, it is important that the 8i6 has been updated to the current Firmware version:
>>> https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360021869499-How-can-I-check-my-Focusrite-interface-has-the-latest-firmware-using-Focusrite-Control -

Please also check in the Focusrite Control app on the computer (Windows or Mac) whether all hardware ports of the 8i6 are configured as desired. (The Focusrite Control app for iOS is only a remote control for the Focusrite Control Windows/Mac app and will not detect any Focusrite devices connected directly to iOS.)

I just ran the Focusrite Control app, and it does not say that the 8i6 firmware needs to be updated. According to the link you posted, this is how to check.

The way that the 8i6 is configured works perfectly with Cubase Pro 12 on my PC. But digital audio does not seem to be getting from the Genos’ S/PDIF digital audio output via the 8i6 to Cubasis 3 on my iPad Pro.

A mystery…

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 10:38:55 PM »
I just ran the Focusrite Control app, and it does not say that the 8i6 firmware needs to be updated. According to the link you posted, this is how to check.

The way that the 8i6 is configured works perfectly with Cubase Pro 12 on my PC. But digital audio does not seem to be getting from the Genos’ S/PDIF digital audio output via the 8i6 to Cubasis 3 on my iPad Pro.

A mystery…

Hi Michael,

Have you already checked in "Setup (gear symbol) > Audio > Audio Device" whether your audio interface is displayed (and activiated) there? As with Cubasis 2 on my iPad4, "iPad Microphone" may still be activated there by default.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 10:40:24 PM by overover »

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 03:00:24 AM »
Have you already checked in "Setup (gear symbol) > Audio > Audio Device" whether your audio interface is displayed (and activiated) there? As with Cubasis 2 on my iPad4, "iPad Microphone" may still be activated there by default.

I am running the latest version of iOS, 16.3.1. It is running on an iPad Pro 12.9 inch 2nd generation. I did a search for “audio” in the settings, and there is no Audio Device sitting listed. The only audio settings I see are under Accessibility.

I have the AudioBus app, and I have it set to direct all 5 of the 8i6 stereo audio channels into Cubasis 3.

I can see in the Genos mixer that sound is being produced (the green indicator lights up), but that digital audio is not getting into Cubasis 3 for whatever reason. On the Genos in Line Out, all of the audio outputs are directed to Main.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 03:02:35 AM by Michael Trigoboff »

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 03:44:50 AM »
Hi Michael,

I didn't mean the iOS/iPadOS settings but the settings directly in the Cubasis 3 app (Gear icon top right). Apparently, however, there is no longer any setting option for the audio input device in the iOS version of Cubasis 3 (only in the Android version and in Cubasis 2).

Please watch the video at the following link (from time position 19:30). Obviously you now have to do the audio routing using the "Routing" button.
>>> https://forums.steinberg.net/t/solved-scarlett-studio-won-t-record-now-onto-cubasis-3-using-ios/765242/2

There is also a guide on this page to double check that the permission is given, in order to use Cubasis with external audio devices.

Best regards,
Chris

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 04:50:59 AM »
I didn't mean the iOS/iPadOS settings but the settings directly in the Cubasis 3 app (Gear icon top right). Apparently, however, there is no longer any setting option for the audio input device in the iOS version of Cubasis 3 (only in the Android version and in Cubasis 2).

Please watch the video at the following link (from time position 19:30). Obviously you now have to do the audio routing using the "Routing" button.
>>> https://forums.steinberg.net/t/solved-scarlett-studio-won-t-record-now-onto-cubasis-3-using-ios/765242/2

There is also a guide on this page to double check that the permission is given, in order to use Cubasis with external audio devices.

I just got it working! It took your help plus some random experimentation of the sort that has often led me to believe that I need to take a goat out in the backyard and sacrifice it to the digital music gods.

I didn't need AudioBus at all on the iPad. I just needed to enable microphone access on the iPad for Cubasis 3 in Privacy & Security. Then I had to set stereo input on my audio track to channels 7/8, even though the input signal shows up in on the right side of the Cubasis 3 mixer in channel "1/2 Stereo". Picking channel 7/8 is where sacrificing the goat comes in. I have absolutely no clue about why that setting works. The ways of the gods of digital music are beyond the understanding of us mere mortals.

Thanks for all your help...

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 06:13:24 AM »
I just got it working! It took your help plus some random experimentation of the sort that has often led me to believe that I need to take a goat out in the backyard and sacrifice it to the digital music gods.

I didn't need AudioBus at all on the iPad. I just needed to enable microphone access on the iPad for Cubasis 3 in Privacy & Security. Then I had to set stereo input on my audio track to channels 7/8, even though the input signal shows up in on the right side of the Cubasis 3 mixer in channel "1/2 Stereo". Picking channel 7/8 is where sacrificing the goat comes in. I have absolutely no clue about why that setting works. The ways of the gods of digital music are beyond the understanding of us mere mortals.

Thanks for all your help...

As I recall on the 816, Channels 7 & 8 are designated Inputs for S/PDIF 1 & SPDIF 2. Thinking that might be relevant (or not).
Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 06:53:03 AM »
As I recall on the 816, Channels 7 & 8 are designated Inputs for S/PDIF 1 & SPDIF 2. Thinking that might be relevant (or not).

I believe it is relevant. I’m remembering that in Cubase, the 8i6 audio inputs are listed in order: the six analog inputs followed by the two S/PDIF ones, which would therefore be channels 7 and 8.

Maybe the goat could’ve survived if my thought process had been quicker…