Author Topic: Need help in communication between Genos and Mobilesheets  (Read 2892 times)

Offline NAMA

Need help in communication between Genos and Mobilesheets
« on: January 25, 2023, 03:29:46 PM »
I succesfully installed Mobilesheets version 3.6.5 on a Windows 10 laptop and filled this with a lot of sheetmusic. The next step now is to use the feature of automatic selection of registrations visa versa. For this I connected Genos to Host output with laptop usb input (I checked the connection by starting up once in usb storage mode, so connection is o.k.)
After selecting Genos in midi settings of Mobilesheets and selecting All Parts in midi settings of Genos I followed the procedures as discribed in several topics on this forum but without success.
I can select the chain icon in the midi tab of Mobilesheets but nothing happens.
What can be wrong?
Bert
Never too old to learn.
Genos,Korg K49 and CVP709PE

Offline PhotoDoc05

Re: Need help in communication between Genos and Mobilesheets
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 05:41:39 PM »
Hello Bert,
I'm using MobileSheets with Windows 10 Pro (x64, version 22H2) and it's been working solidly with my PSR-SX900.

Just to be sure, check that you have the latest version of MobileSheets, on Windows it's currently 3.6.9  (released Jan. 13, 2023)

There are a few settings to check, again just to be sure --- >  mine is using MIDI Receive channel 1, likewise MIDI Send Channel 1
MIDI Echo --- Off      Allow multiple MIDI Channels -- Off

MIDI Device Type --  Genos / SX900  and then, importantly, Select MIDI Devices  (make sure you have a check mark for both the MIDI Input, and Output!
Lastly, check the "Disable MIDI" setting, make sure it is set to Off  (the wording could be confusing, you don't want to disable MIDI!)

Best of luck, hope this may help!    Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline NAMA

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 07:21:08 PM »
Thanks for your reply Jerry. Unfortunate it did not help me because my midi settings are exactly as you describe. Also my Windows version. The only difference is the version of Mobelesheets. I could not find how to update but I bought the program only about one month ago and looking to the changes of the latest 2 updates I think that this cannot cause the problem.
Please find enclosed the screenshots of my midi settings of Mobilesheets and Genos.
Maybe this helps finding a solution.
Bert
Never too old to learn.

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 08:26:20 PM »
OK Bert,
Yes, it looks like you have the same settings. The software update process depends on where you purchased it,
it's a little involved, and you may have to post a request on the MobileSheets forum.

I purchased via the Microsoft Store, and it just updates automatically for me, whenever it's available.   If you bought it through his website, updates are a little different.

But I can tell you that the developer is very good about replying, so just ask him.  You're probably right that your version should still work.

Have you tried asking this question on the MS foums? They are very helpful, and someone may have had the same issue.

The only thing I can add, is if you have another cable to try the connection with?   Also, I'll ask you again, because I didn't see your screen for MIDI devices.
You need to select a checkmark in both the MIDI Input Devices, and the MIDI Output Devices. (You probably do have that, but I'm double-checking!)

Maybe one last idea ---- when you try to add the link to MS, are you sure that you have a registration actually selected on the Genos? If there's nothing selected,
then it would not know what to link to?  (Again, you probably already know that)    Something is preventing MIDI communication.     Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

The following users thanked this post: NAMA

Offline reya

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 08:58:49 PM »
Bert,

Go to Instellingen / midi instellingen / kies midi randapparatuur and make sure you have selected one of the ’midi in apparaten’ AND one of the ’midi uit apparaten’.
The one to select should probably be named ’digital workstation’

Best of luck
Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline NAMA

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 10:32:32 PM »
Rudy,
Thanks for your advise. I am getting closer to the solution. I made the settings as given in the screenshots. The result now is that it works one way: if I select a registration the corresponding sheetmusic is displayed. It does not work yet the other way around. Has this something to do with the setting of screenshot 2?
Can you give me further advise?
Bert

P.s Are you Rudy from Turnhout? If so you will probably remember me, I bought the Genos Praktijkboeken from you.
Never too old to learn.

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 10:44:03 PM »
Hi Bert,

Have you already installed the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver on your Windows 10 laptop?

If not, please download this driver from Genos download page (V3.1.4 64-bit) and install it on the laptop. Important: When installing the driver, the Genos must already be connected to the PC/laptop via a USB cable.
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs

In MobileSheets you set "Digital Workstation 1" for both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT. In your case, it doesn't really matter which MIDI receive and transmit channel is set in MobileSheets, because the links in both directions run exclusively via SysEx messages (which are not tied to a specific MIDI channel).

By the way, the USB Storage Mode also works WITHOUT an installed USB-MIDI Driver.

Please also make sure that in the Genos MIDI settings in "System > page 2/2 > System Exclusive Messages" the two parameters "Transmit" and "Receive" are set to ON. (However, this should be set automatically when using the preset MIDI template "All Parts".)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline reya

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 07:07:13 AM »
Hello Bert,

No I am a different Rudy ..

When using playlists on Genos, the communication only works in one direction, just like you wrote. If you are using them try it outside of playlists and see if that works.

If not try the other ’midi uit’ digital workstation in the settings. If no change switch back to how it is now

Rudy

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 12:50:17 PM »
Hello Bert,
You're getting a lot of information thrown at you here, which is a good thing!

I would still be curious, because you haven't said, if you do have the MIDI devices SELECTED (with a check mark)?
This is not just automatically set, you have to manually make the selection when you setup MS. It's the one thing I didn't see in your pictures.

Go to  MIDI settings  |   Select MIDI Devices |   (a separate screen opens up) --> select a checkmark for MIDI Input Devices  AND, ALSO for MIDI Output.

Also as Chris pointed out, make sure you have that USB MIDI driver installed.   MobileSheets works in BOTH directions, at least on my setup!
If I choose a Song in MS, it selects the corresponding Registration on SX-900.   If I choose a Registration, or a Playlist entry, on SX-900, it selects the corresponding MS.
Keep at it, it is well worth the struggle!!      Jerry

Offline NAMA

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 01:56:30 PM »
Hello Bert,
You're getting a lot of information thrown at you here, which is a good thing!

I would still be curious, because you haven't said, if you do have the MIDI devices SELECTED (with a check mark)?
This is not just automatically set, you have to manually make the selection when you setup MS. It's the one thing I didn't see in your pictures.

Go to  MIDI settings  |   Select MIDI Devices |   (a separate screen opens up) --> select a checkmark for MIDI Input Devices  AND, ALSO for MIDI Output.

Also as Chris pointed out, make sure you have that USB MIDI driver installed.   MobileSheets works in BOTH directions, at least on my setup!
If I choose a Song in MS, it selects the corresponding Registration on SX-900.   If I choose a Registration, or a Playlist entry, on SX-900, it selects the corresponding MS.
Keep at it, it is well worth the struggle!!      Jerry

Jerry, thanks for you advise. If I follow your instructions I do not see checkmarks for input- and output devices. I see a checkmark for Genos, PSR-600/700/900 which I selected before.

In the meantime I got it all working but still have a question, see my next post
Bert
Never too old to learn.

Offline NAMA

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 02:22:11 PM »
I finally succeeded. I do not exactly know what made it succeed but this is what I did:
I installed the driver as Chris suggested.
I found that there was only one-way communication because when activating the linking icon I got a pop-up like screenshot 1, so only a choise between 2 batch commands. After selecting the +icon I got a pop-up like screenshot 2 (adding midi command) and noticed that ‘Laad muziekstuk bij ontvangst’ was not marked. After doing that I could cchoose the Patch select as shown in screenshot 3. This resulted in a 2-way communication.

I stll do need some advise. Now everytime I want to link I have to switch to screenshot 2 (+ icon) to select ‘Laad muziekstuk bij ontvangst’. I could not find a way to save this setting. Any ideas?
Bert
Never too old to learn.

Offline reya

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2023, 02:43:26 PM »
Bert,

It is much simpler than you think.
Screenshot one is all you need and it is not a choice screen. The two lines are both needed (one for each way of loading). When you get this screenshot one situation, all you need to do is to press 'ok' (top right of screen) to save that and it should work.

So to summarise:
Press the Genos link icon in MobileSheets
The two lines should appear as in your screenshot 1.
Pres the ok button to save the result.
Done!

Rudy

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2023, 02:46:23 PM »
OK Bert, Now it's becoming clearer! I think something is getting "Lost in Translation"  LOL

Your setting for the   "MIDI Device   TYPE"  is correctly set to  "Genos -- SX900"
There is another setting, directly below that one, in your menu it's   "Kies MIDI Randappartuur"

(Google Translates it as   "Choose MIDI Peripherals")   in the English software menu,    it's "Select MIDI    DEVICES"   OK!

I attached a picture of MIDI settings, and highlighted the menu in Yellow  for the "MIDI Device Type", which you have correct.
Also, highlighted in Green is the "Select MIDI Devices"    that's the one you click on, to open another screen.

You can see that other screen in the second picture, which shows the Input and Ouput selected with a checkmark.

Now, your first picture is EXACTLY correct, that is what you are supposed to see when you link a song!! Yes, there are TWO commands generated  (Input / Output)
It's not necessary at all to add that third command.   Let's just double check those screen settings, and I think you'll be working just fine.      Jerry

Offline NAMA

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2023, 03:39:43 PM »
I made the setting as Jerry suggested , see screenshot. Everything now works as it should. I thank you all for the great support!
Now it is time to get familiar with the possibilities of Mobilesheets.
Bert
Never too old to learn.

The following users thanked this post: Roshure

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2023, 04:36:08 PM »
Great to hear you have it all working Bert!

Yes, and now dig into all the features that are available.
In addition to linking to PDF sheet music, I eventually realized the capabilities of it's "Smart Buttons".

I use Smart Buttons to link to YouTube videos, lessons. and to open projects in my DAW, Reaper.
Everything gets organized, and easy to find.
Regards,  Jerry

Offline NAMA

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2023, 02:48:58 PM »
I am afraid I again need some help.
For personal reasons I was not able to play my Genos for a while. Now I started again and noticed that Mobilesheets only works in one direction: if I choose a registration the correct sheet music pops up but not the otherway around. To my knowledge I did not change anything in the settings ofSheetmusic and settings are the same as previously posted. I wonder what happened? Any suggestions?
Bert
Never too old to learn.

Offline overover

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2023, 03:11:54 PM »
I am afraid I again need some help.
For personal reasons I was not able to play my Genos for a while. Now I started again and noticed that Mobilesheets only works in one direction: if I choose a registration the correct sheet music pops up but not the otherway around. To my knowledge I did not change anything in the settings ofSheetmusic and settings are the same as previously posted. I wonder what happened? Any suggestions?
Bert

Hi Bert,

If you have not moved or renamed the used Registration bank files (or the folder(s) where the .rgt files are located) in the User drive or on the USB stick and if you have not changed the MIDI settings (SysEx Transmit AND Receive are still turned on), it should still work both ways.

If not, the problem is probably in MobileSheets. But unfortunately I can't help you in detail here.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline NAMA

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2023, 03:44:12 PM »
Hi Bert,

If you have not moved or renamed the used Registration bank files (or the folder(s) where the .rgt files are located) in the User drive or on the USB stick and if you have not changed the MIDI settings (SysEx Transmit AND Receive are still turned on), it should still work both ways.

If not, the problem is probably in MobileSheets. But unfortunately I can't help you in detail here.

Best regards,
Chris
Thanks for your reply Chris.
What do you exactly mean with (SysEx Transmit and Receive are still turned on)? Where can I find this?
Bert
Never too old to learn.

Offline overover

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2023, 04:49:38 PM »
Thanks for your reply Chris.
What do you exactly mean with (SysEx Transmit and Receive are still turned on)? Where can I find this?
Bert

Hi Bert,

Please open the MIDI display on the Genos ("Menu > MIDI") and make sure that one of the preset MIDI templates "All Parts" or "KBD & Style" is set there.

This automatically sets the "Transmit" and "Receive" parameters to "On" under "System tab > page 2/2 > System Exclusive Message" (which is necessary for the registration-change SysEx messages to work in both directions. Also see the attached screenshot.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline NAMA

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2023, 07:25:53 PM »
Hi Chris, midi settings are as in your screenshot so the problem must be caused by wrong midi settings in Mobilesheet. I had problems already from the beginning and still have doubts about my settings.
My settings in Mibilesheets are as follows:
Midi device: Genos, PSR-SX600/700/900
Select MIDI devices: MIDI In devices: MIDI, MIDI Out devices: MIDI (0), see screenshot.
I do not know this is correct because I think I saw other devices in the padt
As far as I know there is nothing else to set. I cannot fing anything about this in the Mobilesheetss manual.
I hope someone can help me.
Bert
Never too old to learn.

Offline NAMA

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2023, 07:39:11 PM »
I searched in my screenshots and found the shot that I made when everything worked fine. I do not know what changed and how to get this back again.
Bert
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 08:45:05 PM by overover »
Never too old to learn.

Offline overover

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2023, 08:45:22 PM »
I searched in my screenshots and found the shot that I made when everything worked fine. I do not know what changed and how to get this back again.
Bert

Hi Bert,

The settings on the attached screenshot of your last post are correct, so:

Computer MIDI IN: "Digital Workstation" (sometimes shown as "Digital Workstation 1")

Computer MIDI OUT: "Digital Workstation 1" (NOT Digital Workstation 2)

Important: Are you currently using a different USB terminal on your computer than you used to?

In some cases, the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver is not automatically installed for all existing USB terminals/ports. I recommend running the USB-MIDI Driver installation on the computer again (with the keyboard connected via USB cable and turned on!). Normally you should then (after restarting MobileSheets) be able to select the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT devices again like on the screenshot in your last post.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 08:51:40 PM by overover »

Offline NAMA

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2023, 01:25:13 PM »
Hi Chris,
I reinstalled the USB-MIDI driver but still same behaviour. Although I see MIDI instead of DIGITAL WORKSTATION in the setting I think this is o.k because MIDI disappears when disconnecting from Genos.
It is very difficult to detect the behaviour, I will try to describe several actions after linking two registration memories and 2 music sheets:
a) choosing a memory button in the correct registration bank the correct musicsheets pops up
b) choosing a music sheet no registration memory change
c) coming from a different registration bank and choosing same memory button as a) no music sheet change
d) being in the correct registration bank and choosing a music sheet the correct registration memory is choosen
e) choosing a different music sheet no change of registration memory
f) coming from a different registration bank and choosing a music sheet the correct registration memory is choosen.
It looks like sending and receiving of midisignals is o.k. but also that the result of it depends on the existing position of registration bank and music sheet display at the moment of sending/receiving.
I now assume that this has been wrong from the beginning but I did not use it very much at that time so did not notice.
I wanted to reinstall Musicsheets but unfortunate I cannot find the setup programm. I probably did not save.
I hope to find a solution but I am getting a little fustrated.
Bert
Never too old to learn.

Offline NAMA

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2023, 09:36:35 PM »
I have posted my problem on the Mobilesheet forum hoping that someone can help me.
Bert
Never too old to learn.