Author Topic: Use M-Audio Keystation88 With SX700  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Amirreza2000

Use M-Audio Keystation88 With SX700
« on: February 05, 2023, 09:58:27 AM »
Hi
Is it possible to use M-Audio Keystation88 with SX-700 , as it Act exactly Like SX700 Interior Keyboard?
i want to play with accompaiments & take chords by M-Audio.
if yes, how can i set midi to achive that? please explain in detail?

Re: Use M-Audio Keystation88 With SX700
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 10:36:19 PM »
Hi, don’t know anything about m audio, but , I used to have my Kawai es920 piano connected via midi to my sx900.  I was able to play the keys on the piano , it played chords for left hand to play the styles on 
sx 900 and I also played right hand melody on piano and it played the sx900 sounds.  So I didn’t have to use the keys on the sx900 at all.
I did still have to pick the styles ,  registrations , press start etc on the sx900.  All the piano was used for , was so I could have 88 notes.
If  you’re hoping to do more than that, wouldn’t know if it’s possible.

I now have my PA5x connected to sx900,  but I still only use it the same way as I did the piano . Anything more than that, just gets too complicated.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

The following users thanked this post: Amirreza2000

Offline Amirreza2000

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 09:19:05 AM »
Hi, don’t know anything about m audio, but , I used to have my Kawai es920 piano connected via midi to my sx900.  I was able to play the keys on the piano , it played chords for left hand to play the styles on 
sx 900 and I also played right hand melody on piano and it played the sx900 sounds.  So I didn’t have to use the keys on the sx900 at all.
I did still have to pick the styles ,  registrations , press start etc on the sx900.  All the piano was used for , was so I could have 88 notes.
If  you’re hoping to do more than that, wouldn’t know if it’s possible.

I now have my PA5x connected to sx900,  but I still only use it the same way as I did the piano . Anything more than that, just gets too complicated.
thank you
what is your midi setting in sx900 ?

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 10:26:32 AM »
Hi
Is it possible to use M-Audio Keystation88 with SX-700 , as it Act exactly Like SX700 Interior Keyboard?
i want to play with accompaiments & take chords by M-Audio.
if yes, how can i set midi to achive that? please explain in detail?

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Amirreza2000!

I recommend the following procedure:

1. Connect the MIDI OUT terminal of the Keystation to the MIDI IN of the SX700 using a standard 5-pin DIN MIDI cable and switch on both keyboards.

2. Make sure the Keystation is set to MIDI Transmit Channel 1.

3. Make sure that the preset MIDI template "All Parts" is set on the SX700 (in "Menu > MIDI"). Based on that, you now need to change a setting and then save a User MIDI template:

4. In the MIDI display touch the "Receive" tab. Make sure you are now on page "1/4".

5. Now change the entry "Port1 Ch1" in the "Part" column from "Song" to "Keyboard" in the first line of the list. You should now be able to play the SX700 with the Keystation keyboard just as you would with the internal SX700 keyboard.

6. Optional: Touch the ► icon to switch to the other list page and in the first line of the list, i.e. again at "Port1 Ch1" remove the checkmarks in the columns "CC" (= Control Change" and "PC". (This prevents the SX700 Registrations from being changed by Bank Select MSB/LSB and Program Change commands from the Keystation.)

7. Touch the ◄ icon to return to the original list page (where "Port1 Ch1" is set to the "Keyboard" Part).

8. Touch the "Save" icon and save the modified MIDI template in the User drive with a meaningful name (e.g. "Keystation").

9. Make sure that the newly saved MIDI template is now actually activated (instead of "All Parts" before).

10. Close the MIDI display by pressing the Exit button or touching the X icon.

11. Done! :)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 12:33:24 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 11:06:31 AM »

6. Optional: Touch the ► icon to switch to the other list page and in the first line of the list, i.e. again at "Port1 Ch1" remove the checkmarks in the columns "CC" (= Control Change" and "PC". (This prevents the SX700 Registrations from being changed by Bank Select MSB/LSB and Program Change commands from the Keystation.)

Best regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris, hadn’t occurred to me to set the sx up to not receive the program changes, wasn’t a problem when using the piano as controller, but PA5x sends program changes ( usually when I don’t want them) .  Even though I use a setting that stops pa5x from sending them, I sometimes forget to switch it back to the correct one.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 12:36:37 PM »
Off topic

Hey Rikki :

Hope you are doing well. :)

Is your PA5X/88 working well ? No problems at all, I may hope.

Did you read Andrew's PA5X/88 keybed experience ? A very sad story ...

Best wishes, JH

Edit 2023-02-07: Note "Off topic" added by overover.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 06:27:48 PM by overover »

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 06:35:36 PM »
Thanks Chris, hadn’t occurred to me to set the sx up to not receive the program changes, wasn’t a problem when using the piano as controller, but PA5x sends program changes ( usually when I don’t want them) .  Even though I use a setting that stops pa5x from sending them, I sometimes forget to switch it back to the correct one.

You're welcome, Rikki!

I hope my explanations will help the OP (Amirreza2000) as well. :)

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 11:30:40 PM »
You're welcome, Rikki!

Best regards,
Chris
Hi Chris, it should.  It was very detailed. Far more detail than he could of gotten from me😀
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 11:55:21 PM »
Off topic

Hey Rikki :

Hope you are doing well. :)

Is your PA5X/88 working well ? No problems at all, I may hope.

Did you read Andrew's PA5X/88 keybed experience ? A very sad story ...

Best wishes, JH

Edit 2023-02-07: Note "Off topic" added by overover.

Hi Jeff,  I’m going well thank you. Apart from the bugs that I’m hoping they will finally fix next update, I haven’t had any hardware issues. (Touch wood.) Software, well had a couple of crashes while trying to do stuff I shouldn’t with style editing. 

Read about Andrews issues , not good. Can’t believe that one of the Korg forums removed his post on the problem.

My korgs have never been as reliable as my Yamahas.  Prior to this one , 3 out of the 4 Korg arrangers I’ve owned had some sort of issue.

Still, I keep going back. Haha.

I prefer the style format of the Korg, but, Yamaha has other functions that I wish were available on the Korg. Especially Registrations, and sync start on the pads, just to name a couple.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Amirreza2000

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 09:10:37 AM »
You're welcome, Rikki!

Best regards,
Chris
thank you very much.
your explanation was so helpful.

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 01:01:00 PM »
thank you very much.
your explanation was so helpful.

Thanks for your kind feedback, Amirreza2000!

I'm glad to could help you. :)

Best regards,
Chris