Author Topic: Review of the DGX670 - from a different perspective.  (Read 1386 times)

Offline mikf

Review of the DGX670 - from a different perspective.
« on: February 05, 2023, 01:25:23 AM »
I say different perspective because this evening my wife and I walked into a local restaurant and, lo and behold, they had an entertainer playing a DGX670. Not only is it unusual to come across an entertainer using an arranger, but it's the first sight I have had of the 670. And the different perspective is to review it as a simple listener, not as a player, or potential buyer. It was interesting to view it from that perspective.
The instrument was being played over the house amplification, which was decent quality, and the guy was a better than average player, obviously a piano player first and foremost, but he did use a variety of lead voices, and styles.
The overall impression of the instrument was that it sounded quite brilliant, the voices were all authentic, and clean. The piano sound was better than just  good. It genuinely sounded like a piano should sound. Talking to the guy he loved the feel of the keyboard, and did not seem to be too concerned about the weight as a gig instrument. It appears to be built like a tank by the way.
Frankly it convinced me that my comments about the piano voice on these Yamaha instruments is dead on. Certainly this DGX has excellent piano voices - and other voices. When properly played the piano voices are much more than just acceptable. Maybe for top level recording, great players can get picky, but for all intents and purposes, to the average listener, these pianos are very authentic. Even to a quite well informed listener!!
There is no doubt that this DGX 670 is fantastic value for money and a great  instrument for a piano player - if you don't have a weak back. I wish it had been available to me in my gigging days.
Mike.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 05:08:09 AM by mikf »

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline Graham UK

Re: Review of the DGX670 - from a different perspective.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 10:16:09 AM »
Mike. I have had my DGX670 for over a year now, it's everything you put in your review.
Coming from a Tyros 5-76 I was not expecting such good voice samples from DGX, but they are excellent. Voice edit available for adjustments if required.
The key-bed quality feel for me is a joy to play.
I'm basically an arranger home player and the DGX play many of the available Yammy Styles.
Well made and as you stated good value for asking price.
DGX670

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 10:24:50 AM »
Mike,
I think you are only right to bring up this machine in the PA5X 88 thread.

Many will be swayed by the PA5X because it has a weighted action (I was) and just the fact it is top of the line arranger from Korg.
AND I think a big problem is people are swayed by online demos rather than investigating alternatives in store.

Looking a little bit further will be worth while to save you serious cash and perhaps feel less frustrating in a few months.
Consider one can buy a DGX670 and SX900 and still save well over a grand compared to a PA5X 88 even if you need more advanced arranger functionality with a weighted action.
Probably a better / more reliable keybed in the Yamaha DGX too.

I keep hammering on about it but the PA5X can't even record Wav. Even this DGX can. Mental.  :o

Just saw the DGX even has 4 registration buttons that I'm sure will make preparing live playing easy.
Amazing for the price.

I guess the only compromise with the DGX is the lack of connections. Only a single stereo out and no midi connections except for the usb to midi which to be fair is probably enough for most people.

Regardless, I wish I had bought the DGX instead of the Korg PA5X! Seriously, no joke.  :-[
It was an expensive mistake.

I think from now I am going to be extremely cautious even just considering venturing outside of the Yamaha world when it comes to arrangers.
Once bitten, twice shy.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 10:30:31 AM by AndrewKeyz »
Without Music, Life would be a Mistake.

Check out my Genos recordings & performances: http://www.youtube.com/andrewkeyz

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 11:18:22 AM »
... but the PA5X can't even record Wav. Even this DGX can. Mental.  :o
I have no reason to "defend" Pa5X... but in my opinion, this thing about wav is way overrated. Or to say it differently, bad reputation of mp3 is totally unjustified.
I said it before and I say again: I dare to challenge anyone who's capable to hear the difference between 320kbps mp3 and wav -no matter how expensive equipment is used. But then, some think they have super-hearing.. so be it.

Just sharing my thoughts,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 03:09:08 PM »
Put some decent speakers on the 670 and it’s not that far short of a portable CVP at a fraction of the price. For the piano player who just wants some decent accompaniment and a selection of additional voices, it’s a steal.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK