Author Topic: Metronome - tap without style coming on  (Read 1481 times)

Offline jcm2016

Metronome - tap without style coming on
« on: February 04, 2023, 10:17:28 PM »
I want to be able to tap a tempo in with the metronome, but not have the style come on.   I looked in the manual, and didn't see it.   Using the Tempo icon controls the style.  Using the metronome has various settings, but none that I saw addressed the tap.

I found it difficult when trying to tap a beat in 3 (in my mind it's 3k, but the last style was 4, so it comes on as I'm in my second bar.

Can it be done?

Thank you!

Offline mikf

Re: Metronome - tap without style coming on
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 11:28:05 PM »
Actually I don’t think the style tempo cares how many taps, it works from the tempo of your taps ie the gap between two. The style selected sets the number of beats in the the bar. Select a 4/4 style and the start up should match the bar length. I don’t think the tap in can be disabled, but I may be wrong.
Mike

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 06:11:45 PM »
Thank you.

The irony of this is that a feature available on basic keyboards (tapping in a metronome speed) isn't available on the 805.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 02:26:41 AM »
I want to be able to tap a tempo in with the metronome, but not have the style come on.   I looked in the manual, and didn't see it.   Using the Tempo icon controls the style.  Using the metronome has various settings, but none that I saw addressed the tap.

I found it difficult when trying to tap a beat in 3 (in my mind it's 3k, but the last style was 4, so it comes on as I'm in my second bar.

Can it be done?

Thank you!

Hi jcm2016,

As far as I know, you can't prevent the Style from starting after a certain number of taps (with 4/4 Styles after the fourth tap). Have you tried setting the Style volume to zero in the mixer? Then it wouldn't matter if the Style was running in the background, and you could work with just the Metronome as desired.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 02:28:36 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 04:54:34 AM »
Thank you.

The irony of this is that a feature available on basic keyboards (tapping in a metronome speed) isn't available on the 805.
Not sure what you mean. There is a metronome on/off button and tap tempo right beneath it on the 805.
You can also assign tap tempo to your middle pedal.
Mike

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 06:42:36 PM »
Chris - thank you.  I hadn't tried that, I expect it would work.

Mike - I mean that the style turns on after four taps, but on lower end keyboards you can tap away for longer to find the tempo you want.   Maybe it's just me - that I don't dial into the right tempo when I tap within the four beats. 

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 08:27:41 PM »
The style will adjust tempo to additional taps though.
I keep my third pedal on the CVP set to tap tempo, because I think it’s more intuitive to tap your foot than a button. And if you don’t like the style tempo you can tap with your foot to adjust it on the fly.
Mike