Author Topic: PSR SX 900 How to import Yamaha Styles  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Carlos Martinez

PSR SX 900 How to import Yamaha Styles
« on: February 04, 2023, 09:05:43 PM »
Hello everyone:  I am new to Keyboards as well as this Forum.  At 84, I decided I want to surprise my Family next Christmas by playing my PSR 900.  I selected several Style Packs from Yamaha which I would like to import into the keyboard but after reading about it and watching YouTube, I am very confused on how to do it.  I am not very familiar with this forum and the answer may be here but I haven't found it.  I believe I need an app called Expansion Manager but don't know where to get it or how to use it.  I thought it would be as simple as downloading them to my computer, loading them into a USB drive and plug it into the keyboard but that doesn't seem to be the case.  If someone knows the correct procedure, I would sincerely appreciate your help.  Thank you in advance
Carlos

Offline Fred Smith

Re: PSR SX 900 How to import Yamaha Styles
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 09:22:10 PM »
It is that simple, Carlos.

You need to tell us what isn’t working for us to help you.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 09:35:27 PM »
hello Carlos,
You can find YEM here.
After installing YEM on PC, you will need to import "info file" of your keyboard into YEM -without it, you can't create file that your keyboard can read. Read manual how to get that "info file" from your keyboard (btw. file has .n27 suffix).
Now you can import actual packs into YEM. Once some pack is imported, you can select which styles and voices from pack you wish to have on your keyboard. Until you're not familiar with all that, it's the best if you chose complete pack. To do that, you click on your keyboard button (on the left side of YEM) and select a pack (pack will get green checkmark). After that you click on button on top/right side of YEM to create "install" file. When you get asked where to save, make sure you chose ".ppi" file (on the bottom where you can rename install pack name.
Once you have MyPack.ppi file, copy it to USB stick and then insert stick into keyboard. On keyboard, press MENU button (on the top/right side of display) and press MENU button again -now you'll see MENU 2 on display. Here you select Expansion Pack button on display and follow the instructions on display.

I suggest you start reading Owner's manual  :)
Bogdan
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 09:38:54 PM by BogdanH »
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Carlos Martinez

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 11:27:12 PM »
Bogdan explained it perfectly. If you want to use expansion packs you have to use YEM (Yamaha Expansion Manager) app.

But you can also import individual styles or style folders that are not part of an expansion pack. These you can find a LOT of on this forum. Just click on the Styles tap on the main site. The style folders are zipped, so you have to "pack them out" on your computer. After that you can just load them to a USB stick and use the file system on your keyboard to import them.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Carlos Martinez

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 07:08:14 PM »
Sorry for being so inexperience at this but at the moment, I am stuck.  I downloaded the app from Yamaha onto my computer and got a folder with an executable file inside.  Took my flash drive to the keyboard and formatted it.  Loaded the executable onto my flash drive and stuck it back in the keyboard thinking the keyboard would execute the file but it didn't so I executed the file on the computer and it loaded a bunch of information onto my computer.  I then downloaded the Y Expansion Manager manual and found out how to install the Instrument info file from the keyboard on the flash drive. I then uploaded that file into the YEM app.
I was under the impression that all of this work would take place on the keyboard but I suppose not.  Now that the app is on my desktop with the info file in it, does that mean I can now download the Yamaha Styles I selected onto my computer and drag them into the YEM application, load it to the flash drive and plug it into the keyboard and install them?
Thanks for your help
Carlos

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 08:51:16 PM »
Now that you installed YEM on PC and also imported instrument info file, you're ready to go.
At Yamaha you can't download styles separately: you can only download packs, which contain styles and voices (see here). Download desired pack and make sure it's for your keyboard. It will come as zip file, so you need to decompress it first. What you finally get, is *.ppf or *.cpf file.
Open YEM and import pack. You can import more than one pack into YEM, but I recommend you first start with one only (until you become familiar with stuff).
All that might sound complicated at first, but it's a quite simple and quick process.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Carlos Martinez

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 10:20:26 PM »
Thank you.  I guess that downloading the app to the computer was the right choice.  I will do as you say and try to download the Style Packs and install them on the keyboard.  It is really nice that there are people like you that are willing to help beginners and I really appreciate your interest.
Thanks again
Carlos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 11:23:31 PM »
Style packs if they are just ordinary files do not load into YEM. It is the free packs given by Yamaha for your keyboard that also contain new voices that you use YEM for.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 11:50:56 PM »
Carlos,

You say you put the styles on your USB drive.  After you plug the USB into your keyboard press the style button and navigate to the USB drive.  They should show up .  If they don't it might be because you didn't unpack the zip file.  The way the keyboard works is to load styles you must press the style button. To load Multi Pads you must press the Multi Pad Select button.  To select Voices you must press one of the Voice category buttons.  This type of system is called "masking". It will keep us from trying to load the wrong type of file than what we intended.

Joe H 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 04:05:44 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan