Author Topic: "Erratic" polyfony(?) SX 700 when playing"50s Vintage Amp" Guitar  (Read 772 times)

Offline OldMan

Hello everyone!  :) This is my very first post at this excellent forum, I already have read a LOT of interesting things regarding Yamaha keyboards.
I just bought an 2months old SX700, but are so far, not quite happy with it. The reason for this, is as follows:
When playing C-E-G-C as a quick "thrill" with fingers left at the keys, starting with C4, it sounds like the keyb in som way looses it's "breath". The punch for "E" and "G" instead more or less as a "click" instead of a clean tone. The same thing happens when shifting to "Shadowed Guitar", but NOT when alternatively playing for example "Warm Solid".
So far, I have not found any other "wrong" things with the instrument.
I also happen to have an elder PSR-S750 and a (PSR-540 as well), but none of those indicate the same problem.
The keyb has the latest sw.version, 1.11 and I also did a complete reset of it, without any improvement. Sadly, this forum does not allow sound files, othervise I had attatched one.

There's not a lot of SX700 in my neigbourhood, or music shops around to compare with, so hopefully I may get some deasant answers here?
Looking forward to any reply!  :) Best regards from Oslo, Norway.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 12:44:01 PM by OldMan »

Online BogdanH

Re: "Erratic" polyfony(?) SX 700 when playing"50s Vintage Amp" Guitar
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 01:08:15 PM »
I think I know what you mean... for example, if you press C4 and then quickly afterward E4, then E4 just isn't as loud as C4 (or isn't as loud as if you press E4 alone).
That's a "feature" of S.Art voices and such behavior is supposed to mimic "real playing". But  in my opinion (and as you noticed), in many cases it just doesn't sound "right".
For comparison, go into Legacy voices, select E.Guitar and pick VintageLead guitar (which isn't S.Art).

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: OldMan

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 02:12:34 PM »
Bogdan described the effect. SA voices are designed to "lose" some attack if you play legato (IE. allow one note to run into another without note offs in between). It can be quite restricting and often seems to me unnecessarily exaggerated with some guitar voices.
As well as trying to play non SA guitars to avoid the effect, you could try to develop a satisfactory playing technique with SA guitars over time eg. try playing the notes deliberately staccato, maybe at slower tempo to help, hear the differences and go on practicing from there to get an acceptable balance of attack vs. no attack.

John   
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 02:27:11 PM by jwyvern »

Offline OldMan

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 04:16:45 PM »
What a relief!  ;D
Thank you very much indeed, both of you!
I was a bit afraid regarding a possible fault, after all, it has been used a couple of months before it got into my hands.
Thanks again, have a lovely week-end!  :D