Author Topic: Size expansion packs  (Read 892 times)

Dshaggy

Size expansion packs
« on: February 03, 2023, 09:18:04 PM »
I'm still in dubio whether to buy a sx600 or sx700. For me the Indian voices and styles are important. I know the sx600 has 100mb and the sx700 has 400 mb expansion memory.

Now for my question: does anyone know the size of the Yamaha expansion packs? For instance the free Yamaha Indian Entertainer which is available from the Yamaha site?
I can't find any info on the size anywhere.
And since the sx600 only has 100mb "size matters" 😂

Offline Enildo

Re: Size expansion packs
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 11:23:16 PM »
hello Dshaggy

In the upper right part of the Yamaha Expansion Manager you can see the size of each package.
After installing your "n27" file, YEM will show a size bar in red if the packages exceed the size supported by the keyboard.
It is also possible to exclude styles, voices and etc from packages. You can gain more space mainly by deleting voices that you are not interested in.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Dshaggy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 12:21:59 AM »
Thanks a lot

Offline Lacko

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 09:21:45 AM »
I'm still in dubio whether to buy a sx600 or sx700. For me the Indian voices and styles are important. I know the sx600 has 100mb and the sx700 has 400 mb expansion memory.

Now for my question: does anyone know the size of the Yamaha expansion packs? For instance the free Yamaha Indian Entertainer which is available from the Yamaha site?
I can't find any info on the size anywhere.
And since the sx600 only has 100mb "size matters" 😂

If you can afford it, buy SX700. Its 400 MB expansion memory, in reality only 392 MB, is not too much. To fight with insufficient memory limitations from the first day after purchase is not good start.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 10:10:36 AM »
Indian entertainer pack (for SX700) has size of 132MB and it contains ~60 voices (including drumkits). That means, in this case, one voice has average size of about 2MB -which is very small. Depending on type of instrument, better quality voices usually have size of about 10-30MB (or even more). But you don't need to install complete pack. You can select which voices you wish to be installed.

The question remains: is 100MB memory enough? Yes, it can be enough if you're interested only on particular (i.e. indian) kind of music -because keep in mind, that there are several hundred voices already built in keyboard!
But then, it's never enough memory... if you would like to add some other high quality instruments, then you will only be able to install 4-5 voices -but in this case you can't have indian pack installed at the same time.

We don't buy new keyboard every year, so think twice before deciding.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube