Author Topic: How to load a single Style, Registration, Pad, etc...from my Backup?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline brucerez

Hi,

I always do a backup after editing my styles, registration, pads, etc... through Utility > Backup/Restore.
Yesterday I wanted to reload a registration memory (which I deleted accidentally in the keyboard) from my backup USB flash drive.

When I open my backup file (from USB flash drive) I see only 2 folders; AUDIOREC.ROOT and SONG.
When I click on them they are both empty! No Style, Registration, Pad are saved on it. So It is not possible to load any data from there.

I think in Yamaha terminology the Backup has different purpose despite of other brands.

Question:
Beside the Backup through Utility, is there other way to Backup all my user data (style, registration, pad, etc...) in a USB flash drive
and load them individually in case I need in the future.

Thank you

Offline travlin-easy

Re: How to load a single Style, Registration, Pad, etc...from my Backup?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 08:04:11 PM »
In order to see/open the files, you must try opening them from the Styles section of the keyboard, then tab over to the USB drive and you should be able open them.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline ckobu

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 08:27:46 PM »
The backup you created through Utility > Backup is just one file with the extension BUP. You can restore it to the keyboard only if you open it via Utility > Restore.
You can watch the procedure in this video.
https://youtu.be/qiAZ8Yowqk0
It is possible to make a backup of individual parts, I have shown that in this video. Activate English subtitles.
https://youtu.be/W0GhgoXf3gk

Offline brucerez

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 09:05:21 PM »
In order to see/open the files, you must try opening them from the Styles section of the keyboard, then tab over to the USB drive and you should be able open them.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)

Thanks Gary for your reply.

This is exactly what I did, highlighting the USB drive in the tab, opening from the Style section of the keyboard,
the same for registration (from registration section), but as I mentioned there is no user style, registration, no user data in my backup folder.

Offline brucerez

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 09:08:47 PM »
The backup you created through Utility > Backup is just one file with the extension BUP. You can restore it to the keyboard only if you open it via Utility > Restore.
You can watch the procedure in this video.
https://youtu.be/qiAZ8Yowqk0
It is possible to make a backup of individual parts, I have shown that in this video. Activate English subtitles.
https://youtu.be/W0GhgoXf3gk
Thanks Casper, I will watch the video.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 10:34:05 PM »
Hi Bruce,

please note that all File Selection displays on Yamaha arranger keyboards are filtered by filetype. This means, to see/load/copy/move/delete Style files you have to to be in STYLE mode (i.e. in the Style Selection display), for Registrations you have to be in the Registration Selection display, etc.

What is described also means that a folder can appear to be "empty" if you are in the "wrong" File Selection display (because the folder contains files of a different type).

Caution in this context when deleting folders: folders may contain files of several different file types. If you are not 100% sure that a folder that is displayed as "empty" does not contain any other file types, I recommend not deleting this folder as a precaution.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 10:35:43 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 10:59:34 PM »
If you used Back Up/Restore to save your content to USB then you must use Restore to load it back in.
  If you want to make back ups of registrations and styles then just save them normally to your USB.

Offline Bill

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 11:06:02 PM »

Question:
Beside the Backup through Utility, is there other way to Backup all my user data (style, registration, pad, etc...) in a USB flash drive
and load them individually in case I need in the future.

Thank you

You could use Yamaha’s MusicSoft Downloader to do the copying for backups. It is available free from the Yamaha download site.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline brucerez

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 11:07:39 PM »
Hi Bruce,

please note that all File Selection displays on Yamaha arranger keyboards are filtered by filetype. This means, to see/load/copy/move/delete Style files you have to to be in STYLE mode (i.e. in the Style Selection display), for Registrations you have to be in the Registration Selection display, etc.

What is described also means that a folder can appear to be "empty" if you are in the "wrong" File Selection display (because the folder contains files of a different type).

Caution in this context when deleting folders: folders may contain files of several different file types. If you are not 100% sure that a folder that is displayed as "empty" does not contain any other file types, I recommend not deleting this folder as a precaution.

Best regards,
Chris

Thank you Chris for your reply.
I am in Style mode when I open the backup folder and the same for Registration. I wanted to replace a Registration memory, I click on the top left Registration Bank (Regist) and then click on USB 1, backup folder. There are 2 folders AUDIOREC.ROOT and SONG. There is nothing inside, no Registration.

The process of loading Style or other data from a backup file is the same as Korg arrangers, I use it for more than twenty years and I am aware that for loading a related data we have to be in the related page (ex; Style Mode, Song Mode, Sound Mode, etc...). The only difference is that in Korg backup data, it shows all content but not in Yamaha even though we are in the right mode (style mode song mode, etc...)

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 12:01:41 AM »
Thank you Chris for your reply.
I am in Style mode when I open the backup folder and the same for Registration. I wanted to replace a Registration memory, I click on the top left Registration Bank (Regist) and then click on USB 1, backup folder. There are 2 folders AUDIOREC.ROOT and SONG. There is nothing inside, no Registration.

The process of loading Style or other data from a backup file is the same as Korg arrangers, I use it for more than twenty years and I am aware that for loading a related data we have to be in the related page (ex; Style Mode, Song Mode, Sound Mode, etc...). The only difference is that in Korg backup data, it shows all content but not in Yamaha even though we are in the right mode (style mode song mode, etc...)

Hi Bruce,

As already mentioned, you cannot extract individual files from a "Backup" file (.bup) created with the internal BACKUP function. Such a backup file contains the System settings (System Setup, User Effects and User MIDI settings) as well as the contents of the internal User drive. The only thing you can do with such a .bup file is restore ALL the settings and files it contains "in one go" using the RESTORE function. All current contents of the internal flash memory are overwritten (i.e. System settings and contents of the User drive)!

To get a backup that you can WORK with, just COPY the desired files (e.g. Styles or Registrations), or entire folders containing files of the relevant file type, in the relevant File Selection display onto a USB stick.

The easiest way is not to use the internal memory (User drive) at all (or only for frequently used Registrations, User Voices or Multi Pads), but store and manage all "playing data" (e.g. Registration Bank files, Styles, MIDI files)  on USB sticks. To create backups, you plug the USB stick into the computer and simply copy all the data to other sticks, to the computer hard drive, to other media or to cloud storage.

By the way, the internal User drive has fixed main folders specified by the system for each individual file type (e.g. STYLE, REGIST, MULTI PAD). If you work with the User drive and have created registrations in which user styles are linked, for example, these registrations will not work from the USB stick, even if you copy the styles including the subfolder created in the user drive to the USB stick . In order for the registrtions from the stick to work, you would either have to create the aforementioned main folders on the USB stick exactly as in the user drive and then copy the files from the user drive there, or you would have to change each individual registration (relink user files ) and then re-save each Registration Bank. Alternatively, you could change the file paths in the Registration Banks in batch with the "Yamaha Registration Manager".

You can avoid the source of error just described (caused by the fixed folder structure in the internal user drive) by always working with a USB stick, as described above.

P.S.
The (hidden) folder "AUDIOREC.ROOT" is used by Genos and Tyros5 for the Audio Multi Recording function. It is located in the internal User drive of the Genos and on the internal hard drive of the Tyros5. As far as I know, this folder does not exist for PSR-SX models.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline brucerez

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 08:46:49 PM »
Thank you Chris as usual for your detailed explanation.
I am just trying to understand correctly the backup system in Yamaha arranger and please forgive me if I miss something.

Hi Bruce,

As already mentioned, you cannot extract individual files from a "Backup" file (.bup) created with the internal BACKUP function. Such a backup file contains the System settings (System Setup, User Effects and User MIDI settings) as well as the contents of the internal User drive. The only thing you can do with such a .bup file is restore ALL the settings and files it contains "in one go" using the RESTORE function. All current contents of the internal flash memory are overwritten (i.e. System settings and contents of the User drive)!

Just to make sure I understood you correctly (please correct me if any error).

According to user’s manual we can back up all data saved in the User drive (except expansion contents) and
all settings of the instrument to a USB flash drive as a single file named “PSR-A5000.bup.”
The BUP file contains all the keyboard settings and all the contents of USER (except expansion contents).

So as you mentioned, this BUP file is used (if needed) for Restoring the whole content of USER in one go (not for individually restoration of any user data), I got it.

Question 1:
Does the Contents of USER mean the below data and should I backup individually every time I do some editing/modification on each one in USB flash drive?

User Styles
User Voices
User Registrations
User M.Pad
UserEffects
User Master EQ/Compressor
User Microphone setting,
User Live Control
User Favorite

Question 2:
Is it possible to backup (by highlighting) the Whole Folder (each in the relevant File Selection display) of Styles, Voices, Registrations instead of selecting individually each style, voice or registration file individually on a USB flash drive?

I tried to select the whole folder (for example my Pop style folder) but as soon as I select it, it opens the folder and shows all single style that are on it.

P.S.
The (hidden) folder "AUDIOREC.ROOT" is used by Genos and Tyros5 for the Audio Multi Recording function. It is located in the internal User drive of the Genos and on the internal hard drive of the Tyros5. As far as I know, this folder does not exist for PSR-SX models.

Best regards,
Chris

Just FYI, on my PSR-A5000 when I open my backup file (from USB flash drive) there are folders AUDIOREC.ROOT and SONG.

Thank you
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 08:48:00 PM by brucerez »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 02:55:08 AM »
I keep all my files on a USB drive and then back up the USB drive (make a copy) on my computer when ever I add or make changes to the files. The backup on my computer includes the date I saved my backup. Typically I keep the 3 latest backups and delete the others.

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 02:57:44 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: brucerez

Offline brucerez

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2023, 09:41:32 PM »
Finally I created different folders on my USB flash drive and I backed up successfully my user Styles, user Registrations, user Voices and user Effects.

Question:
How can I backup the following on my USB flash drive? is it even possible?:

User Master EQ/Compressor
User Microphone setting
Favorite
Live Control

Thank you for any info.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 08:26:05 PM by brucerez »