Author Topic: Suggestion for coloring some panel buttons  (Read 1662 times)

Offline brucerez

Suggestion for coloring some panel buttons
« on: February 01, 2023, 10:35:15 PM »
Hi,

I am a gig musician and sometimes I perform in a not very practical lighting situation and I need to see easily
my panels buttons specially Main Variation and Registrations buttons for a fast and accurate selection.

The letters (A,B,C,D) and numbers (registrations 1-8) of panel's buttons on my keyboard are all dark color, hard to see in a bad lighting.

So I was thinking trying to color the letters and numbers with a Marker, Extra Fine Tip, White Ink.
What do you think?

I would appreciate it If anybody has any suggestion or better idea.

Thank you

Offline Enildo

Re: Suggestion for coloring some panel buttons
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 02:44:00 PM »
Hello Brucerez

Yes I did that as soon as I got mine but I used liquid paper. after soaking everything,
you must remove the excess with a fine cloth (those used to clean glasses).
I also passed the volume knob and the tips of the two Live Control buttons.
I also passed the microphone button, which is on the back of the keyboard.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline brucerez

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 05:04:50 PM »
Hello Brucerez

Yes I did that as soon as I got mine but I used liquid paper. after soaking everything,
you must remove the excess with a fine cloth (those used to clean glasses).
I also passed the volume knob and the tips of the two Live Control buttons.
I also passed the microphone button, which is on the back of the keyboard.

Enildo

Thank you Enildo for your reply.
Can you please provide any link of liquid paper you used, that would be very helpful?
And eventually if you don't mind any picture from your keyboard after you put the liquid paper on it.

Appreciated.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 11:04:32 PM »
Hi Bruce,

I advise against using paint/lacquer pencils/markers on the keyboard panel or buttons. Often too much paint/lacquer is applied, which then dries poorly or "runs".

You could purchase self-adhesive "glow-in" (phosphorescent) marker dots to place next to commonly used buttons. You could also use an office punch to make dots out of a piece of (white) self-adhesive "P-Touch" labeling tape and stick these on as marker dots. Or you print appropriate labeling strips (e.g. black on white tape) with such a labeling device.

Another option is to use quick-drying white correction fluid ("Tipp-Ex liquid"), possibly applied with a toothpick.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: brucerez

Offline Enildo

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 02:39:31 PM »
Here's what I used and how the buttons turned out.

Offline brucerez

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 05:01:11 PM »
Here's what I used and how the buttons turned out.

Thanks a lot Enildo.

Wow..Bravo, your keyboard looks great and I wish to achieve the same result with my mine.
Do you have any suggestion how to proceed to get such a great result? Sorry I am not very good with this kind of thing.... :)

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 09:50:34 PM »
That looks great! btw, Tipp-Ex, Liquid Paper, and Wite-Out are all the same thing. Different brands of correction fluid

Mark

Offline Enildo

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 11:09:59 PM »
Thanks a lot Enildo.

Wow..Bravo, your keyboard looks great and I wish to achieve the same result with my mine.
Do you have any suggestion how to proceed to get such a great result? Sorry I am not very good with this kind of thing.... :)

Paint enough so that the liquid paper penetrates the low relief of the buttons and after drying, remove the excess with a damp cloth. Simple!
From time to time you have to replace the liquid paper, especially the most used buttons.

Offline Lacko

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 09:02:38 AM »
Good idea. Thanks Enildo for the inspiration.
After seeing your photos I looked at my keyboard and saw that there are really low profile signs in some buttons I never noticed before - they are black in black - perfectly visible combination. I just wonder why Yamaha didn't fill them with some contrasting color fill. Just to save a dollar for a set of buttons?
BTW Medeli AKX10 has all buttons and knobs lighted. It is a big help.

Offline brucerez

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 09:19:29 PM »
Paint enough so that the liquid paper penetrates the low relief of the buttons and after drying, remove the excess with a damp cloth. Simple!
From time to time you have to replace the liquid paper, especially the most used buttons.

Thanks a lot Enildo for the tip.

Offline mhack

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 09:56:33 PM »
Hello. I use a small tube of acrylic paint from Walmart or Target, etc, with a fine tip brush. Artists stuff. Works great. Good luck,
Hack