Author Topic: Attaching an expander to my Genos  (Read 1572 times)

Offline DaveD

Attaching an expander to my Genos
« on: January 29, 2023, 11:35:15 AM »
I want to connect a Ketron SD90 to my Genos. Can someone advise me which midi input socket I should use. I don't want to damage either instruments.

Thanks,
DaveD

Offline acparker

Re: Attaching an expander to my Genos
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 10:55:53 AM »
As long as you do Midi OUT --> Midi IN (or through), you won't have to worry about damage.  MIDI was designed with a optocoupler so that there is no electrical connection between the two instruments.

But on setting it up so that it works -- I don't know anything about the Ketron so I can't help you out there.

Adam

Offline Duffy

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 11:01:05 AM »
As Adam says, Midi out from Genos  to  Midi in on Ketron
Ketron's menus are perfectly straightforward and will set it ip for you in a couple of minutes..
You will have a damned good sound using those together.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 04:38:12 PM by Duffy »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 11:55:24 AM »
I want to connect a Ketron SD90 to my Genos. Can someone advise me which midi input socket I should use. I don't want to damage either instruments.

Thanks,
DaveD

It depends which one you are using as the controller keyboard, and which as the slave.

You want to connect MIDI OUT from the controller to MIDI IN on the slave.
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 05:43:48 PM »

Thanks,
DaveD

Hi DaveD,

I assume you want to control the Ketron SD90 expander via the Genos keyboard. In this case, I recommend first activating the preset MIDI template "KBD & STYLE" on the Genos in "Menu > MIDI". Then close the MIDI display.

Please connect the MIDI A OUT of the Genos to the MIDI IN2 (KEYB.) of the SD90 using a standard DIN MIDI cable.

Use one of the MIDI settings "STANDARD" or "KEYBOARD STYLE & VOICE" on the SD90.

Make sure the Genos LEFT part is turned ON to activate the Left Split Point. It may also work if the ACMP button is switched on instead (just try it out ;)).

When using the mentioned Genos MIDI template "KBD & STYLE" the UPPER part (right hand) is transmitted on MIDI channel 1 and the LOWER part (left hand) on channel 2. So make sure that on the SD90 for the mentioned MIDI IN2 channel 1 is set to control the Right Voices and channel 2 to control the Style.

P.S.
If you want to avoid Voices on the SD90 being accidentally switched by Genos program change commands, you can switch to the other page in the Genos MIDI settings (Transmit) with ">" and uncheck CC (Control Change ) and PC (Program Change) for UPPER and LOWER parts. Then save the settings as a User MIDI template. (Alternatively, if the SD90 has a MIDI input filter, you could block those MIDI commands there.)

Please also see the attached screenshots.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 07:14:26 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline DaveD

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 10:09:28 AM »
Thanks to all for the technical advice. I am not a technical person but my son will come over on Friday and set it up.

This is only a temporary measure as I intend to use the Ketron with my accordion once it is "midied".
DaveD

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 02:32:19 PM »
You're welcome, DaveD!

By the way, you can leave the suggested MIDI template "KBD & STYLE" permanently set on the Genos, even if you use the Genos "normally", i.e. not in connection with the SD90.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)