Author Topic: Drum Track  (Read 964 times)

Offline hossit

Drum Track
« on: January 26, 2023, 06:36:17 PM »
when you save a midi drum track and load into into a daw why is the drum kit all mixed up, just as an added note if you load a midi file that has drums in and then save it , it loads fine an the daw
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 06:51:58 PM by hossit »

Offline overover

Re: Drum Track
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 10:12:27 PM »
Hi hossit,

What exactly do you mean by "save a MIDI drum track"? Do you mean a STYLE that you save and then import into the DAW?

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: hossit

Offline hossit

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 10:44:57 AM »
Hi hossit,

What exactly do you mean by "save a MIDI drum track"? Do you mean a STYLE that you save and then import into the DAW?

Best regards,
Chris

no if i save a midi drum track on a usb stick on the sx700 and im port it into a daw into addictive drums it plays the wrong instruments in the kit

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 03:44:17 PM »
no if i save a midi drum track on a usb stick on the sx700 and im port it into a daw into addictive drums it plays the wrong instruments in the kit

Hi hossit,

So you record the drums of a style on the SX as a MIDI file and then use this .mid file on the computer. In order to achieve exactly the same result again, you have to play back the drum tracks (channels 9 and 10) in the DAW via the SX. I recommend using the preset MIDI template "All Parts" on the SX. If you are using a USB-MIDI connection to the computer, set the MIDI output port for the drum tracks in the DAW to "Digital Workstation 1". (The Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver must be installed on the computer.) This corresponds to the SX's MIDI Port 1 (Receive), which is used to control the internal SONG parts.

You mentioned "Addictive Drums". The drum kits of this software probably have a completely different key mapping than the preset drum kits of the SX. You can find the key mapping of the preset drum kits of your SX in Data List PDF. In order for Addictive Drums to trigger the desired drum sounds from a "drum track" created with the SX, you would probably have to either change the pitch of the MIDI notes in the relevant MIDI file, or, if possible, create a custom mapping in Addictive Drums. Since I am not familiar with this software in detail, I cannot give you any further information at the moment.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 03:45:45 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 05:30:22 PM »
Chris is spot on, as usual..  ;D

Drum note mapping is THE Classic problem when using plug-ins like Addictive Drums.

Yamaha drum kits are usually based on the General MIDI drum mapping. Not always so with drum plug-ins.

Even with Yamaha kits, you can only count on the core drum instruments like kick, snare, HH or cymbals. Outside of the core, pretty much anything goes. Simple to say, not so easy to fix, and definitely something that will cause you to tear your hair out.  :o

Sorry, but you have some work ahead of you -- pj

https://www.xlnaudio.com/support/beginners-guide-to-e-drums-with-addictive-drums-2