Author Topic: SX900 vs S975 its a very close call I think.  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Danny1972

SX900 vs S975 its a very close call I think.
« on: January 26, 2023, 02:32:44 PM »
Hello all, I hope I am finding you all well.

I've had an SX900 since the day it launched and I think it's a fantastic keyboard (and still do). At the time I hadn't had the S975 long (since it hadn't really been out that long before it got replaced), but ended up selling it, but I remembered at the time how much I really enjoyed it also. I regretted selling it and sought to try and get it back at some point. Well that point was today, I have been reunited with this wonderful keyboard again and is in absolutely immaculate condition which makes it more sweet.

Now, after exploring it all over again, I am really torn about it vs the SX900. Yes of course, the SX900 has new and additional stuff in terms of sounds and styles, a couple of new drum kits (not too many) taken from the revo samples, some nice retro styles, some great extra SA sounds and finally included the scat voices that I had been waiting for, a good amount of memory for the expansions plus of course the touch screen.

However after playing the S975 again, you know I actually think I prefer the screen of the S975, it's really looks fantastic and high res. I actually don't care one jot about touch screens. The S975 sounds every bit as good as the SX900 as well, the "plus" extra content is great and those audio styles are unique to the S975 and not offered up as free from Yamaha like the T5 ones are. It's also got a decent amount of memory for expansions not far off the SX900. I am going to try and see how the SX900 styles sound like on it and of course I am expecting some bits missing but wonder how easy to replace the missing tracks, I shouldn't think it would be that challenging.

Of course, at a push I would still choose the SX900 but I tell you the S975 is extremely close to it and in some areas I think it's better! Am I mad!!?? haha !

All the best,
Danny

Offline Toril S

Re: SX900 vs S975 its a very close call I think.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 03:07:41 PM »
I have the S975 and am very happy with it. I have tried the SX900 several times, but let it pass. The 975 is very well balanced.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 03:24:33 PM »
I'm kinda iffy on the touchscreen, otherwise IMO the SX900 is pretty much better than the previous S series. Keybed and sounds are a good upgrade.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 03:47:26 PM »
The SX900 adds the R3 voice and more DSP. In many ways it's more like a mini Tyros 5. The only real features missing are the Ensemble mode / multi track audio.

The S975 is a great machine in its own right of course, and there's no need to choose the SX instead if you don't want or need what it offers.

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 06:19:51 PM »
I have the S975 and am very happy with it. I have tried the SX900 several times, but let it pass. The 975 is very well balanced.

I agree I think the S975 is very well balanced, it is packed with a lot of stuff, the "plus" bank alone is very well designed and I like how Yamaha picked a nice variety from their expansion pack series.

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 06:22:19 PM »
I'm kinda iffy on the touchscreen, otherwise IMO the SX900 is pretty much better than the previous S series. Keybed and sounds are a good upgrade.

Absolutely the SX900 is the best PSR ever made and if I had to choose from the two at a push, it would be the SX900 however the S975 doesn't sound out of place next to it either!

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 06:28:08 PM »
The SX900 adds the R3 voice and more DSP. In many ways it's more like a mini Tyros 5. The only real features missing are the Ensemble mode / multi track audio.

The S975 is a great machine in its own right of course, and there's no need to choose the SX instead if you don't want or need what it offers.

That's a great summary. I thought the SX900 was a mini T4 than a T5 only because it plays almost all of the T4 styles perfectly except the ones with SA2 voices but there earn't many, whereas in the T5 there's more voices in the styles that are not in the SX900. Either way, yes it's a mini T4/T5 with elements on Genos thrown in. You could say the S975 is a mini T3 with some T4 & T5 elements. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 06:29:24 PM by Danny1972 »

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 06:58:01 PM »
Thanks for sharing those comments. It’s especially interesting for us SX owners who never played on an S975 before. The addition of the R3 voice on SX, at least for me, seems to be an important upgrade feature from the S975.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 07:29:09 PM »
I've said this several times: If on-board the styles are more important, the s975 is actually superior in this regard (however, the sx900 having Revo compatible drums makes it more future proof); yes, the on board audio styles (which Yamaha no longer offers for sale!) are s950/s970/975 only. And even though the sx900 has 1 GB of sample ram, a good chunk of it (approx 220mb) is already occupied, so in reality both have approx .75GB free; just that the sx900 is more flexible in that you can uninstall the factory installed expansion packs.

However, the triple sound layers (Right 1, 2, 3), the megavoice guitar arpeggiators (PSRs97x only has non mega arpeggiators) and the newer drum compatibility put the sx900 ahead if you're looking for future proofing. Not to mention the hundreds of extra choir/vocal, acoustic /Classical guitar voices, and new built in solo string voices (the s97x series by defaut has very poor solo violin/viola/cello)

But the s970/s975 are still really good, especially if 2 voice layers (Right 1 & 2) are all you'll need, and I prefer the non-touchscreen (particularly when editing).

Mark

Offline hans1966

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 08:52:43 PM »
Since I made the transition from the S975 to the SX900, I feel like I've made a big step.

starting with the bed of keys

It feels much better, firmer and more stable, compared to the flimsier 975.

the sound of the speakers is powerful and clear

easy access to the menus through the touch screen

chord loops and many more

and more

I really enjoy it more each day.

Although soon I will have to sell it, since in a couple of months I will travel to Europe, specifically to Spain, for work reasons and start a new life in that place.

It is very expensive to take my keyboard from Colombia to Spain on a plane, and it can be damaged in transit.

I hope with God's help to have my SX900 back once it is installed and working in that wonderful country.

Regards

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 09:47:05 PM »
Oh, my! I think my PSR- S950 is really the best keyboard Yamaha has released to date.

Light weight, 61 keys (all you need) with built in speakers for monitors. All the newer keyboard styles work in my keyboard.

Heck, if I sounded any more like a full REAL band... I might as well go karaoke. I am accused of that now.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

Offline Dievas

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 07:35:19 AM »
Since I made the transition from the S975 to the SX900, I feel like I've made a big step.

starting with the bed of keys

It feels much better, firmer and more stable, compared to the flimsier 975.

the sound of the speakers is powerful and clear

easy access to the menus through the touch screen

chord loops and many more

and more

I really enjoy it more each day.

Although soon I will have to sell it, since in a couple of months I will travel to Europe, specifically to Spain, for work reasons and start a new life in that place.

It is very expensive to take my keyboard from Colombia to Spain on a plane, and it can be damaged in transit.

I hope with God's help to have my SX900 back once it is installed and working in that wonderful country.

Regards

Hans

Still no issues with the keybed? (Noisy keys. Specially the black ones)

Offline hans1966

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 07:03:08 PM »
Hello Dievas, I managed to solve it.

I took it to the technical service when the problem just started, and from there I never heard noise again.

regards

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"