Author Topic: External Clock Midi Sync  (Read 594 times)

Offline Bluesguy

External Clock Midi Sync
« on: January 25, 2023, 11:15:27 PM »
I record to my Tascam DP-32SD Portastudio in my studio.  I have been using my PSR-SX900 producing a main backing track using the styles for drums and base and adding some keyboard stuff.  Once happy then recording that onto a stereo track onto the Tascam and then adding any other live tracks, guitar and vocals mainly but other keyboards stuff too.  The SD version of the the Tascam does not have MIDI in/out. It is strictly and "analog" recording console as far as what is being recorded and  transport and timing. No problem unless you decide you don't like something with the backing track and already have a bunch of live stuff recorded.

The new Tascam studio models do have that and was looking at maybe moving to one of those but not as many recording and mixing features.  So I read up on using a MIDI sync box and the old school way of "striping", recording, a timing track onto one of the channels and then using that track back through the MIDI sync box to control and sync any midi devices hooked up to it.

Got a Motu Micro Express which is designed to do just that very thing. Manual is here https://motu.com/techsupport/manuals

Hooked up the MME SMPTE out going on to an outside track on the Tascam and "striped" it by recording about 10 minutes of time coding. Rewind and play going out an effects send into the MME SMPTE in and yep there is tone and the warbles on the track, the tracking light on the MME and then lock light lights up and frames starts counting.  So great so far.

Now comes the PSR. I hook the MME Channel five MIDI out as the manual says
"MIDI outputs 5 and 6 are reserved for MIDI Machine devices, as these ports are programmed to receive MIDI Time Code and MMC transport commands from the micro express."
to the MIDI in on the PRS.

Set the routing in the MME so that MTC and MCC is being sent to MIDI out 5.

Then in the MIDI settings on the PRS set the present to Ext Clock.  Leave everything else default.

Hit play on the Tascam and the MME lights up showing track lock and that is is sending over MIDI out 5.

The PSR just sits there does not start up with the Tascam.  I go to the receive part of the PSR settings and I do not see the receive light blinking on any channel along the bottom  Port 1 (midi/usb1).

I tried a different MIDI cable and same thing.
I hooked a MIDI control pedal I have and pressed a button that sends a CC and the a receive light flashes so the PSR can receive MIDI data.

And ideas?  Anyone successfully done this?

Offline Bluesguy

Re: External Clock Midi Sync
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 09:21:24 PM »
Ok on the phone with Motu Tech Support and they think it is because neither the PSR or my Alesis SR18 run on Midi Time Code (MTC) but rather Midi Beat Clock (MTB). Can anyone confirm?