Author Topic: SX900 Tutorial ?  (Read 2286 times)

Stevengale

SX900 Tutorial ?
« on: January 08, 2023, 09:00:44 AM »
Hi,

I'm a professional level acoustic guitar based songwriter and I bought an SX900 to arrange and compose over the various styles (mostly rock and country).  The problem is the 900 is (at least to me) is not all that intuitive if you're starting from scratch on the learning curve.  I had a genos for a couple of months but I never really learned how to use it but it sure was fun goofing around with it!

Two more problems are 1). I'm not a keyboard player (I use blue painters tape put on the keys I'm allowed to hit when recording my inspirations, lol) and 2). I have a learning (reading) disability that makes just reading the F'ing manual a bit of a challenge.  So I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but am looking for a good basic tutorial on using this puppy, particularly the recording components of arranging tracks for non piano gurus.

I looked feverishly on YouTube and found a few, but they are not really very comprehensive.... mostly focused on a single topic.  Anyone know of tutorial (paid or not) that would kinda start me off in the right direction?  Again, just using it for songwriting composition purposes and building song structures to submit to the studio for making song demos of original songs.

Thanks

The following users thanked this post: mhack

madirv

Re: SX900 Tutorial ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 09:09:27 AM »
Hi there,
Im pretty new to this post too and this is the first time I have EVER dared to answer a post----I'm usually the one asking the questions!!!  Other people far more experienced than me will be along shortly to offer advice.
However, my view is that----I searched forever to find a book that would give me the info I wanted but they simply do not exist.
I very recently changed my keyboard to the sx900 and sort of "started again" battling through it all.  The manuals are really not that good and "I feel your pain" regarding your comments about the *** manual but since swopping my keyboard I went back to the Home Page of this website and started again with the Start here" and the "lessons" section and I found that enormously helpful and very well written and explained.  I think you would find this very helpful.  Read it slowly and just do a bit at a time.
Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.
Kind regards
Irene
PS  Ive just looked at the Lessons page and there is a page on Recording Songs----its an article written by Joe Waters and headed "Recording Midi and Wav"
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but may be helpful
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 09:17:27 AM by madirv »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 11:02:09 AM »
Irene described the problem very well: initial learning is a real battle. But after the "ice is broken", it becomes easier and you will say "yeah, of course.. that makes sense!".
It would be so much easier, if there would be someone next to you, able to answer your questions as they come and show you the process. Ok, we all hate manuals -because they never directly answer our questions. Still, I highly recommend you to read it from first to last page. It doesn't matter if you understand everything just now and you can also skip "boring" paragraphs. More important is, that you know the content in general and that you become familiar with terminology. That way you will be able to find the solution by yourself: "How do I do that?.. wait, I saw that somewhere in manual!". At the same time, it will be easier for you to follow various tutorials on Youtube -which are of great help (once you find the right ones).
And as strange as it might sound right now, you'll realize that manual actually isn't that bad  ::)
I recommend to start with "Reference manual". Again, don't try to learn and remember everything at once!
And finally, if there's specific question, describe what exactly you wish to do and someone here will try to answer your question.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 11:18:00 AM »
It’s easy for people to join this forum and completely miss the fact that the main part of this website is a set of tutorials, ie a “how to” on these keyboards. Hit the PSR tutorial support” at the to right and it takes you there. Plunge into the lessons. They are generally written for older Yamaha keyboards but the basics are the same fir the SX900. Start experimenting, and post very specific questions on the forum when you cannot make things work.
Mike

Offline TiasDad

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 11:47:18 AM »
I was pretty much in the same boat a few years ago, had played guitar for most of my life in club bands etc, but as time went on, the arthritis crept in and it became difficult moving the fingers as freely or with any speed. I didn't want to give up my beloved music so I took these keyboard things up. I started by going over the material that I was playing on the guitar but researching and learning the chords on the keys rather than the frets, then progressed to new material.
You've already got the benefit of a good knowledge of music theory so all you need is the practice (the fun part)

Good luck and never forget that there's a great bunch of knowledgeable people here to help if you get stuck.

The only stupid questions are those never asked :)

madirv

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 02:38:21 PM »
Hi Bogdan,
I would like to add to my post that despite my remarks about the manual I have in fact ploughed through both that and the PSR S975 one and I do agree with you actually.   They are not that bad (you should read the casio CK7600 manual that I had before---whoever wrote that should be arrested!!! it was dreadful) but as you say they don't specifically answer questions.  They tell you how to adjust various parameters and attack and reverb etc but they dont tell you what this is for and there's nothing about "how to play it".  And--like you---I did find the reference manual (I assume that's the one on the internet website and not the Owners manual) very helpful and more detailed in parts than the owners manual.   They are just a bit over facing in parts and I think Stevengale may have difficulty as he says he has reading difficulties and not used to keyboards.

I felt quite brave answering a post---glad I didnt get shot down in flames  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
Irene

The following users thanked this post: RONBO

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 05:38:23 PM »
hi Irene,
You described quite well, what was I trying to say about (reference) manual. I think the best way to learn about keyboard, is to just try things. I mean, nothing can be damaged by doing so... and we usually don't easily forget things that we learn by ourself.
A short story comes to mind: I had PSR-S775 before, which has dedicated FADE IN/OUT button on panel. It's very handy and I used it now and then. When I bough SX700, I didn't realized at once, that this button is missing (I realized that maybe a month later). I was quite disappointed by the fact that such "important" button doesn't exist anymore. Still I though, that there must be a possibility how to make fade-out to happen. And so I opened reference manual and searched for "fade out" words. And there was the answer! -and everything was fine again  ;D
Yes, having reading troubles can really be a problem... videos can help a lot, but learning process is slower, I think.

And finally, don't hesitate to share your thoughts. There's no wrong or right, they are your opinions and experiences -valid as anyone else's.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

madirv

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 07:01:10 PM »
Hey Bogdan-----I too noticed that Fade out button wasnt on the xs900 and I rather liked that.  I did discover that if you press the Ending button twice it slows the ending down (think I picked that up from the tutorials on this site) which does produce a good sound but its not the same as the fade out button.  Thanks for that---Ill go dig out the manual now ;D ;D ;D
I've picked up a lot of info from your comments alone---thanks for always replying  ;D ;D
Irene

The following users thanked this post: Aquilauno

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2023, 09:23:56 PM »
Yes, there is no dedicated Fade In/Out button on PSR-SX models and Genos. But as mentioned in the Assignable Functions List in the Reference Manual, this function can be assigned to an Assignable Button or a Foot Switch, or to the "ROTARY SP / ASSIGNABLE" button if desired.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 07:12:37 PM »
Irene,

A YTube channel called Krazy49 has an over 3 hour tutorial/demo how various functions on SX900 operate. It’s broken up by chapters (see the video’s description notes to access the specific chapters). I think the presenter’s name is Michael who is from Bonner’s Music in the U.K. and you can tell he puts a lot of effort into it.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

madirv

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 11:00:23 AM »
Hi Rich
Thanks for that  I will check it out.  I am familiar with Bonners music ----didnt buy mine from there----but have seen a few of their short videos.  3 HOURS seems as if it would be pretty comprehensive and I'll enjoy checking that out.  Hubby can make his own meals today and the ironing can wait  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thanks
Irene

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 11:19:05 AM »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2023, 02:00:07 PM »
Some times these can be a little confusing and the adverts don't help. I still find that when you have a problem just ask for help as you go along and you won't find you have to wade through things you are not ready to do yet. Some of the things on this video you may never want to use.
  One thing you could do is set your Fade out to button "F" on your assignable buttons though.

madirv

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2023, 04:08:17 PM »
Thanks Eileen,
I found the video and think I have seen it before and started to watch it previously but think I must have got a bit overwhelmed.  3 hours is quite a long time to absorb info but I'll do a quick check later.  and thanks for the tip about the fade out button being assigned.  I did quite like that feature on the S975.
But thanks again Rick for the link.
Irene

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2023, 04:11:13 PM »
It's not easy to give a simple answer to a rather complex question, especially for a new Yamaha arranger player.
In addition to all of the recommendations already submitted, this FAQ document from Michael Bedesem is a valuable reference for many questions on the "How To"  https://app.box.com/s/yos0am3g2pi5ofrzt2pum5zics8qytc5

(Edited to correct link for sharing)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 10:31:18 PM by LaHawk »
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline mhack

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2023, 04:18:08 PM »
I am not a pianist so I opted to always use the Single Finger method for chord progressions. Been doing that for 20 years. The Forum is the best reference for “How To” solve keyboard operations. Be patient. You can do it!
Mhack

Offline overover

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2023, 08:57:18 PM »
It's not easy to give a simple answer to a rather complex question, especially for a new Yamaha arranger player.
In addition to all of the recommendations already submitted, this FAQ document from Michael Bedesem is a valuable reference for many questions on the "How To"
https://app.box.com/file/1122947146226

Hi Larry,

Your link requires registration/login at box.com. But Michael Bedesem's FAQ document can also be downloaded from the following page here in the forum:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/lessons/faq/PSRFAQ.htm

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2023, 10:27:05 PM »
Thanks Chris
I've corrected the link to "shared" https://app.box.com/s/yos0am3g2pi5ofrzt2pum5zics8qytc5
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

The following users thanked this post: overover

Offline Mjm

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2023, 06:42:06 AM »
As far as the "fade in/out button", on my sx900 it is on the B assignable button.  Came that way from the factory.

madirv

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2023, 07:19:13 AM »
MJM------I just found that last night by chance---yes its button B and the factory setting.