Author Topic: Help! Strange USB activity for a Style on SX700  (Read 1058 times)

Offline dlepera

Help! Strange USB activity for a Style on SX700
« on: January 25, 2023, 04:20:31 PM »
Hello, from time to time I have loaded styles onto a usb into existing style folders and on occasion some styles can not be found by my SX700, yet the file is good as my Simplified Sytle Player V1.0 plays them with no problems. Have to assume that if this is fine, then the keyboard should have no issue. Wrong!.

Example, in the OTS/SYTLE board I downloaded "Crimson and Clover that Roger has just provided and the style player played it fine on my pc. I then simply copied it on to my USB into an existing file folder name of "C" which by the way only has 5(keyboard) pages of styles in it so it is not a big file folder. My computer lists the file, again the style player plays it but when I put the USB into my keyboard, and search or display, this file is not found regardless of what I do(specific search), page through search,folder search directly in file "C"(all the other styles in this "C" folder are still fine and in tack), turning off/the board does not help iether. 

Note that there was a "PSD.SDB' file in this  "C" folder which I have no idea what it is so I deleted anyway and this made no difference.

Any idea what is going on?     

Regards        dom
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:25:54 PM by dlepera »
Life is a learning experience and sharing it is it's biggest reward!

Offline Toril S

Re: Help! Strange USB activity for a Style on SX700
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 05:26:34 PM »
Are you sure that it is a style and not a MIDI? It may also be that the style name is too long. Try to give the file a shorter name.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline dlepera

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 09:20:52 PM »
Hello Toril.  The file name is  'Crimson and Clover.sty' , the link that Roger provided for this style is below and the post says that the others have downloaded it and using it ok. The length is fine as I have other styles with longer names.
 https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahyvu8brH-fUgYdPljOL_0QXHJoVpA?e=WpzXWc  this is the link Roger provided for the sty. 

Here is the link to the related post where I have put some added comments.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,65168.msg494383.html#msg494383

thanks .   dom

« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 09:40:16 PM by dlepera »

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 10:13:48 PM »
Hi Dom,

You speak of different "searches". The SX700 may not have updated the internal search index yet. Then new files may not be found on the USB stick. Just leave the keyboard switched on for an hour (with the USB stick connected) and the index should update automatically.

What if you navigate directly to the relevant folder on the USB stick in the Style Selection display (without using the Search function)? The style should be displayed here in any case.

P.S.
The "PSD.SDB" file was created by the "PSR Style Database" program:
>>> https://wierzba.homepage.t-online.de/psd/psdscreen.htm

You can ignore this file (it's a simple text file) or delete it if it bothers you. The next time you read the contents of the USB stick back into the "PSR Style Database", a new "PSD.SDB" file will be created on the stick.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 10:14:48 PM »
Hello, from time to time I have loaded styles onto a usb into existing style folders and on occasion some styles can not be found by my SX700, yet the file is good as my Simplified Sytle Player V1.0 plays them with no problems. Have to assume that if this is fine, then the keyboard should have no issue. Wrong!.

Example, in the OTS/SYTLE board I downloaded "Crimson and Clover that Roger has just provided and the style player played it fine on my pc. I then simply copied it on to my USB into an existing file folder name of "C" which by the way only has 5(keyboard) pages of styles in it so it is not a big file folder. My computer lists the file, again the style player plays it but when I put the USB into my keyboard, and search or display, this file is not found regardless of what I do(specific search), page through search,folder search directly in file "C"(all the other styles in this "C" folder are still fine and in tack), turning off/the board does not help iether. 

What is the full path name of the file? Even if the file name is a reasonable length, if it's nested too deeply, the full name might be too much for the keyboard, as there's a maximum character limit (typically around 50 characters).

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline dlepera

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 11:26:12 PM »
Hi Chris and Fred. Appreciate your always welcomed responses. 

It does not matter if I go directly to the folder other than the search, The direct look up in this "C" folder on this USB does not see it. Path name is simple F:/C on the laptop. I have no idea how to get properties on the keyboard if there is such a way. On the keyboard it is "USER1 page 16 and folder C if that helps.  Also put it on 2 other cloned USBs and got the same results so that ruled out a USB issue.
  Doubt that this may affect it not sure, is described in the link to the post where Roger provided the actual style(I posted in previously).  When I click on his link rather than get a nice clean display of the file name presented to me for the download, it presented strange code filling the computer page along with the "download' radio button.. I of course clicked on the "download" and the style file downloaded ok, played ok on the PC with the simple player program. 

I don't think that makes a difference now as I did one test and put the same style file on a new USB with nothing on it and the results were as follows:
1. A direct locate found it and played it ok
2. The search function could not find it so what you are saying about the automatic search should work after a long power on cycle. 

The second thing I just did now and while drastic was a factory reset using instructions that you(Chris) provided in a post https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,56405.msg439306.html#msg439306

And BINGO this solved my issue.  I know, not something that should be done or I like doing as I now have to go and set things back up but there was a benefit. I had the 1.10 firmware and by doing this I managed to find that there is V1.11 so have upgraded to this level.

Another problem that I noticed a few days back was with some sytles which I never used, and when I did try to use them they would just drop the master volume of the keyboard right down and disabled the volume control knob and regardless of what style I selected after that the volume did not change until powered off/on.  I deleted those styles and have not had that problem again. If they had left residual junk hiding on my keyboard this factory reset may be an added bonus(don't know).

Note:
   As added info and suspect that it does not hurt the Keyboard in anyway or contributed to this issue is that for about a year now I have 3 USBs always connected and they are all cones of each other. So whenever I make changes to one I repeat to the others.  I know crazy.. but working in Mainframe Storage for many years has taught a lot about the need for replication of data. USBs do go bad, just had one the other day when it just stopped working out of the blue and of course did not impact me in anyway(had backup).

Best Regards. dom

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 03:38:14 AM by dlepera »

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 02:44:14 AM »
Im glad you fixed it. Yeah i see that the Firmware was having issues and the udated version helped you alot i see. So Basically i think it was just a Flaw in the Oparating system.